pin and fork terminals - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By John Valdes
  • 1 Post By varmit
  • 1 Post By just the cowboy

Old 03-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #1
Vacated

Rewards Points: 2,844
Default pin and fork terminals

does anyone use pin terminals or seen any seasoned installations with them or any problems with them. they are supposedly better connections for stranded wire into set screw connection on devices, or terminal block. does anyone use terminals like forks or pins for set screw connections on breakers. i have used pin terminals but have not seen old installations with them. i haven't seen any problem with them and i like them for control terminal blocks. the only solid wire i use in my work is like thermocouple wire or fire alarm wire so the control wire is stranded if anyone was curious. most german instrumentation devices I work with come with wire ferrules and they require they be used. thanks

Last edited by Wiresmith; 03-04-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Wiresmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,788

Some companies spec pin terminals for all control work.
Michelin comes to mind.
The ones they use do not get crimped until its put into the terminal and tightened down.
The pressure plate terminal does the crimping. The pin is soft metal and is easily crimped by the plate and screw.
Personally I love them. But unfortunately not every panel build gets them.

There was a thread about this some years ago.

Oh.....Fork terminals got used on open screw terminal blocks. The old style bakelight mounted terminals.
Wiresmith likes this.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Valdes For This Useful Post:
Wiresmith (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
The pressure plate terminal does the crimping. The pin is soft metal and is easily crimped by the plate and screw.
Personally I love them......
If you are talking about ferrules like these then I would have to strongly disagree with you that they don't need to be crimped and that the pressure of tightening the terminal down would be sufficient.

http://www.ferrulesdirect.com/electr...E_FERRULES.htm

bill39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,596

I really like ferrule terminations on smaller wire, say # 14 and smaller. The ferrules cost less than pins and take less space. You do need another tool to crimp them. If you are using spring type terminals, ferrules are usually required for Ul or other listings.

A use that I found for ferrules: When installing twistlock plugs or connectors, if ferrules are crimped on the wires, it makes it much easier to insert the wires into the terminal without fuzzing the strands.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
varmit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,788

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill39 View Post
If you are talking about ferrules like these then I would have to strongly disagree with you that they don't need to be crimped and that the pressure of tightening the terminal down would be sufficient.

Yes, they look just like those except the pin metal was soft enough to allow the terminal to do the crimping. One step. Put on terminal, tighten down terminal screw.
I was working in a Michelin plant when I first saw them. First time I used them as well.
I think they came from Paris or some other European country.
They may have been using them incorrectly, but Michelin is a company that does very little incorrectly.
Since then all I have seen is the crimp type where a tool was required.

But they do exist or I should say they did exist since I have not seen any like that since.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25,878

Quote:
Yes, they look just like those except the pin metal was soft enough to allow the terminal to do the crimping. One step. Put on terminal, tighten down terminal screw.
I was working in a Michelin plant when I first saw them. First time I used them as well.
I think they came from Paris or some other European country.
They may have been using them incorrectly, but Michelin is a company that does very little incorrectly.
Since then all I have seen is the crimp type where a tool was required.

But they do exist or I should say they did exist since I have not seen any like that since.
Since gold and silver are out of the question...

Put your bet on tin. Unalloyed, it's pretty soft.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #7
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,146

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
Since gold and silver are out of the question...

Put your bet on tin. Unalloyed, it's pretty soft.
We had some euro machines that had them. They looked like they were crimped with a die but, none of the wire had any kind of writing on it and neither did the ferrules. All of it had to go.
Some of them were double wire ferrules.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:45 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,998

i like them on wire smaller than 20 awg, bigger than that is a waste of time using them. On high current connections ive seen some burned because of bad crimping, so i tend to avoid them, a direct connection is always better
oliquir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:55 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,524

Whether you like ferrules or not is one thing.

A very real concern is to add enough money in for the extra labor it takes to crimp every single wire. It adds up.
bill39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 404
Default I'll have to try that

Quote:
Michelin comes to mind.
The ones they use do not get crimped until its put into the terminal and tightened down.
Personally I love them. But unfortunately not every panel build gets them.

There was a thread about this some years ago.

Oh.....Fork terminals got used on open screw terminal blocks. The old style bakelight mounted terminals.
I have never used the pressure plate to crimp, but I will have to try it. I never had much luck tring to crimp them, never seemed right in strip.
John Valdes likes this.