Polarization Index - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 12-06-2018, 09:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 64

Can someone explain to me the use of the data received when you check the motors polarization index? Is the test also relevant on transformers? I understand it’s a tell for moisture and thermal breakdown but can’t you just look at the past readings and determine the same thing?

I mean why the chart, math, and everything else?
TheDude_Abides is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,349

It's mainly to determine suitability of motors. Such as ones that have been sitting in a warehouse without heaters. You normally wouldn't use it for motors that are in service.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Yes, it's also relevant for transformers. Same reasons as Joey stated.
Apelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2018, 10:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
It's mainly to determine suitability of motors. Such as ones that have been sitting in a warehouse without heaters. You normally wouldn't use it for motors that are in service.
Suitability as in still serviceable?
TheDude_Abides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:02 AM   #5
Chief Flunky

Rewards Points: 332

PI is useful because some motors show good on the standard megger test (1 minute reading, temperature corrected) and does not need temperature adjustment. It worked much better on old pre-1970 insulation. It is invalid if the megger test exceeds 5000 megaohms.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
paulengr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paulengr For This Useful Post:
TheDude_Abides (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #6
Zog

Rewards Points: 1,096

When you perform a megger test you are measuring 3 different currents.

Conduction/Leakage Current - Thiscurrent passes through the surface of the insulation. The magnitude of current flow depends on theresistance of the insulation.Surfaceleakage is usually not a problem because it can be eliminated through external cleaning.

Capacitive Current - The insulatingspecimen appears, ideally, as a capacitor. As a DC voltage is applied to a capacitor initial charging current flowsuntilthevoltage drop across the component equals the source voltage. As the capacitor charges, its chargingcurrent decreases to a minimum.This iscalled its steady-state value.

Dielectric Absorption Current - Thiscurrent also appears at the initial application of test voltage the same ascapacitance current. This current isrequired to polarize the insulating medium.In other words it is energy absorbed by the insulating system.

As insulation becomes brittle its ability to absorb energy decreases, thus giving you a smaller ratio of absorption current compared to total measured current.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 7,349

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude_Abides View Post
Suitability as in still serviceable?
Maybe usability would have been a better word choice, as in, you won't have to dry it out, or send it out,(to the rewind shop) before putting it into service.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:04 PM   #8
Chief Flunky

Rewards Points: 332

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
Maybe usability would have been a better word choice, as in, you won't have to dry it out, or send it out,(to the rewind shop) before putting it into service.
I've heard the next edition of IEEE 43 is going to drop PI just as they've done with DAR (a faster alternative, 1 minute divided by 30 second reading). In its place they will recommend a graph of insulation resistance vs. time. Bad insulation that passes the basic megger test usually looks on a graph like one of three things. Contamination looks almost like random noise. Old, cracked insulation looks like stair steps. And compromised but still meeting 1 minute minimum insulation basically charges very quickly then plateaus. The PI test catches the first two conditions but misses severely cracked insulation where the graph shows it very easily.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
paulengr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paulengr For This Useful Post:
Moonshot180 (12-11-2018)