One circuit per room (resi) - Page 4 - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion


Like Tree120Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2019, 10:38 AM   #61
Senile Member
 
macmikeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 26,766
Rewards Points: 15,879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
If a Canadian is cold, he puts on a sweater .
No. If a Canadian is cold, he moves to Florida, and then Hawaii and leaves all the stupid ones behind to freeze.
splatz likes this.
__________________
Thought for the Day: President Trump is the first sitting U.S. president to EVER step foot in North Korea... Obama got a Nobel Peace Prize for being black.
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-24-2019, 10:47 AM   #62
Hackenschmidt
 
splatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8,159
Rewards Points: 3,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
The difference is substantial in terms of energy efficiency, comfort and air quality (health). The NRC studies arenít skewed because we have decades of practical experience.

I canít put it any other way. We have lived it both ways. You havenít.
This was directed at Hackworth but...

Just so we're on the same page - for at least 30 years in the US, we've been pretty gung ho on insulation in residential construction, including framing houses with 2x6s, etc. Also dryvit with exterior foam board on top of the 2x6 insulation has been pretty popular at least 20 years.

Around here - people very often upgrade, live in older starter homes when they're young, then build their dream custom home much larger and see much smaller heat bills in the bigger more modern house.

We just haven't been as gung ho with the vapor barrier, although we're pretty gung ho with the moisture barrier and caulking the daylights out of the exterior envelope. I haven't worked on a custom home that wasn't framed with 2x6's in quite a while.

As far as air quality - honestly I think the drafty old places have better air quality than the tight knit modern boxes. We have no smog here, letting in outdoor air is considered pleasant

The thing I am skeptical about is the difference between a decent vapor barrier and a maxed out vapour barrier, and even more so, the importance of tiny defects in the vapor barrier. When a building is sealed up enough that you have to blow in makeup air, what's the difference if you blow in 10000 cubic feet per day with a great vapor barrier, or you blow in 9000 cubic feet per day with 1000 coming in past the vapor barrier? Houses are not sealed up like submarines.

Unless you've lived in a well insulated house with a perfect Canadian style vapour barrier, and an identical well insulated house with a so-so US style vapor barrier, you haven't lived an apples to apples comparison, so it's unlikely anyone will change their mind over anecdotal info.
HackWork, lighterup, MTW and 1 others like this.
__________________
Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to splatz For This Useful Post:
HackWork (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 10:56 AM   #63
Watt Pusher
 
B-Nabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Port Coquitlam, Canada
Posts: 2,135
Rewards Points: 466
Default

I was under the impression one of the big reasons for tight vapour barrier was the mitigation of mold growth due to condensation caused by cool air meeting warm surfaces. The idea being (I thought) that the house should be as close to air tight as possible so that condensation doesn't happen on organic materials (paper, wood) and therefore mold doesn't grow, then air intake is handled in a controlled manner through something like an HRV or at least a duct heater, so the incoming air is conditioned to the interior temperature.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
spinninwheels likes this.
__________________
Is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?
B-Nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #64
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 58,941
Rewards Points: 286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
If a Canadian is cold, he puts on a sweater .
See that is a prime example of conservative logic....I knew you weren't a troll.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #65
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 58,941
Rewards Points: 286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by just the cowboy View Post
When I was an apprentice a long time ago I was told
" If you can't proudly do a job and put your name on it don't do it"
I still go by this.


Cowboy
I learned that same way and tried to instill that same philosophy in my kids.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:56 AM   #66
Senior Member
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 32,630
Rewards Points: 403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
This was directed at Hackworth but...

Just so we're on the same page - for at least 30 years in the US, we've been pretty gung ho on insulation in residential construction, including framing houses with 2x6s, etc. Also dryvit with exterior foam board on top of the 2x6 insulation has been pretty popular at least 20 years.

Around here - people very often upgrade, live in older starter homes when they're young, then build their dream custom home much larger and see much smaller heat bills in the bigger more modern house.

We just haven't been as gung ho with the vapor barrier, although we're pretty gung ho with the moisture barrier and caulking the daylights out of the exterior envelope. I haven't worked on a custom home that wasn't framed with 2x6's in quite a while.

As far as air quality - honestly I think the drafty old places have better air quality than the tight knit modern boxes. We have no smog here, letting in outdoor air is considered pleasant

The thing I am skeptical about is the difference between a decent vapor barrier and a maxed out vapour barrier, and even more so, the importance of tiny defects in the vapor barrier. When a building is sealed up enough that you have to blow in makeup air, what's the difference if you blow in 10000 cubic feet per day with a great vapor barrier, or you blow in 9000 cubic feet per day with 1000 coming in past the vapor barrier? Houses are not sealed up like submarines.

Unless you've lived in a well insulated house with a perfect Canadian style vapour barrier, and an identical well insulated house with a so-so US style vapor barrier, you haven't lived an apples to apples comparison, so it's unlikely anyone will change their mind over anecdotal info.
This is an absolutely excellent post. The information is both reasonable and factual. Itís well written and easy to understand.

But the two Canadian trolls will just tell you how studies say what they do is so much better and blah blah blah blah blah.
MechanicalDVR and splatz like this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
splatz (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 05:43 PM   #67
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 20,551
Rewards Points: 11,459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
This is an absolutely excellent post. The information is both reasonable and factual. It’s well written and easy to understand.

But the two Canadian trolls will just tell you how studies say what they do is so much better and blah blah blah blah blah.
Except we’re not trolling.

Would you be capable on intelligent conversation if we had the Stars and Stripes tattooed to our asses?

Last edited by 99cents; 01-24-2019 at 05:46 PM.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:00 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 32,630
Rewards Points: 403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
Except weíre not trolling.

Would you be capable on intelligent conversation if we had the Stars and Stripes tattooed to our asses?
I have intelligent conversations every day while you are coming close to 360max's ratio of 99.9 garbage posts to .1 normal post.

Nothing you brought up in this thread was sensible or realistic. Just some off-base guesses about new home construction in the US.

I think it's time you go complain about Trump some more.
lighterup likes this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #69
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 20,551
Rewards Points: 11,459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I have intelligent conversations every day while you are coming close to 360max's ratio of 99.9 garbage posts to .1 normal post.

Nothing you brought up in this thread was sensible or realistic. Just some off-base guesses about new home construction in the US.

I think it's time you go complain about Trump some more.
Who made you the site censor? You’re the last person around here I would listen to when it comes to what I can and cannot post.

Did I damage your tender little ego, Hack?
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:02 PM   #70
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 20,551
Rewards Points: 11,459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
This is an absolutely excellent post. The information is both reasonable and factual. Itís well written and easy to understand.

But the two Canadian trolls will just tell you how studies say what they do is so much better and blah blah blah blah blah.
We draw fresh air into the home in a controlled manner. No doubt drafty homes have excellent air exchange but it also creates the need for spot heating in peripheral rooms.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #71
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 20,551
Rewards Points: 11,459
Default

Let me get this straight. The site rules are now:

CT has now become the DJT Idol Worship Club.

Electrical posts must now be cleared through Hack.

Have I got that right?
B-Nabs likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:18 PM   #72
Senior Member
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 32,630
Rewards Points: 403
Default

Can you keep your trolling in the Controversial section please 360, I mean 99cents?
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
lighterup (01-25-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 07:51 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 218
Rewards Points: 424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsparky1 View Post
If it is a custom we do what we are paid to do . If it is a tract you get what the minimum that we can do to make the most money . I care less about space heaters and window units . When you buy mass produced housing you get a garbage house and you can pay a stupid amount in extras for us to do what you want . The last time I checked we are here to make money so I aint giving you anything more that what I have to .

Now with customs when you hire us we sit down with the customer and go over what you want and what you need . Although one power circuit per 500 square is more than adequate in most cases . Power and lighting are always separated in customs but not in tracts .

If it is an apartment . Well ha ha ha ha ha ha giggle we do what we can get away with . If 3/4 of the pad is on one breaker with 50 recepts on it and another circuit with 2 recepts on it oh well . Right now we are doing a 90 unit loft set up section 8 housing garbage . I told the boys if I see a tape measure you're fired . Blow and go don't care if the lights are lined up or if counter plugs look like the waves at north shore . It is gov funded dirt bag housing and I could careless what the fools living there think . PW resi is awesome . Ten units every 5 days . One more week of rough in left and we are at less that 40% of bid labor . Im getting a huge bonus at the end of this one .
Prevailing wage? no specifications? anyone as clerk of works inspecting?
farmantenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:54 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 218
Rewards Points: 424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchestersparky View Post
When I wired my house each bedroom got its own receptacle circuit. Each of the bathrooms got their own circuit. The lights are not on the receptacle circuit. WHY ??

I have 2 daughters and a wife. You say SO ????


3 females equals 3 hairdryers and 3 curling iron being used at the same time.
I also built the house with 3 full bathrooms

I never had a problem with the circuits getting overloaded and tripping the breakers !
separating lights and receptacles also minimizes actually seeing the voltage dropping when those hair dryers are turned on
farmantenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #75
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 58,941
Rewards Points: 286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmantenna View Post
separating lights and receptacles also minimizes actually seeing the voltage dropping when those hair dryers are turned on
I think it's the best way to wire up a job.

In addition I wire everything in 20 amp circuits rather than 15.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:50 PM   #76
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,129
Rewards Points: 7,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmantenna View Post
separating lights and receptacles also minimizes actually seeing the voltage dropping when those hair dryers are turned on
I think it's the best way to wire up a job.

In addition I wire everything in 20 amp circuits rather than 15.
I like that idea, but here we would have to use 20 amp rated (t-slot) receptacles on 20 amp circuits by code. Not a big deal but they do cost more
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:06 PM   #77
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 20,551
Rewards Points: 11,459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Can you keep your trolling in the Controversial section please 360, I mean 99cents?
Who made you the site cop or did you just appoint yourself?
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:07 PM   #78
Senior Member
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 32,630
Rewards Points: 403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
Who made you the site cop or did you just appoint yourself?
Youíre on thin ice buddy.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:19 PM   #79
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 20,551
Rewards Points: 11,459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Youíre on thin ice buddy.
Really? Are you the new hall monitor? Are you going to tell the teacher on me?
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:24 PM   #80
Senior Member
 
CoolWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SC
Posts: 1,867
Rewards Points: 2,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
Really? Are you the new hall monitor? Are you going to tell the teacher on me?
He did. That's why I'm here. Settle down or there will be consequences.
CoolWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lights, outlets go out, but circuit breaker doesn't trip???????????????????????? fvpirrone Residential Electrical Forum 22 08-15-2018 02:00 PM
20 amp dining room circuit MTW NEC Code Forum 46 12-19-2017 10:18 AM
Dining room arc fault circuit 321sparky Residential Electrical Forum 3 12-07-2017 01:33 PM
is the new code require the bath room sink receptacles to be dedicated circuit? mike883 Canadian Electrical Forum 6 09-04-2017 09:48 PM
Arc fault option Anathera General Electrical Discussion 175 07-08-2016 06:35 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com