Pool Pump GFCI Protection - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 193
Question Pool Pump GFCI Protection

I attempted to install GFCI protection on a Hayward pool pump the other day using a Cutler Hammer BR GFCI breaker. The pump is computer controlled and would go through the pre-startup sequence with no problem. However, as soon as the pump itself tried to start, the GFCI breaker would trip with a ground fault. After consulting with Hayward, I discovered that they require that a Siemens GFCI breaker be used to provide ground fault protection, but they could not or would not say why. The pump works fine with a Siemens QF220 GFCI breaker.

Can anyone shed some light on why a Siemens breaker works and a Cutler Hammer breaker does not when both at ID'd to trip with a 5 ma fault?
czars is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,762

I cannot think of a reason why one would work and not the other. What would you do if you had installed a sq.d panel or a ch cutler hammer panel?
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:03 PM   #3

Wink

One would likely have to do what I did - install a small Siemens sub panel with a Siemens GFCI breaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

I'm at a loss Czar, can't imagine one manufacturer insisting on some other manufacturer's exclusive OCPD here......~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 44

Use a circuit breaker disconnect with a GFCI breaker it's a lot cheaper then an entire panel change / add
FF301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #6

Looks to me like there is some difference in the operation of the different GFCI breakers such as a delay in the starting of the GFCI operation or something else that the manufacturers of the breakers and Hayward pumps won't admit to.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:22 PM   #7

FF301 - Good idea. Can you ID one compatible with Siemens breakers?
Old 02-08-2015, 05:43 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 44

Siemens W0408L125SPA60
125 amp rated. 4 spaces, includes 60 amp 2 pole gfi brkr
just install the size brkr you need. (return 60/2 brkr to HD for a credit)

it's advertised as a spa disconnect but you can use it for whatever.
FF301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:55 AM   #9
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 18,183

I have had a spa manufacture attempt this with me before. After much resistive hoopla, and they insisted a Siemens gfi breaker had to be installed, I had an alternate idea, which was to suggest to them that the customer and myself would be bringing out the chief inspector for the jurisdiction to make an inspection call. They re-sent the mechanic immediately who this time changed out the crappy faulting heating element and no further problems, using the square-d breaker originally installed. All fine afterwards, and their spa equipment is still allowed to be sold in these here parts. win, win.
Drudge Report
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote