Panasonic Whisper Quiet exhaust fans - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By dmxtothemax
  • 3 Post By macmikeman
  • 1 Post By TGGT
  • 1 Post By emtnut
  • 2 Post By TGGT

Old 09-20-2016, 10:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,250
Default Panasonic Whisper Quiet exhaust fans

Anyone wire one of these? It is supposed to run at a low CFM all the time then with a second switch it kicks onto high. The instructions state that the red wires are NOT low voltage, but they are only 24 gauge. If you look at the diagram one comes from the neutral. Can this be wired with a 3 conductor cable by tying into the neutral at the switch box and sending it up on the extra conductor in the 3 wire cable, tying it to the red control wire?

We roughed it in with a 2 wire and a 3 wire Romex. The HVAC installer took our 2 wire out and threw it away saying we only need the 3 wire. Then he got fired before we came to trim.

Makes no sense to me to install a ventilation fan that is supposed to run 24/7 for the new building codes then give the option of switching it off.
Attached Thumbnails
Panasonic Whisper Quiet exhaust fans-panasonic.png  

Joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2016, 10:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 36

The description, if you read Japanglish properly, is telling you that the red wires are essentially a very low voltage logic level signal for the electronics (Multi-speed Module) rather than either direct power control or even coil current of a relay (i.e. 24VAC).
You can still turn the fan off or disconnect it for maintenance with the on/off switch, but normally that switch would be left on.
Some fans control whether to even run the low speed by using an internal humidity sensor.
inetdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by inetdog View Post
The description, if you read Japanglish properly, is telling you that the red wires are essentially a very low voltage logic level signal for the electronics (Multi-speed Module) rather than either direct power control or even coil current of a relay (i.e. 24VAC).
You can still turn the fan off or disconnect it for maintenance with the on/off switch, but normally that switch would be left on.
Some fans control whether to even run the low speed by using an internal humidity sensor.
Yes this model can be fitted with "plug n play" modules, one of which is a humidity sensor.

So I suspect that while it may work with a 3 conductor cable it will be in violation for the different voltages in the same cable/box. However interconnected smoke alarms are wired this way so maybe not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2016, 11:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,370

Without the control switch the fan will still work,
it will be only one speed thou.
My guess is it will run on low speed
the control probably changes it to high speed.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
Without the control switch the fan will still work,
it will be only one speed thou.
My guess is it will run on low speed
the control probably changes it to high speed.

Yes that's how it works. Low is only 30 CFM though
Old 09-20-2016, 11:33 PM   #6
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefixit2 View Post
Yes this model can be fitted with "plug n play" modules, one of which is a humidity sensor.

So I suspect that while it may work with a 3 conductor cable it will be in violation for the different voltages in the same cable/box. However interconnected smoke alarms are wired this way so maybe not.
If that is how it was designed, manufacturers specs are what the AHJ will look at normally.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:49 AM   #7
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,277

I always tell customers who insist on picking up their own fart fans to get the ones that are just fart fans and no other bells and whistles. So one guy, I just know he is going to pick up ''bells and whistles'' and sure enough not only am I fishing two 14-3 cables for the voltage stuff, but a cat-5 cable to a volume control so you can drown out ''sounds'' by bluetooth linking to your I-tunes library on your phone ...............................
Old 09-21-2016, 04:06 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,370

more work = more money ?
Majewski likes this.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:25 AM   #9
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,277

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
more work = more money ?

Yea but sometimes when you are busy as hell with lots of other sqawking customers you don't really want to ''do extra work''. Still yet- Charge Large.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:14 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,876

I'm buying a bells and whistles. Panasonic with fan, heater, light, and night light.
Majewski likes this.
TGGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:24 AM   #11
Band Member

Rewards Points: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGGT View Post
I'm buying a bells and whistles. Panasonic with fan, heater, light, and night light.
No surround sound ????

Built in camera ??
Majewski likes this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:44 AM   #12
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefixit2 View Post
Anyone wire one of these? It is supposed to run at a low CFM all the time then with a second switch it kicks onto high. The instructions state that the red wires are NOT low voltage, but they are only 24 gauge. If you look at the diagram one comes from the neutral. Can this be wired with a 3 conductor cable by tying into the neutral at the switch box and sending it up on the extra conductor in the 3 wire cable, tying it to the red control wire?

We roughed it in with a 2 wire and a 3 wire Romex. The HVAC installer took our 2 wire out and threw it away saying we only need the 3 wire. Then he got fired before we came to trim.

Makes no sense to me to install a ventilation fan that is supposed to run 24/7 for the new building codes then give the option of switching it off.
I have that fan in my house.
They both have the occupancy sensor trim. I would suggest that.
Also, a nice feature is the night light.
Another is humidity control.
All of that is done in the the grill you pick out.
This is what I did.

In the master bath, I connected the fan to a switchleg and that's it.
I leave the switch on 24/7, it has a very low speed and I picked out the occupancy sensor grill. They have a cfm and run time selector switch.

The second bath is hard wired. Runs low 24/7 and turns on at a preset cfm when someone enters. The runtime is selected to allow you to preset how long the fan runs after someone leaves the room.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,876

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
No surround sound ????

Built in camera ??
I considered it but you have to draw a line somewhere.
emtnut and Majewski like this.
TGGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:14 PM   #14
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 956

I put one of the high end ones up without any modules and they didn't like it saying it was too quiet and didn't work. I ended up putting in an ac motor from a similar model and they were happy. I wonder if I didn't connect something in the dc one and it spun too slowly or was supposed to ramp up.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:23 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 864

I have one of the newer ones that takes the modules (none installed) and a led light and (3) settings for different cfms. They do ramp up to speed and have a slight delay in starting. The first one I did it threw me for a loop as I thought it was a bad unit until it started after I turned it on and off a couple of times.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:23 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 864

I do like mine though
Old 09-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #17
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 956

This one had delay in starting, but didn't seem to ramp up, so maybe that was the problem. I like them in general. I like the new bracket for old work.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #18
Big nosed attic troll

Rewards Points: 2,774

I like the bluetooth ones...
Old 09-21-2016, 10:22 PM   #19
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 2,880

Maybe this should be a new thread cuz it's kinda of tangent but:
Recently put in a HO supplied Broan fan with built in Humidistat.
Manual said there's a special/optional switch. Don't remember
what the switch was for. Regardless, the HO's didn't buy/supply
the optional switch so I wired as the manual indicated it be wired
when used with a regular switch. When I did the finishing the
fan didn't turn on with the switch. Found by accident that turning
it on-off-on made it come on every time. Fortunately the HO still
had the manual and I was able to find in the manual that that's it's
designed operation. When in the on position, it operates based on
the humidistat. To override this and have the fan run for 20 mins,
on-off-on is required.
This seems easy for the people that live there. Kind of a pain to
explain to everybody who comes to visit.
Bottom line is that these special option fans are a pain. Charged the
HO's for some, but not all, of my extra time.
P&L
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
PlugsAndLights is offline   Reply With Quote