Oxidation on breakers - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree33Likes

Old 05-24-2016, 10:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 386
Default Oxidation on breakers

What is your rule of thumb when it comes to rust on breakers at the connection point this particular panel is a ch br 150amp. the buss bar is fine but all the breakers are rusted up. Do you guys replace them as you find them or leave as they are until they cause a problem?
Anathera is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #2
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 17,615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathera View Post
What is your rule of thumb when it comes to rust on breakers at the connection point this particular panel is a ch br 150amp. the buss bar is fine but all the breakers are rusted up. Do you guys replace them as you find them or leave as they are until they cause a problem?
Are they rusted from water intrusion into the panel to any degree? If so toss them pronto. Seen that turn into smoking hot breakers when very little load is imposed upon them for some reason or another and they become a true fire hazard.
Drudge Report
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:27 PM   #3
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 2,548

Is the panel located in a high salt air location ? If so I'd swap them out.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 424

Can you get us a picture of this rust?

Rust is ferrous oxide and there would have to be iron present to have rust. Is it on tin plated copper contacts or on a screw or rivet or what?
AllWIRES likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
Can you get us a picture of this rust?

Rust is ferrous oxide and there would have to be iron present to have rust. Is it on tin plated copper contacts or on a screw or rivet or what?
Getting 'educated' from several other threads, many people call any corrosion "rust". If it is actual rust it could be groundwater getting in from outside and leaving iron residue behind. A picture would be a great hing on many posts.
AllWIRES likes this.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:53 PM   #6

It's from the tenant not hooking up their dryer vent causing high humidity. So yes water damage. There is some mild oxidation on non important parts of the can but it's odd because the discharge from the breaker screws is actual orange oxidation which would lead me to believe that there is some iron in the breaker itself it's not the typical white buildup you see.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #7
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
It's from the tenant not hooking up their dryer vent causing high humidity. So yes water damage. There is some mild oxidation on non important parts of the can but it's odd because the discharge from the breaker screws is actual orange oxidation which would lead me to believe that there is some iron in the breaker itself it's not the typical white buildup you see.
It's possible that it's actually 'raining' inside the panel when the humidity builds up enough.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Getting 'educated' from several other threads, many people call any corrosion "rust". If it is actual rust it could be groundwater getting in from outside and leaving iron residue behind. A picture would be a great hing on many posts.
Good point. We have a spot on our floor from when a piece of roof flashing leaked and the water trickled in. The floor is now "rusted" in that spot even though it's a sky blue 3 layer ESD polymer over concrete.
MechanicalDVR and 19delta like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
Good point. We have a spot on our floor from when a piece of roof flashing leaked and the water trickled in. The floor is now "rusted" in that spot even though it's a sky blue 3 layer ESD polymer over concrete.
Much like CSI, it isn't just the water but whatever substances the water carries in from the path along the way. Most water from roof leaks always seem to leave a golden brown stain behind.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:43 PM   #10
Zog

Rewards Points: 1,096

This breaker came in today, bunch of rust on it, will look brand new (And actually be better than new) when we are finished with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Oxidation on breakers-20160524_164059_resized.jpg  
MechanicalDVR and Majewski like this.
Majewski (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 06:25 PM   #11
Freelance Member

Rewards Points: 1,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog
This breaker came in today, bunch of rust on it, will look brand new (And actually be better than new) when we are finished with it.
Cool man.

I've racked a few like that . We would have a special team that traveled around and refurbished our old ones.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:37 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 923

I did a job in a knitting factory once. The previous tenant had an operation that left all the breakers rusty and oxidized. Recommended that we replace all of them, over 100 3 pole breakers, but they decided to take their chances. Within 1 month over over 1/3rd of them failed. They tried to save bucks but failed. Replace is the best outcome.
MechanicalDVR likes this.

Grandpa was old, and he was slow. But he got there.
FaultCurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:45 PM   #13
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaultCurrent View Post
I did a job in a knitting factory once. The previous tenant had an operation that left all the breakers rusty and oxidized. Recommended that we replace all of them, over 100 3 pole breakers, but they decided to take their chances. Within 1 month over over 1/3rd of them failed. They tried to save bucks but failed. Replace is the best outcome.
Worst corrosion I recall right off was a ladies hair place that did all kinds of coloring and relaxing. The stuff they used in there attacked the aluminum buss in the sub panels and just about melted the insides of the RTUs.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #14
Big nosed attic troll

Rewards Points: 2,774

If you swap any of them out for new, do you need to make any afci/gfci?
Majewski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Majewski For This Useful Post:
Insomnia (06-03-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 11:45 PM   #15

I think that I would have to but I was told to do a one for one swap, of course we've had the discussion on here about afcis when swapping a receptacle 1 for 1 so I am sure that we are supposed to do the same with breakers but I couldn't find anything that mentioned it explicitly just receptacles or wiring
Old 05-24-2016, 11:47 PM   #16
Big nosed attic troll

I pretty much have to put in an afci or dual if I sneeze so I am always expecting it.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:04 AM   #17

Personally I would, higher ups are pushing back so far I have only won when there is a permit and even then only on the circuits I heavily modify
Old 05-25-2016, 12:07 AM   #18
Big nosed attic troll

I just work here! Lol
MechanicalDVR and MikeFL like this.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majewski View Post
I just work here! Lol
Sadly yeah they don't give me too much access to the purse strings with this or led retros. Anything over 200 or so I have to ask about
Old 05-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #20
Big nosed attic troll

Quote:
Sadly yeah they don't give me too much access to the purse strings with this or led retros. Anything over 200 or so I have to ask about
Until it's a safety concern, we gotta earn!