Philadelphia Licensing - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 12-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Philadelphia Licensing

Hello,
I figure that I would ask here for a person in the know about a Philadelphia License. I just applied for my Jersey License as my father has had a company for almost 40 years.

http://business.phila.gov/Documents/...electrical.pdf

Does the form for Philly make me need to register my business in the city before I can even take an exam? Is a license given to an individual and stays with an individual like NJ does or is it given to an entity like a C Corp or an LLC that shows insurance?

Thank you in advance.
Tommy
SoultionsbySullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoultionsbySullivan View Post
Hello,
I figure that I would ask here for a person in the know about a Philadelphia License. I just applied for my Jersey License as my father has had a company for almost 40 years.

Does the form for Philly make me need to register my business in the city before I can even take an exam? Is a license given to an individual and stays with an individual like NJ does or is it given to an entity like a C Corp or an LLC that shows insurance?

Thank you in advance.
Tommy
http://www.contractorexam.com/PACP_ME.htm

The license is issued to the individual but I believe that it will not be issued to you until you have proof of insurance. You can still take the test and pass but you won't get the license until you show the proof of insurance.

I'm not a license holder as it's only required if your a contractor. BigRed is a member here and a licensed Philadelphia contractor he is the guy you want to talk to.

Last edited by slickvic277; 12-04-2010 at 06:54 PM.
slickvic277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 500

Yep i'll say it i'm not licensed either just registered in various townships and hold 2 million insurance.

Not because i don't want to or can't i just can't verify my work experience that is required to take the test. The company i worked 5+ years for went out of business and it was in NJ.

I really want to be licensed so bad but i dont think they will let me without verifying my work history.

I'm not gonna start over and work 4 more years for someone just to get proof to get a license
pawirenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawirenut View Post
Yep i'll say it i'm not licensed either just registered in various townships and hold 2 million insurance.

Not because i don't want to or can't i just can't verify my work experience that is required to take the test. The company i worked 5+ years for went out of business and it was in NJ.

I really want to be licensed so bad but i dont think they will let me without verifying my work history.

I'm not gonna start over and work 4 more years for someone just to get proof to get a license

You don't have your old tax returns or any pay stubs from when you worked for the other company? Honestly, with a little creativity you could prove your work history if you really wanted to.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvic277 View Post
You don't have your old tax returns or any pay stubs from when you worked for the other company? Honestly, with a little creativity you could prove your work history if you really wanted to.
From 11+ years ago? It doesn't even show up on my credit report the company name anymore.

Yeah i can give them your phone number and flip you a bill?
Old 12-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
From 11+ years ago? It doesn't even show up on my credit report the company name anymore.

Yeah i can give them your phone number and flip you a bill?
I dunno, I've got my w-2's from the first company I ever worked for and that was 10 years ago. How about getting a license in Cheltenham township and then applying for the Philly test. I could be wrong BUT I believe that if you already hold a license in another township then you don't have to prove your work history.

Or you could get creative, you friendly with any Philly area contractors, get them to right a letter or something. The people who run this city are pretty dumb, I'm sure you could fool them. I know for a fact it has been done in the past.

Aren't you in business for yourself now? How long has that been for?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
I dunno, I've got my w-2's from the first company I ever worked for and that was 10 years ago. How about getting a license in Cheltenham township and then applying for the Philly test. I could be wrong BUT I believe that if you already hold a license in another township then you don't have to prove your work history.

Or you could get creative, you friendly with any Philly area contractors, get them to right a letter or something. The people who run this city are pretty dumb, I'm sure you could fool them. I know for a fact it has been done in the past.

Aren't you in business for yourself now? How long has that been for?
I'm sure Philly doesn't verify work history because it's all about money. I'm just going to apply for it what is the worst that could happen they just say no.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm sure Philly doesn't verify work history because it's all about money. I'm just going to apply for it what is the worst that could happen they just say no.
That's the spirit.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
That's the spirit.

I seem to lose a lot of work because people ask if i'm licensed. And when i go through the speal that their is no statewide license in PA they think i'm dancing around the question.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
I seem to lose a lot of work because people ask if i'm licensed. And when i go through the speal that their is no statewide license in PA they think i'm dancing around the question.

Yup, PA is in the dark ages. Maybe some day in our life time we will see a state wide license and then all this silly nonsense will be a thing of the past. At least Philly has the license requirement, other places just outside the city don't have any requirements of any kind.
The Following User Says Thank You to slickvic277 For This Useful Post:
BIGRED (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Yup, PA is in the dark ages. Maybe some day in our life time we will see a state wide license and then all this silly nonsense will be a thing of the past. At least Philly has the license requirement, other places just outside the city don't have any requirements of any kind.
Yeah Philly has a license and has the worst electric work i have seen compared to non license areas in bucks, montco
Old 12-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah Philly has a license and has the worst electric work i have seen compared to non license areas in bucks, montco

I don't know about that. Maybe in old residential settings. I've seen some atrocious work out in the counties, but then again there's awful work everywhere.

You know what, come to think of it, you might be right. But what do you expect to see when the contractors are allowed to hire there own inspectors?

Picture the conversation...."OK here's the red sticker, you need to fix somethings"......"What, f*ck that! your fired, I'm hiring another inspector"........."Wait a minute!!! Here's your green sticker, I was mistaken"

Last edited by slickvic277; 12-04-2010 at 08:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to slickvic277 For This Useful Post:
BIGRED (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoultionsbySullivan View Post
Hello,

Thank you in advance.
Tommy
Philly might honor the Jersey license. I am pretty sure you need to have a license first then you can apply for a Business Privilege License. Don't forget to register with the PA Attorney Generals office too.

Last edited by BIGRED; 12-04-2010 at 08:26 PM.
BIGRED is offline   Reply With Quote