Ohms Pyramid - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 08-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Ohms Pyramid

Hi, first I'd like to start with a little about myself, I come to this field with a background in 3D graphics and computer code. I was doing some pre-class studying, when I came across ohms wheel. Now, I'm not about to say I've reinvented the wheel, but I found it rather disorganized. I saw a lot of different pictures, it seemed no one could really agree on where to place which values, or even what letters to use. I mean some use watts or W while others use P... The most common, or closest to a standard form is PEIR. I liked it because it places the "opposite" values in opposite corners. I know watts isn't opposite ohms anymore than volts is opposite amps, yet, well, mathematically they sort of are. So I will be calling things opposite that aren't quite opposite, just like I will be calling my circle more symmetrical. A thing is either symmetric or not, yet mine is more symmetric...
Look...

So yeah, the first two pics in that little row of circles I found online. The first has (W)atts instead of P, and it's next to it's opposite, (R)esistance. Wrong.
The second is closer, it has all the quadrants correct except it's still a little disorganized. When I first saw this, Friday, I had a real hard time getting these formulas to stick in my memory. I noticed patterns, yet they weren't lining up correctly. It wasn't quite right. So I made my own.

The third pic, is mine. I color coded the formula sections so that each pair of values was assigned it's unique colour. The patterns were beginning to form. Next I moved some of the equations around. Methodically. I arranged the equations so that the wedges were in the "proper" order, more symmetrical.

^ My colour coded ohms wheel

Now this is a bit more of a leap. From the newly color coded wheel one can see how the opposite edges are similar to each other. A little geometrical trimming and bending and we have what I've named, Ohms Pyramid.

I've attached a zip file here. It has a .blend inside it, for anyone who is familiar with Blender 3D computer graphics you can download the blend and view a 3D Ohms Pyramid on your pc. Otherwise you can print the pyramid picture and fold your own 3D Ohms Pyramid. Mine is drying, I'll be sure to post a pic of the real thing soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Ohms Pyramid-ohms-pyramid.png  

Ohms Pyramid-ohms-wheel-colour-coded.png  

Ohms Pyramid-ohms-circle-subtle-changes.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: zip Ohms Pyramid.zip (76.1 KB, 9 views)
DMcP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DMcP For This Useful Post:
ralpha494 (08-05-2013)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,694

Quote:
I saw a lot of different pictures, it seemed no one could really agree on where to place which values, or even what letters to use. I mean some use watts or W while others use P... The most common, or closest to a standard form is PEIR.
I must be getting too old for this, I find the wheel simple and easy to follow, it does not matter where the center I, E, P, R goes as long as the math works.
BBQ (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,522

Thanx for taking the time to do & post all that. I think it might be helpful to use the color wheel for n00bs. The 3D pyramid would get crushed in my wallet. I'll put one together & see if it's any easier to understand & use in the classroom. I can't give it a "like" so I'll give you a "thanks". So now electricity isn't all math, it's colors too.
ralpha494 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ralpha494 For This Useful Post:
papaotis (08-05-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,006

You don't need any of that crap

E P
I R I E

That is all you need!
Rochsolid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rochsolid For This Useful Post:
Wirenuting (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochsolid View Post

E P
I R I E

That is all you need!
and if you know the math you can do all the other portions of the wheel from this.

Last edited by brian john; 08-05-2013 at 10:08 PM.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brian john For This Useful Post:
Rochsolid (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #6

Quote:

E P
I R I E

That is all you need!
I see where you're going there, but how does that help you know which formula gets the square root, and which gets squared?

Either way, me drawing all this s*#t has engraved the formulas in my head.
Here's the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Ohms Pyramid-img_2986.jpg  

Ohms Pyramid-img_2987.jpg  

Ohms Pyramid-img_2989.jpg  

Ohms Pyramid-img_2990.jpg  

Old 08-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralpha494 View Post
Thanx for taking the time to do & post all that....

So now electricity isn't all math, it's colors too.
You're welcome, and you'd be surprised how much math is in colours.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSL_and_HSV
Old 08-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcP

I see where you're going there, but how does that help you know which formula gets the square root, and which gets squared?

Either way, me drawing all this s*#t has engraved the formulas in my head.
Here's the pictures.
It's easier to learn the math and how to transpose the formulas then trying to memorize this weird 3D triangle you've got going on. Just my opinion, but if it works for you then good on tou
Rochsolid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rochsolid For This Useful Post:
someonespecial (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #9

Quote:
It's easier to learn the math and how to transpose the formulas then trying to memorize this weird 3D triangle you've got going on. Just my opinion, but if it works for you then good on tou
If you know how to transpose all the portions of the wheel you do not need anything but a pencil and a piece of cardboard to amaze your fellow electricians.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #10

Quote:
I don't intend for this to be memorized, print off the sheet and fold it, or better yet get a 3D printer and print the 3D file It is more for teaching the relationship between formulas, how to transpose the portions will become quickly apparent when some one new picks up this pyramid for the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
If you know how to transpose all the portions of the wheel you do not need anything but a pencil and a piece of cardboard to amaze your fellow electricians.
Exactly, this isn't for those who know how to transpose all the portions of the wheel. This is a tool / toy for someone new to the subject. I gave the first one to my 8 year old.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #11
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 5,504

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcP
Hi, first I'd like to start with a little about myself, I come to this field with a background in 3D graphics and computer code. I was doing some pre-class studying, when I came across ohms wheel. Now, I'm not about to say I've reinvented the wheel, but I found it rather disorganized. I saw a lot of different pictures, it seemed no one could really agree on where to place which values, or even what letters to use. I mean some use watts or W while others use P... The most common, or closest to a standard form is PEIR. I liked it because it places the "opposite" values in opposite corners. I know watts isn't opposite ohms anymore than volts is opposite amps, yet, well, mathematically they sort of are. So I will be calling things opposite that aren't quite opposite, just like I will be calling my circle more symmetrical. A thing is either symmetric or not, yet mine is more symmetric...
Look...

So yeah, the first two pics in that little row of circles I found online. The first has (W)atts instead of P, and it's next to it's opposite, (R)esistance. Wrong.
The second is closer, it has all the quadrants correct except it's still a little disorganized. When I first saw this, Friday, I had a real hard time getting these formulas to stick in my memory. I noticed patterns, yet they weren't lining up correctly. It wasn't quite right. So I made my own.

The third pic, is mine. I color coded the formula sections so that each pair of values was assigned it's unique colour. The patterns were beginning to form. Next I moved some of the equations around. Methodically. I arranged the equations so that the wedges were in the "proper" order, more symmetrical.

^ My colour coded ohms wheel

Now this is a bit more of a leap. From the newly color coded wheel one can see how the opposite edges are similar to each other. A little geometrical trimming and bending and we have what I've named, Ohms Pyramid.

I've attached a zip file here. It has a .blend inside it, for anyone who is familiar with Blender 3D computer graphics you can download the blend and view a 3D Ohms Pyramid on your pc. Otherwise you can print the pyramid picture and fold your own 3D Ohms Pyramid. Mine is drying, I'll be sure to post a pic of the real thing soon.
Did you also remove all the stickers on a Rubics cube as a child?

Keep it simple.
Or better yet, learn how to make a right triangle with a folding ruler.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #12
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 5,504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochsolid

E P
I R I E

That is all you need!
^^^^^^^
x2