Offset Bend Up And To The Left - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By swimmer
  • 1 Post By macmikeman
  • 2 Post By toctami
  • 2 Post By splatz
  • 4 Post By CoolWill

Old 04-04-2019, 11:44 PM   #1
Swimmer

Rewards Points: 652
Default Offset Bend Up And To The Left

I had to make an offset bend to reach a point 4 inches higher and 5 inches to the left. I used the 6.5" row in the offset bend table to determine 9 3/16 inches between bends for 45 degrees.

I used the 6.5" row because SQRT(4*4 + 5*5) = 6.4

It worked!

I could not find this calculation with a Google search.

Is this really how it's done? If yes, then why do I never see it in conduit tutorials or guides?
HertzHound likes this.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 11:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 778

From what I’ve seen most guides are basic. Even if they get into segment offsets.

Cox has a book for advanced techniques. I never bought it because I was afraid after spending the money there would be nothing new in it.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:35 AM   #3
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,315

I got Cox's book, I got Benfield's book, I got lots of bending books. I got ADD.

Numbers books might just as well be toilet paper, and then they would be useful to me. Can't remember my own Sister's birthdays. Brain gets stuck.
tmessner likes this.
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2019, 12:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 12

That's the Pythagorean theorem, it's what I always use for rolled offsets. I've never seen it in a conduit book, one of my supervising journeymen taught it to me years ago

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
glen1971 and B-Nabs like this.
toctami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:25 AM   #5
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,064

A rolling offset is just like any other offset. Very seldom do I use the Pythagoream theorem to calculate the depth of a rolling offset, you can just measure it.
Bird dog and CoolWill like this.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:57 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,388

Find a square corner on something (You know, like, 90 degrees). From the corner measure and mark your offset dimensions along each leg. Measure diagonally between marks. That is your rolling offset depth.
360max, tjb, splatz and 1 others like this.
360max (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 84

I'm pretty sure our apprenticeship conduit bending course book brought up ol' Pythagoras for use with rolling offsets. Not entirely sure, because I used that theorem damn near every time I ran pipe. I tried to get more comfortable with the trig aspects of conduit bending rather than just the basic multipliers and it turns out it's quite a bit more work you don't need to do for every dang bend!

BUT it got me a lot more comfortable with the calculations so I could take 'em apart and use them for things like accurately figuring kicks on the stubby side of the 90, offsets at custom angles etc.
Jarp Habib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:04 AM   #8
Sentimental Mental

Rewards Points: 1,440
Default Maths, go figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Is this really how it's done?

Properly, yes, but just bending the offset by eye and rolling it til it fits can work too.

Just to be absolutely clear...
I didn't say anything about nothing to nobody.
CTshockhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 14

App “iBend Pipe” easy to use & has calculation for rolled offset. Before the app I have measured my up & over- drew it out on the floor - then measured the diagonal.
Recta Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypotenuse