Phantom Centron Meter - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By John Valdes
  • 3 Post By samgregger

Old 02-04-2018, 08:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 24
Default Phantom Centron Meter

A customer complained about a high electricity bill. (more than twice his neighbors in an apt building). He expressed concern that his Meter might be affected by his neighbors electrical use.

Upon examination I determined that his meter does indeed keep on registering electrical use after I shut off his main breaker. And that it only stops when I shut off his Neighbors main as well.

These are Centron Digital Breakers. I can't see how they are connected since it's locked but I would presume they are connected in parallel. (there's only 3 wires going up to the locked electric co. box (2 phases and a neutral) and 3 coming out to feed each main.

Any thoughts/ experience about why this would happen? could the meters have been wired in series somehow instead of in parallel? Or is it possible it's just the electro magnetic field from the nearby neighbor meter affecting my customer's meter?

Is this something you can get the utility co. to take care of? is it their responsibility?

Thanks to all
Tomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2018, 08:41 AM   #2

Old 02-04-2018, 09:01 AM   #3
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 494

My guess is theft, running a grow house.
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2018, 09:17 AM   #4
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,030

Assuming the neighbor doesn't get a zero kWh bill, the weird part is that turning off the neighbor's main stops your customer's meter.

If there was a tap on your customer's service conductors going straight to a grow room or house lights or something, the neighbor's main wouldn't affect it.

The only think I could think of would be a tap between the meter and your customer's main, in parallel with the neighbor's service conductors. That way half the current the neighbor uses would be coming through their meter, half would be coming through your customer's meter. If their actual utilization was the same, your customer would see a 150% bill, the neighbor would see a 50% bill, so it would be triple.
brian john and drsparky like this.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #5

Default Theft seems unlikely

I can see the wires going into the closed con-ed box. 3 wires. And I see them coming out 6- 2 hot wires to each main breaker and 2 neutrals going straight up to the panels (in the apartments).

And Like Splatz says Shutting both breakers makes the meter stop running

Splatz suggestion sounds sensible. I'm not sure I totally get it though. You basically think one or both phases are hooked up in series rather than parallel?
Old 02-04-2018, 11:38 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,790

Have you contacted the POCO?
Let them know what you told us here.

Its easy for someone who knows just enough to get free power. The last time I saw this was when someone thought they tapped the apts general lighting and other loads.
Turns out they tapped another apt dweller and were caught as the only apt with the electricity turned off still had lights and a neighbor had double his normal bill.

As I remember, the offending apt dweller made restitution to the apt dweller that had the big increase and promised to undo the illegal connections made in the mechanical room.

Oh...The POCO was not informed of the arrangement.
brian john likes this.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #7
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,666

2 things come to mind here;

1) I think this is what Splatz is getting at.......phase A of meter #1 (your customers) is supplying meter #1s load. There is a tap on the line side of breaker #1 phase B that feeds the line side of breaker #2 phase B. Phase B of meter #1 is still fed normally. Phase A of meter #1 is still fed normally.

2) There is a tap on the line side of breaker #1 that feeds loads in apt #2. These loads are controlled by a circuit fed from meter #2. This way, when breaker #2 is turned off but breaker #1 is still on, the control circuit loses power so the loads disappear.

When you look at the wiring between both meters and both breakers, the problem will be obvious.
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:04 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,183

When stealing power always run it it through a contractor that is powered through a legitimate circuit so it shuts off when the breakers shut off - this is in stealing power 101 people
brian john, drsparky and ppsh like this.
samgregger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to samgregger For This Useful Post:
brian john (02-04-2018)