Parking Lot Street Lights - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By AK_sparky
  • 1 Post By Southeast Power
  • 1 Post By MikeFL
  • 2 Post By Cow
  • 1 Post By frenchelectrican
  • 1 Post By MikeFL

Old 12-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
Default Parking Lot Street Lights

Is it possible to override parking lot street lights at certain poles? We are trying to install surveillance cameras at specific poles within our business campus. We want to tap into the power at these poles. However, the power is controlled by a panel that turns the lights on/off at certain times. Will we need to pull new wire to these poles?
millerm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,979

Ask your electrician.
Max C. likes this.
AK_sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AK_sparky For This Useful Post:
Max C. (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 138

We tend to always pull an extra wire for future use, be it outlets or whatever. Whats in there now?

Texting and Driving
trentonmakes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trentonmakes For This Useful Post:
millerm77 (12-08-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,134

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm77 View Post
Is it possible to override parking lot street lights at certain poles? We are trying to install surveillance cameras at specific poles within our business campus. We want to tap into the power at these poles. However, the power is controlled by a panel that turns the lights on/off at certain times. Will we need to pull new wire to these poles?
One word.
Photo Cells.

FWIW, a nice camera will draw under 10 watts at 34 volts.
Its very possible to install a battery with a charger that will recharge when the light poles come on.
This is a short term fix until you upgrade your lighting to the programmable type.
millerm77 likes this.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Southeast Power For This Useful Post:
millerm77 (12-08-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 06:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Power View Post
One word.
Photo Cells.

Its very possible to install a battery with a charger that will recharge when the light poles come on.
This is a short term fix until you upgrade your lighting to the programmable type.

Thanks...I was thinking about that too! My electrician is also suggesting to pull wire for new circuits at each of the poles. However, he said that the conduit could be bad underground and may hit a snag. I was also thinking of solar power panels.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,856

Another option is to bypass the control and make them hot 24/7 and put light controls on each pole to switch the lights. This may be easiest.
telsa likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeFL For This Useful Post:
millerm77 (12-08-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #7
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,580

I would have your electrician tug on the ground wire to the poles and see if it moves. If it moves easy enough and there is room in the conduit, I'd pull the ground out and pull it back in with new circuit conductors. Pretty standard procedure that you're electrician should be well versed in, assuming this is practical, every situation is different. If the poles are 800' apart, I wouldn't recommend this....

If it doesn't move like the conduit may be broke or if someone used some wire lube that turned in glue when the wire was initially pulled, I'd probably meg the wire just to verify it's integrity and then make a decision from here.

There are a few ways to go about this, your electrician should be explaining these options to you in person just like most of us would with any customer.
telsa and millerm77 like this.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cow For This Useful Post:
millerm77 (12-08-2017), WIsparky71 (12-08-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 09:49 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,366

QUOTE - [ Will we need to pull new wire to these poles? ]

ANSWER - Yes ! If you have many light poles all controlled by one
timer, then there will be no power at the pole when timer is off !

If you are an electrician you should know this ?

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:38 PM   #9
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm77 View Post
As few guys mention .,, have to talk to your electrician for doing this task.,

As a guy mention just photocell all the parking lot lighting system and use the line side for the cameras.,

However let me warn ya not everything you will get on 120 volts at all some parking lot luminiares are wired for 277 volts as well so you may need a back up plan if you run into 240 volts and up.
telsa likes this.
millerm77 (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow View Post
I would have your electrician tug on the ground wire to the poles and see if it moves. If it moves easy enough and there is room in the conduit, I'd pull the ground out and pull it back in with new circuit conductors. Pretty standard procedure that you're electrician should be well versed in, assuming this is practical, every situation is different. If the poles are 800' apart, I wouldn't recommend this....

If it doesn't move like the conduit may be broke or if someone used some wire lube that turned in glue when the wire was initially pulled, I'd probably meg the wire just to verify it's integrity and then make a decision from here.

There are a few ways to go about this, your electrician should be explaining these options to you in person just like most of us would with any customer.
This is great advice! Thanks!
Old 12-08-2017, 11:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Power View Post
One word.
Photo Cells.

This is a great idea...I was thinking of the battery option as well. I'm going to run that by him as see if this is something he can implement.
The Following User Says Thank You to millerm77 For This Useful Post:
WIsparky71 (12-08-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 10:38 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 563

I have had to do this several times in the last 20 years.

The idea of cut&draw (cut, pull on conductor out with additional conductors tied on) is not likely gonna work......I wouldn't even try it.

You need to over-ride the building's photocell control contactor into the maintained ON position, and put photocells at ALL the poles to control them locally. This way, you have a continuous AC source at each pole's piling base, but the pole heads themselves are controlled upstream on a locally mounted photocell.

This does work....I've done it several times. If the building has a BMS, then unfortunately, they will NOT have the option of overriding their pole lights ON during daylight times. Each pole will only come on/off according it's own photocell....and those times are NOT exact (give/take 15 min).
power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #13
German Spy

Rewards Points: 3,949

Probably going to need in line fuses, if your tapping off a feeder.

I see a lot of solar powered cameras up these days. They hang a battery and control box on the pole, apparently completely wireless.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:36 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,788

My money says you will not get new wires in those conduits unless this is a recent installation. Its possible you might be able to. But I doubt it.
What size are the conductors? That answer might get you better responses to your question.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,856

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
I have had to do this several times in the last 20 years.

The idea of cut&draw (cut, pull on conductor out with additional conductors tied on) is not likely gonna work......I wouldn't even try it.

You need to over-ride the building's photocell control contactor into the maintained ON position, and put photocells at ALL the poles to control them locally. This way, you have a continuous AC source at each pole's piling base, but the pole heads themselves are controlled upstream on a locally mounted photocell.

This does work....I've done it several times. If the building has a BMS, then unfortunately, they will NOT have the option of overriding their pole lights ON during daylight times. Each pole will only come on/off according it's own photocell....and those times are NOT exact (give/take 15 min).
We have twist-lock timers which can switch at any local time or as a function of sunset/ sunrise or any offset therefrom. They stay synchronized to the GPS system clock and they all switch together.
power likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:36 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 274

I do this all the time but would need a lot more information. It is totally possible to do what you want. There should be a contactor on the system depending on how many poles there are. What is supply voltage? Is it an EM system tied to computer? Can some poles be isolated? There are many options available. Most camera wired systems require 120 V supply but as was mentioned Solar and battery are an option as are photocells. There are so many variables to your situation that the best thing is to get a person with the proper knowledge. It is possible to pull in additional conductors but....More questions.
GeneC is offline   Reply With Quote