Plastering Over Crimped Cables ? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 06-05-2007, 07:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Plastering Over Crimped Cables ?

Hi
I am having a new kitchen fitted and the electrican has done the following;

1) Removed an unwanted socket, crimped the wires together (see photo 1) and put some insulation tape around the joints. He says this is now safe to plaster over. The wires can be found under the floorboards upstairs where a junction could have been fitted, would this have been a better option ?

2) Jointed a cable together, crimped and insulation tape - again to be plastered - is this safe and good practice ? (see photo 2)

I have my own electrician doing other rooms in my house who says he shouldn't have done this and there were other methods available - who do I believe !!Please help.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Plastering Over Crimped Cables ?-image000.jpg   Plastering Over Crimped Cables ?-image002.jpg  
laurona12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250
Default Ouch

Oh my, It is illegal to barry electrical boxes in the walls its not only a fire hazard but if anything went wrong with the circuit then what?

In most cases the wires can be relocated to an accesible area or a new installation needs to happen!

If were my house I woould not allow poor workmanship like so.
calimurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
Town Drunk

Rewards Points: 2

Where are you? UK?
In the US it is required for all splices, junctions, etc to be accessable. Plastering over would be a violation.
It's not my fault, it's not my problem, I'm not your solution.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

I'm just now getting into reading the UK code, so I'm not sure if that's legal there or not, but I seriously doubt it. I note you UK style box. I think the guy who put on crimp terminals and told you to plaster over them is a nut job.

That said, I'm sorry, but I must state the following:

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:55 PM   #5
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

I changed my mind. I left this thread open. I see that the OP is a "project manager". I'm not sure what that means in the UK, but here in the states it means the person is a construction professional, so I guess it's okay for now.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:06 PM   #6

If you crimp or solder joints in the UK you then have to shrink wrap to double insulate them and then they are allowed to be inaccessible, such as under floors. Conversely JB's are not allowed where they are inaccessible. Insulating tape is not acceptable, but shrink wrap is. The crimp joint would have to be made with good ratchet crimps and pulled very hard on to ensure it is a good joint.
paul barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:31 PM   #7
Town Drunk

Rewards Points: 2

I'm glad you left this thread open Marc. That is an interesting piece of info. Thanks Paul.
It's not my fault, it's not my problem, I'm not your solution.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:15 PM   #8
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 21,898

The UK switch box that part i will not really say too much because the regulations did change a bit

for splicing the wire in UK that is allow as what Paul saying,.. it is the same with French electrical system as well but the French electrical system is slowly getting better now as i am speaking we have few diffrent codes " imported " from few areas like UK , USA [ NEC Codes ] and few others as well so it pretty instering to see it.

Merci , Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:56 PM   #9

Location: Saxon Village near Doncaster. Buildings date to 8th century.Once a Roman Road

Bad practice overall. but at a pinch Paul is correct. I would not be happy to do this myself. It seems so much easier to pull the cables back into the floor space above and terminate there. But why not pull back and make another accessory outlet. Even if it was at hight level it could be made use of at some point.At the very least a blank dual cover plate could be mounted on the accessory box and suface fixed of course. Not plastered over.

In any event. Do not leave as is.

Frank
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:42 PM   #10

Yes I would blank it off too.
paul barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:58 PM   #11
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 21,775

In the US we are also not allowed to embed non metalic cable in plaster, let alone burying up a splice in it.
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote