Nuff of the Ice - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-24-2015, 10:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,014
Default Nuff of the Ice

I know a little how you upper East coast guys felt after your "Sandy" storm a while back.
Last week we had about a 1/4" of ice, then 3-4" of snow. Big deal right?
Well the stuff lingered all week then Friday night it started snowing again then turned to just ice. So there was about 1/2" more ice that fell. Add that to what we already had and the trees couldn't take it anymore.

You might have seen it on the news. It was in Middle to East Tennessee. There was around 15000 to 20000 power outages just in my area alone.
Myself and two other electricians teamed up and have been putting services back up since Saturday, pretty much non-stop.

Bad thing is even when we get the services back up the grid is still down in some areas and won't be back up for days. I don't mind the work but not used to working late in the dark with below freezing temperatures.

But when I think of the people having to stay home with no power, I don't feel so bad. Most don't want to leave for fear of getting there house broken into. Some don't have family to go to or the money to get a hotel.

Still getting calls for work and don't know how much more damage there may be that hasn't been found yet. Top that off with more snow forecast for tomorrow.
We're hoping that either the snow won't hit or no further damage will result from it.
A Little Short is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A Little Short For This Useful Post:
360max (02-26-2015)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 11:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 480

Soon enough we'll be bitchin about the heat..... I'll take it though.
Voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Voltron For This Useful Post:
360max (02-26-2015), hardworkingstiff (02-26-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 11:21 PM   #3

We got 4 or 5 more calls today for services being down.
I've been wondering why we're still getting calls for "downed" services since the power has been out since Saturday morning. Turns out some people just assumed the power was out because the main lines or grid was out.
But when they see their neighbors have power and they don't they call the POCO back.
They never even looked to see that their service was pulled loose from the house or pole if it is a mobile home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 02:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 608

That sir is why I live where I do. Can't even remember when the last time I saw snow or friggin 30 degree F. You guys can have that bullchit!
MXer774 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MXer774 For This Useful Post:
Black Dog (02-26-2015), BuzzKill (02-26-2015), hardworkingstiff (02-26-2015), Knightryder12 (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 02:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 14,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXer774 View Post
That sir is why I live where I do. Can't even remember when the last time I saw snow or friggin 30 degree F. You guys can have that bullchit!
That's why I left Winchester VA. The year I left we had 18" the 2nd week of February, then 10 days later another 14". I know that's nothing compared to Boston, but it's way more than I want to put up with.
Three vastly different enemies, but enemies who shared one common trait. ALL of them stifle free speech. All of them bully, degrade and terrorize those who hold opposing views and who peacefully express them. All of them are intolerant and demand “loyalty” to the leader. Michael Sand
hardworkingstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hardworkingstiff For This Useful Post:
Knightryder12 (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 09:15 PM   #6

My pansy arse couldn't even bare the lil bit of snow/ sleet we had a couple years back. That crap sent me running to my truck and to the house for an antifreeze stiff bourbon and coke.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:19 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10,178

Quote:
The last time I saw ice, I was looking in my freezer. The last time I saw snow, I had to drive for over an hour to get to it. I am here to tell you that snow is a lot of fun, well worth the drive.
Liberal Paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only authorities have guns. We have such a place. It's called prison.
five.five-six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #8

I'll back that statement. I take the family to Colorado (try to annually) and the snow can be a magical blast for them and myself at times. But living and working in it, once again, not me .
Old 02-26-2015, 09:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Yeah, well I'll get back to you in hurricane season!
Old 02-26-2015, 10:28 PM   #10

Bring it I'm ready. My generac needs a good exercise again. Besides that them storms sure do bring me some serious coin. Emergency calls everywhere at all times.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:45 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 14,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
The last time I saw ice, I was looking in my freezer. The last time I saw snow, I had to drive for over an hour to get to it. I am here to tell you that snow is a lot of fun, well worth the drive.
I bet it's more fun when you go to it than when it comes to you.
Three vastly different enemies, but enemies who shared one common trait. ALL of them stifle free speech. All of them bully, degrade and terrorize those who hold opposing views and who peacefully express them. All of them are intolerant and demand “loyalty” to the leader. Michael Sand
hardworkingstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #12
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 3,949

Here's some ice I might be visiting this Saturday, weather permitting.

Alton Bay Ice Runway:

Nuff of the Ice-image.jpg

How's that for ice?

Last edited by flyboy; 02-27-2015 at 12:39 PM.
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flyboy For This Useful Post:
shocksystems (02-28-2015)