Philadelphia Licensing - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South West New Jersey
Posts: 25
Rewards Points: 10
Default Philadelphia Licensing

Hello,
I figure that I would ask here for a person in the know about a Philadelphia License. I just applied for my Jersey License as my father has had a company for almost 40 years.

http://business.phila.gov/Documents/...electrical.pdf

Does the form for Philly make me need to register my business in the city before I can even take an exam? Is a license given to an individual and stays with an individual like NJ does or is it given to an entity like a C Corp or an LLC that shows insurance?

Thank you in advance.
Tommy
SoultionsbySullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Right off the Kings Highway
Posts: 4,456
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoultionsbySullivan View Post
Hello,
I figure that I would ask here for a person in the know about a Philadelphia License. I just applied for my Jersey License as my father has had a company for almost 40 years.

http://business.phila.gov/Documents/...electrical.pdf

Does the form for Philly make me need to register my business in the city before I can even take an exam? Is a license given to an individual and stays with an individual like NJ does or is it given to an entity like a C Corp or an LLC that shows insurance?

Thank you in advance.
Tommy
http://www.contractorexam.com/PACP_ME.htm


The license is issued to the individual but I believe that it will not be issued to you until you have proof of insurance. You can still take the test and pass but you won't get the license until you show the proof of insurance.

I'm not a license holder as it's only required if your a contractor. BigRed is a member here and a licensed Philadelphia contractor he is the guy you want to talk to.

Last edited by slickvic277; 12-04-2010 at 06:54 PM.
slickvic277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: montgomery county PA
Posts: 644
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Yep i'll say it i'm not licensed either just registered in various townships and hold 2 million insurance.

Not because i don't want to or can't i just can't verify my work experience that is required to take the test. The company i worked 5+ years for went out of business and it was in NJ.

I really want to be licensed so bad but i dont think they will let me without verifying my work history.

I'm not gonna start over and work 4 more years for someone just to get proof to get a license
pawirenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Right off the Kings Highway
Posts: 4,456
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawirenut View Post
Yep i'll say it i'm not licensed either just registered in various townships and hold 2 million insurance.

Not because i don't want to or can't i just can't verify my work experience that is required to take the test. The company i worked 5+ years for went out of business and it was in NJ.

I really want to be licensed so bad but i dont think they will let me without verifying my work history.

I'm not gonna start over and work 4 more years for someone just to get proof to get a license

You don't have your old tax returns or any pay stubs from when you worked for the other company? Honestly, with a little creativity you could prove your work history if you really wanted to.
slickvic277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: montgomery county PA
Posts: 644
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvic277 View Post
You don't have your old tax returns or any pay stubs from when you worked for the other company? Honestly, with a little creativity you could prove your work history if you really wanted to.
From 11+ years ago? It doesn't even show up on my credit report the company name anymore.

Yeah i can give them your phone number and flip you a bill?
pawirenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Right off the Kings Highway
Posts: 4,456
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawirenut View Post
From 11+ years ago? It doesn't even show up on my credit report the company name anymore.

Yeah i can give them your phone number and flip you a bill?
I dunno, I've got my w-2's from the first company I ever worked for and that was 10 years ago. How about getting a license in Cheltenham township and then applying for the Philly test. I could be wrong BUT I believe that if you already hold a license in another township then you don't have to prove your work history.

Or you could get creative, you friendly with any Philly area contractors, get them to right a letter or something. The people who run this city are pretty dumb, I'm sure you could fool them. I know for a fact it has been done in the past.

Aren't you in business for yourself now? How long has that been for?
slickvic277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: montgomery county PA
Posts: 644
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvic277 View Post
I dunno, I've got my w-2's from the first company I ever worked for and that was 10 years ago. How about getting a license in Cheltenham township and then applying for the Philly test. I could be wrong BUT I believe that if you already hold a license in another township then you don't have to prove your work history.

Or you could get creative, you friendly with any Philly area contractors, get them to right a letter or something. The people who run this city are pretty dumb, I'm sure you could fool them. I know for a fact it has been done in the past.

Aren't you in business for yourself now? How long has that been for?
I'm sure Philly doesn't verify work history because it's all about money. I'm just going to apply for it what is the worst that could happen they just say no.
pawirenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Right off the Kings Highway
Posts: 4,456
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawirenut View Post
I'm sure Philly doesn't verify work history because it's all about money. I'm just going to apply for it what is the worst that could happen they just say no.
That's the spirit.
slickvic277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: montgomery county PA
Posts: 644
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvic277 View Post
That's the spirit.

I seem to lose a lot of work because people ask if i'm licensed. And when i go through the speal that their is no statewide license in PA they think i'm dancing around the question.
pawirenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Right off the Kings Highway
Posts: 4,456
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawirenut View Post
I seem to lose a lot of work because people ask if i'm licensed. And when i go through the speal that their is no statewide license in PA they think i'm dancing around the question.

Yup, PA is in the dark ages. Maybe some day in our life time we will see a state wide license and then all this silly nonsense will be a thing of the past. At least Philly has the license requirement, other places just outside the city don't have any requirements of any kind.
slickvic277 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slickvic277 For This Useful Post:
BIGRED (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #11
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: montgomery county PA
Posts: 644
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvic277 View Post
Yup, PA is in the dark ages. Maybe some day in our life time we will see a state wide license and then all this silly nonsense will be a thing of the past. At least Philly has the license requirement, other places just outside the city don't have any requirements of any kind.
Yeah Philly has a license and has the worst electric work i have seen compared to non license areas in bucks, montco
pawirenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Right off the Kings Highway
Posts: 4,456
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawirenut View Post
Yeah Philly has a license and has the worst electric work i have seen compared to non license areas in bucks, montco

I don't know about that. Maybe in old residential settings. I've seen some atrocious work out in the counties, but then again there's awful work everywhere.

You know what, come to think of it, you might be right. But what do you expect to see when the contractors are allowed to hire there own inspectors?

Picture the conversation...."OK here's the red sticker, you need to fix somethings"......"What, f*ck that! your fired, I'm hiring another inspector"........."Wait a minute!!! Here's your green sticker, I was mistaken"

Last edited by slickvic277; 12-04-2010 at 08:24 PM.
slickvic277 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slickvic277 For This Useful Post:
BIGRED (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
BIGRED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Suburbs of Philadelphia
Posts: 1,667
Rewards Points: 1,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoultionsbySullivan View Post
Hello,
I figure that I would ask here for a person in the know about a Philadelphia License. I just applied for my Jersey License as my father has had a company for almost 40 years.

http://business.phila.gov/Documents/...electrical.pdf

Does the form for Philly make me need to register my business in the city before I can even take an exam? Is a license given to an individual and stays with an individual like NJ does or is it given to an entity like a C Corp or an LLC that shows insurance?

Thank you in advance.
Tommy
Philly might honor the Jersey license. I am pretty sure you need to have a license first then you can apply for a Business Privilege License. Don't forget to register with the PA Attorney Generals office too.
__________________
You pay peanuts, you get monkey's!

Last edited by BIGRED; 12-04-2010 at 08:26 PM.
BIGRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from Philadelphia PA ECOlightMan New Member Introductions 2 06-06-2013 02:43 AM
slickvic277 / Philadelphia Bob Badger Off Topic (Non Trade) 35 11-14-2010 09:32 AM
Philadelphia observations Innovative Off Topic (Non Trade) 15 07-23-2010 11:24 AM
Philadelphia licensing JES2727 Business, Marketing, and Sales 15 05-26-2010 08:14 AM
Getting Licensed In Philadelphia? cvanish General Electrical Discussion 1 10-18-2009 04:35 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com