Occupancy sensor issue, Part Ii - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By 99cents

Old 05-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #1
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,673
Default Occupancy sensor issue, Part Ii

I was having occupancy sensor issues. The problems were random with no consistency to work with and troubleshoot. I phoned Lutron last week and we seemed to have the issues solved with programming and then they started acting up again.

I phoned Lutron again today and got a different tech. He said occupancy sensors are very sensitive to grounding (or bonding, whatever). My bond is EMT and the bare wire in AC90. When he heard I was using EMT, he thought he found the problem - higher than tolerable resistance. Are they that sensitive? Maybe so.

The test is to use the neutral wire rather than ground. I did this and they are now working, at least in test mode. The meter shows no break in my bond and the sensors were working, just not working propely. The permanent fix is to special order occ sensors with a neutral.

This isn't the first time I have had issues with devices that use the ground rather than neutral for the electronics. Try putting an occ sensor on a ground fault protected circuit and you will have nothing but trouble.

Last edited by 99cents; 05-02-2018 at 12:04 PM.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,283

When installed correctly, with locknuts and set screws tight to spec, emt will have less resistance than the insulated green conductor running thru it. I won't be able to pull up the study on this factoid readily, I had it on one of the other laptops I ruined with coffee just like how this one will if I keep this nonsense up parking my cup right smack dab in front of the thing. Of course that study was funded by the steel tubing industry so buyer beware.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:40 PM   #3
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,382

I'm waiting for Part III

I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #4
Petulant Amateur

It's coming, Dave. I think what mac says is true.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
When installed correctly, with locknuts and set screws tight to spec, emt will have less resistance than the insulated green conductor running thru it. I won't be able to pull up the study on this factoid readily, I had it on one of the other laptops I ruined with coffee just like how this one will if I keep this nonsense up parking my cup right smack dab in front of the thing. Of course that study was funded by the steel tubing industry so buyer beware.
It's called "The Georgia Tech Model" and it was funded by the Steel Tube Institute and presented to NEMA. It's been peer reviewed and repeated a couple of times since it came out, with identical results.

https://steeltubeinstitute.org/steel...2/GROUNDIN.pdf
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:03 PM   #6
Petulant Amateur

Here's Part III: Customer arrived and said screw it, put in normal switches. Problem solved .
The Following User Says Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
billyhunter (05-20-2018)