PITA Homeowner - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-12-2015, 08:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 286
Default PITA Homeowner

How do you deal with a customer who thinks they can save money by doing some of the work themselves? Long story short, I'm working for a GC on a 2 story addition. Kitchen expansion and master bdrm/bath. Got to the job yesterday and noticed 4 extra hi hats in the kitchen that I didn't install. He jumped off one of my existing lights. He used a different brand can that my trims wont fit either. We found out the homeowner did this at night so I removed them and explained why. Insurance reasons, different style trim, etc. then I started looking around and noticed additional wires and outlet boxes. I called him back and explained it again. This time he got a little angry. I removed everything he did. He's a close friend of the GC so I'm trying to be civil here. GC says he agrees with me that this guy can't do this. Should have an interesting conversation this morning.
kgb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 08:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,018

Tell him your insurance will not cover his work. Plain and simple.
I had a gc do the same sh!t on a job to me.
I went back after I started a rough and the guy butchered a lot of my work.
I walked off the job, pulled my permit.
It sucks but it was best for me. That guy was an absolute clown also
NacBooster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NacBooster29 For This Useful Post:
51360 (02-12-2015), guest (02-12-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

I've had to walk off jobs for the same reasons.

But whether one needs to bail, or stay , i'd document any 'help' being done

People do this trying to save a $$$ are the first ones to turn it back onto the 'pro' that was there when it doesn't work out

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chicken steve For This Useful Post:
five.five-six (02-13-2015), Service Call (02-13-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 08:52 AM   #4
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,382

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb62 View Post
. GC says he agrees with me that this guy can't do this. Should have an interesting conversation this morning.
Bring an invoice with you for your time to remove the electrical.

I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daveEM For This Useful Post:
guest (02-12-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #5
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

I'd flat-out tell the person that my permit does not cover his installation, and to modify the permit and verify his wiring would cost $nnn.

The next stage is to inform him that I am not about to risk my career to save him a few bucks. Yes.... my career. If his wiring burns his house down, the first place his insurance company is going to look is whose name is on the last permit obtained. And that would be me. So his insurance files a claim against MY insurance. Then my insurance drops me with no warning. I could also lose my license if the Board finds out, either about my causing a fire or allowing the HO to do work under my license and permit.

Nope, not worth it. Explain it tactfully. If the clown doesn't get it, collect what it due and cancel your permit.
five.five-six (02-13-2015), guest (02-12-2015), Pharon (02-12-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #6
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 14,239

This is the kind of chit that needs to be stopped dead in its tracks. I have a small time GC like that. He will be replaced by a future GC who understands the process.

Business is about evolving - grooming and pampering good customers while replacing the undesirables.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
guest (02-12-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 10:36 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 866

It's a simple concept -- tell him that once your permit is closed and you're out of there, he can do whatever the hell he wants. But until then, he can't touch a thing.
Pharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #8
Petulant Amateur

Let me get this straight. The homeowner screwed around with your wiring so you spoke to the homeowner about it? Who is your agreement with and who pays you, the homeowner or the GC?

If you are contracted to the GC then you take your beef to the GC. It's the GC who should be straightening out the homeowner. If he doesn't then that tells you what kind of GC you're dealing with.

My conversations with homeowners are always light and fluffy. If there are issues, change orders, etc., I bring them up with the GC. The homeowner is not my customer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
Cow (02-13-2015), Lep (02-12-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #9
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 18,235

You should pack a big knife on your belt, like the one Crocodile Dundee had, and you pull it out when ever it gets mentioned that they want to do some of their own wiring on a job you have a permit for. Make an impression....
Drudge Report
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:53 PM   #10

So we had a "meeting" this morning with GC and homeowner. We explained to him why he can not do what he is doing. GC had my back which was helpful. I told him I'd gladly do any additional work for an additional fee but he can not do anything himself. Told both of them I will walk if it happens again. He then asked me if he can save a few dollars by installing the switches/outlets???? Like talking to a friggin wall!!
Old 02-12-2015, 05:38 PM   #11
Petulant Amateur

If a homeowner wants to save money, he can take care of painting, trash removal, etc. Even at that, homeowners don't usually understand job scheduling and hurt more than help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
five.five-six (02-13-2015), NacBooster29 (02-12-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,004

Not a chance in hell would I allow this on my ticket, but if you want to keep the job and if the homeowner wants to add his own wiring afterwards make it known that he can only add circuits after your final inspection has been signed off on.

There is no way for you to stop him after the fact, you may want to mention it to the inspector on your final but if he is the residing homeowner and the state says he can wire you are cleared in that respect.

Since the 1980's I have taken pictures of all my jobs, sourcing the Instamatic photos may be hard right now but with the advent of the digital camera and usb hard drives I have thousands of mostly asshat pictures.
xpertpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:10 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 584
What does this guy do for a living?

Engineer?
Maximumbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximumbob View Post
What does this guy do for a living?

Engineer?

Software Engineer.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:20 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb62 View Post
Software Engineer.
engineer is the key word,

I know many members here have an engineering degree but they also have one in common sense.
xpertpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:41 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 10,226

I had a customer that expressed an interest in helping to save money, I explained to him that he could help but it would cost him a lot more and the quality would not be as good as if I had preformed the work and it would take longer for me to go back and fix his work.

One day I was there alone and needed to pull some #12's about 80 feet underground and let him feed. He never asked to help again.
Liberal Paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only authorities have guns. We have such a place. It's called prison.
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote