Overhead House Service Clearance For Pergola - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 06-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Default Overhead House Service Clearance For Pergola

Ive seen this topic discussed a couple times but not found a for sure answer. Does a Pergola require any clearances to overhead services? I think it comes down to if you consider the top a pergola a "roof". Personally I don't think should be considered a roof and therefore would not require any clearances. What do you think?
SpicyElectricity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 09:11 AM   #2
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,673

What's to say a child wouldn't find a way to climb onto the roof? Its exactly the kind of thing I would have done as a kid.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,276

If I was an inspector I believe I would make you go 3 foot.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #4
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,653

No one here I can give you an answer. This is completely up to your power company's wiring inspector. It may also be up to your municipality's electrical inspector if they get involved with that.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:20 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4

The way I see it is that there is no way to get up there without a ladder so it shouldn't be a problem with kids and its really no different then have a tree within 3ft of a service.
SpicyElectricity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25,884

Treat pergolas as if a shed// house// barn.

BTW, who builds TALL pergolas ?

That's getting pretty strange, right there.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #7
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,008

Welcome aboard! Enjoy your ride here.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:18 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 296

The clearances on roofs are because people go up on them. It has nothing to do with what a kid may do. A pergola isn't a roof. AHJ may not agree with me.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clearance, pergola, roof, service