Outdoor kitchen - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 06-21-2015, 05:15 PM   #1
felonious smile.

Rewards Points: 572
Default Outdoor kitchen

I never wired one before but im just gathering intel. I roughed it yesterday. I ran a 3/4 pvc to house and made a string of smurftube and mud boxes to get embeded at the countertop hieght. i also left a couple extra mud boxes with smurf stubs for backside convenience outlets. My question is can smurftube be used under the countertop exposed to connect all the points together and feed the under cabinet appliances?

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2015, 05:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,504

I don't see an issue with it but your authority having jurisdiction may say that smurf tube is not protection enough.... BS, IMO....3000.4 just says protect from damage

I usually use carflex and never had an issue and if it is behind draws then I just strap the cable to the cabinet without protection-- You will have to use UF unless you are using the smurf as a complete raceway

Last edited by Dennis Alwon; 06-21-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Alwon For This Useful Post:
Shockdoc (06-21-2015)
Old 06-21-2015, 06:20 PM   #3
Keeper Of The Magic

Rewards Points: 540

Doc - did one a couple of years ago. Ran (3) # 12 circuits in conduit from the house to the backside of the kitchen. One might of been 12/3....

One circuit ran the GFCI countertop outlets, the other powered the Fridge and the 3rd hit the Dishwasher. One of the circuits (either Fridge or DW) I used to power the light and the rotisserie for the BBQ. Maybe 1 amp tops for the BBQ.

Underneath the BBQ I had a 12x12X4 WP box which I did all the splicing to.

3 runs of #12 UF to the Applicances/GFCI's (tacked with 1 hole strap clips for support)

Behind DW and Fridge (standard outlets) w/Bubble Covers. Had some clearance issues but due to design was to offset the Outlets to either side of the Fridge and DW. Might of been GFCI CB at the panel - again don't remember.

A gas line was run as well. It was spaced as not to interfere with the electric. I also ran electric for other Yard Outlets as well as the hot tub.

Check out the pics and feel free to ask any questions.....
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor kitchen-162r.jpg  

Outdoor kitchen-173r.jpg  

Outdoor kitchen-177.jpg  

Outdoor kitchen-181.jpg  

duque00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duque00 For This Useful Post:
chicken steve (06-21-2015), Shockdoc (06-21-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #4
Keeper Of The Magic

More Pics from a 2nd Outdoor Kitchen for the same Contractor
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor kitchen-img_2231rr.jpg  

Outdoor kitchen-img_2237.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to duque00 For This Useful Post:
Shockdoc (06-21-2015)
Old 06-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #5
felonious smile.

The plumber ran his gas line in my trench yesterdqy

Old 06-21-2015, 06:47 PM   #6
Keeper Of The Magic

I believe that was ok till it 90 out of the ground and then 90 into the back of the kitchen. I want to say 18-24 inches apart.

The landscaper hid both lines behind the kitchen with tall grass....
Old 06-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
felonious smile.

Inside that enclosure counts as a damp location, not to sound ultra cheap but im thinking 1900 boxes can be used for junctions and receptacles.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by duque00
Doc - did one a couple of years ago. Ran (3) # 12 circuits in conduit from the house to the backside of the kitchen. One might of been 12/3.... One circuit ran the GFCI countertop outlets, the other powered the Fridge and the 3rd hit the Dishwasher. One of the circuits (either Fridge or DW) I used to power the light and the rotisserie for the BBQ. Maybe 1 amp tops for the BBQ. Underneath the BBQ I had a 12x12X4 WP box which I did all the splicing to. 3 runs of #12 UF to the Applicances/GFCI's (tacked with 1 hole strap clips for support) Behind DW and Fridge (standard outlets) w/Bubble Covers. Had some clearance issues but due to design was to offset the Outlets to either side of the Fridge and DW. Might of been GFCI CB at the panel - again don't remember. A gas line was run as well. It was spaced as not to interfere with the electric. I also ran electric for other Yard Outlets as well as the hot tub. Check out the pics and feel free to ask any questions.....
are low voltage lights allowed to be that close to hut tub? That code might just apply to pools...I don't remember...
Elephante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #9
Keeper Of The Magic

Doc - you are correct (Damp Location). It was a high end designer firm that hired us. It was our 1st job with them. Wanted to impress, plus we didn't want any callbacks down the road.....

We got a couple of other jobs from them based on that job. I am no longer with that contractor. Work slowed down.

Ele - separate contractor. We didn't touch any of the LV lights...and that might of been solar.....
Old 06-21-2015, 11:45 PM   #10
MTW

Rewards Points: 9,540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdoc View Post
Inside that enclosure counts as a damp location, not to sound ultra cheap but im thinking 1900 boxes can be used for junctions and receptacles.
I just worked on an outdoor kitchen remodel a few weeks ago (new granite top and grill). Everything under the counter top was just regular steel boxes. It had been that way for years and did not show any sign of rust.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MTW For This Useful Post:
Shockdoc (06-28-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 08:12 AM   #11
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

Beautiful work , but i just can't see it surviving our winters w/o constant attention

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chicken steve For This Useful Post:
duque00 (06-22-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 10:05 AM   #12
Keeper Of The Magic

Thanks CS - I agree. I think they throw in a maintenance package as well. I don't know if this HO bought it though.

MTW - most likely they will not rust depending on the masons. This contractor was top notch and they don't do any jobs less than $50k....