Plugmold Grounding - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 10-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Plugmold Grounding

I am installing an under cabinet plugmold direct wire, tapping off an existing GFI.

I am using BX and would like to connect directly to one of the backside knockouts. If I do this, is there any reason I can't then connect my plugmold ground directly to the raceway?
johnboytex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytex View Post
I am installing an under cabinet plugmold direct wire, tapping off an existing GFI.

I am using BX and would like to connect directly to one of the backside knockouts. If I do this, is there any reason I can't then connect my plugmold ground directly to the raceway?
Welcome to ET.

320.108 Equipment Grounding Conductor. Type AC cable shall provide an adequate path for fault current as required by 250.4(A)(5) or (B)(4) to act as an equipment grounding conductor.

250.4 General Requirements for Grounding and Bonding. The following general requirements identify what grounding and bonding of electrical systems are required to accomplish. The prescriptive methods contained in Article 250 shall be followed to comply with the performance requirements of this section.
(A) Grounded Systems.
(1) Electrical System Grounding. Electrical systems that are grounded shall be connected to earth in a manner that will limit the voltage imposed by lightning, line surges, or unintentional contact with higher-voltage lines and that will stabilize the voltage to earth during normal operation.
Informational Note:  An important consideration for limiting the imposed voltage is the routing of bonding and grounding electrode conductors so that they are not any longer than necessary to complete the connection without disturbing the permanent parts of the installation and so that unnecessary bends and loops are avoided.
(2) Grounding of Electrical Equipment. Normally non–current-carrying conductive materials enclosing electrical conductors or equipment, or forming part of such equipment, shall be connected to earth so as to limit the voltage to ground on these materials.
(3) Bonding of Electrical Equipment. Normally non–current-carrying conductive materials enclosing electrical conductors or equipment, or forming part of such equipment, shall be connected together and to the electrical supply source in a manner that establishes an effective ground-fault current path.
(4) Bonding of Electrically Conductive Materials and Other Equipment. Normally non–current-carrying electrically conductive materials that are likely to become energized shall be connected together and to the electrical supply source in a manner that establishes an effective ground-fault current path.
(5) Effective Ground-Fault Current Path. Electrical equipment and wiring and other electrically conductive material likely to become energized shall be installed in a manner that creates a low-impedance circuit facilitating the operation of the overcurrent device or ground detector for high-impedance grounded systems. It shall be capable of safely carrying the maximum ground-fault current likely to be imposed on it from any point on the wiring system where a ground fault may occur to the electrical supply source. The earth shall not be considered as an effective ground-fault current path.
(B) Ungrounded Systems.
(1) Grounding Electrical Equipment. Non–current-carrying conductive materials enclosing electrical conductors or equipment, or forming part of such equipment, shall be connected to earth in a manner that will limit the voltage imposed by lightning or unintentional contact with higher-voltage lines and limit the voltage to ground on these materials.
(2) Bonding of Electrical Equipment. Non–current-carrying conductive materials enclosing electrical conductors or equipment, or forming part of such equipment, shall be connected together and to the supply system grounded equipment in a manner that creates a low-impedance path for ground-fault current that is capable of carrying the maximum fault current likely to be imposed on it.
(3) Bonding of Electrically Conductive Materials and Other Equipment. Electrically conductive materials that are likely to become energized shall be connected together and to the supply system grounded equipment in a manner that creates a low-impedance path for ground-fault current that is capable of carrying the maximum fault current likely to be imposed on it.
(4) Path for Fault Current. Electrical equipment, wiring, and other electrically conductive material likely to become energized shall be installed in a manner that creates a low-impedance circuit from any point on the wiring system to the electrical supply source to facilitate the operation of overcurrent devices should a second ground fault from a different phase occur on the wiring system. The earth shall not be considered as an effective fault-current path.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HARRY304E For This Useful Post:
johnboytex (10-10-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Electrical Simpleton

Rewards Points: 172

Quote:

Are you using BX as a slang term? What type of wiring method are you actually using?

If it is BX there is a good possibility that it cannot be used as the equipment grounding conductor.

Pete
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #4

Default BX Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete m. View Post
Are you using BX as a slang term? What type of wiring method are you actually using?

If it is BX there is a good possibility that it cannot be used as the equipment grounding conductor.

Pete

Pete,

I'm using 2 wire BX (ac) with a bonding cable, wrapped back around end with connector.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Electrical Simpleton

Rewards Points: 172

Quote:
Pete,

I'm using 2 wire BX (ac) with a bonding cable, wrapped back around end with connector.
Ok... so you are actually using AC cable. In that case Harry gave you the applicable code section.

Not trying to be nit-picky but when you ask a code question you have to ask it using NEC terms (mostly) or you may get the wrong answer.

Pete
johnboytex (10-10-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete m. View Post
Ok... so you are actually using AC cable. In that case Harry gave you the applicable code section.

Not trying to be nit-picky but when you ask a code question you have to ask it using NEC terms (mostly) or you may get the wrong answer.

Pete
Pete,

Thanks. I understand that I can use the AC as ground *in general.* I'm curious about then drilling a hole and screwing in a typical grounding tail into the raceway. I understand that the raceway alone can't be sufficient, but wanted to make sure I could go this route without having to install a jbox with a grounding tail coming through the knockout hole. Plugmold carries a flush-plate adapter to use over but I would prefer to wire directly.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 123

The boding strip in AC cable doe not get wrapped around a ground screw. True AC cable is a listed grounding means, provided the correct box connectors are used.
brichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter View Post
The boding strip in AC cable doe not get wrapped around a ground screw. True AC cable is a listed grounding means, provided the correct box connectors are used.
Correct- I am not wrapping that around any screws, only peeling back around around conduit armor.

I am thinking about grounding the outlets to the raceway, which would be connected to the KO connector.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 123

Quote:
Correct- I am not wrapping that around any screws, only peeling back around around conduit armor.

I am thinking about grounding the outlets to the raceway, which would be connected to the KO connector.
I see. The plugmold I've used has a ground screw at the feed connectors.
brichter is offline   Reply With Quote