Oxide inhibitor on buss bar. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Navyguy
  • 3 Post By CoolWill

Old 11-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,214
Default Oxide inhibitor on buss bar.

How do you guys feel about using an oxide inhibitor when installing circuit breakers? Almost all buss bars are Aluminum and sometime the breakers are hard to install or remove because of the cheap quality of the newer equipment, both breakers and panels. I know some breakers come with some type of grease but some do not.
kb1jb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #2
Cow

Rewards Points: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1jb1 View Post
How do you guys feel about using an oxide inhibitor when installing circuit breakers? Almost all buss bars are Aluminum and sometime the breakers are hard to install or remove because of the cheap quality of the newer equipment, both breakers and panels. I know some breakers come with some type of grease but some do not.

I've done it before when it felt like the connection was galling up, that feeling you get when it seems to take excessive force to seat or remove a breaker, like the metals are dragging against each other a bit too much.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,214

I just noticed this is touch on at another thread.
kb1jb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #4
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 66

This is something that seems like a good idea but I hesitate to do it unless the instructions allow for it. It will probably help with oxidization, but does the reduced friction of the grease cause other problems?
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:57 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 86

Most breakers come with a little dab of electrical grease (name escapes me right now); we have a tub of it for MCC rebuilds.

I think if you are removing / reworking breakers in a panel, it would not hurt; but the key is not to use too much. You only need a very thin film. I also consider it if I use a new breaker that has been bouncing around the truck for the bit or sitting on the shelf at the shop.

Edit:here is the stuff that we use https://www.sanchem.com/electrical-c...lubricant.html

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Navyguy; 11-20-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #6
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 286

I've seen where guys put no-alox brand on breaker stabs and then it hardened up like candy over a period of time.

There is good info on here about the procedure. Use the search function and you might be able to find it. I say might. They had the exact gel catalog number the manufacturer's use on the stabs at the factory.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:34 PM   #7
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 66

Sanchem No-Ox-ID

https://www.sanchem.com/electrical-c...lubricant.html
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #8
Band Member

Rewards Points: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post
Edit:here is the stuff that we use https://www.sanchem.com/electrical-c...lubricant.html

John
They don't seem to sell direct on site, you have to request a quote.

Do you know if they sell small quantities ?
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:45 PM   #9

I know you can get in small tubes, but if you are using it right a small tub / tin will last a very long time.

Unfortunately I bought it a long time ago; I don't remember from where or who. Could have even been e-bay or even at an auction as part of a mixed box of supplies or something... small tub has lasted probably 10 years anyway.

If you want to come to Niagara for a beer, I will give you a little film case full if you want!

Cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:49 PM   #10
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 286

Oxy ban in a good close second to that stuff. I get it at Graybar. Looks the same, silicon based. Works terrific on car battery terminals as well.

Just hate seeing No-Alox being used on breaker stabs for the reason I mentioned earlier. I can't say for sure if it causes more problems than it helps, but I bet it does. Otherwise it is ok for wire to lug connections. And messy.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #11
Sparks fly from my finger

Location: Where you live. Feel free to be as specific as you like. THANKS!
Rewards Points: 4,677

I use the Ilsac or whatever it is called no ox on breakers instead of the ideal stuff because it doesn’t separate. I also pull the screws out of lugs and put a dab on them also. Seen to many breakers fail on the stabs in outdoor panels.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:13 PM   #12

The Nolox and the No-Ox-ID are two different items. I don't think I would put Nolox on a buss, but would put No-Ox-ID without even thinking about it.

Cheers
John
micromind likes this.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:06 PM   #13
Chief Flunky

Rewards Points: 388

On bus bar use electrical joint compound. Same as no-Alox but no-Alox comes in two versions. One has zinc oxide particles that are an insulator and the other doesn’t.
paulengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:23 PM   #14
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 554

Buss makes fuses. Bus is the term for a part designed to carry current.
brian john, mayanees and JRaef like this.
CoolWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #15
MTW
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 677

It seems the dab the manufacturers put on the breaker is enough, but I see no need to add more or put it on breakers that don't have it already. If there's some empirical evidence that panels are failing without it, I'll change my mind.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:18 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
Buss makes fuses. Bus is the term for a part designed to carry current.
bus bar noun

Definition of bus bar
: a conductor or an assembly of conductors for collecting electric currents and distributing them to outgoing feeders.

---------------------------------

buss (bŭs)
tr. & intr.v. bussed, buss·ing, buss·es
To kiss.
n.
A kiss.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:34 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 1,187

Get a better panel.
Galt is offline   Reply With Quote