Post pictures of your shop setup! - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree30Likes

Old 11-17-2018, 03:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 24
Default Post pictures of your shop setup!

So I just acquired a shop, and now I want to get it all setup nice for residential electrical work. Post pictures of your setup and any ideas/recommendations you have.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drsparky14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2018, 06:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,567

I have no pictures because it is sooooo boring.

I will caution you to not fill it up with stuff that you may one day work to get rid of, like I am doing now.

If you go to the supply house multiple times per week, there is no need to stock everyday items.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
Southeast Power (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 06:59 AM   #3
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,432

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post

I will caution you to not fill it up with stuff that you may one day work to get rid of, like I am doing now.

If you go to the supply house multiple times per week, there is no need to stock everyday items.
I try to limit it to

* Bulk discount supplies and materials
* Items I use a lot, but are hard to get quickly
* Leftovers / salvage
MechanicalDVR and HackWork like this.
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2018, 07:33 AM   #4
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 7,768

Here's a picture of a shop a shop I've seen more than once:

A good friend of mine retired.
He asked me to come by and see if there was anything I could use out of his warehouse.
Imagine 40 plus years in the trade and never once throwing away or putting away a 6-32 or a wirenut at the end of the day.
Now imagine that with boxes, pipe, tools, a truck, a boat, a canoe, fishing poles, nets, traps, lamps, fittings, salvaged breakers, tools.
All stacked from the floor to hanging from the ceiling.
Everything packed in tight with only a small warn through vinyl tiled path to a wallowed out chair, facing the door under the last lit tube of a 4 lamp lensless troffer.
And there it was.
an elbo print worn shell of a former excutive desk with six dozen paper pile stalagmites and only a plate size clear spot exposed on the corners edge. Enough space to recognize a 10 year old Graybar desk calendar.
The office was a long ago man cave with a 1970s fridge and a Mr. Coffee. A coffee pot that has seen him through every crisis in his now forever changing life.
He son Monty was not interested in the trade but enjoyed the lifestyle his fathers hard work provided. He flourished in ballet and other theatrical arts until age and injury retired him to the life of a franchised strip mall hairdresser.

There ya go.
And that's a almost a thousand words that would have been better as a picture.
micromind, splatz and MikeFL like this.

Last edited by Southeast Power; 11-17-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:17 AM   #5
Sentimental Mental

Rewards Points: 1,388

This is now my shop...

Because of this...

Quote:

The garage is back to being my garage.
HackWork, stuiec, daveEM and 2 others like this.

Either you like bacon, or you are wrong.
CTshockhazard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #6
cog

Rewards Points: 1,128

Quote:

Nothing like your material owing you money.
Switched likes this.
stuiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 8,810

I have had vans stocked to the brim... only to find we were using the same small items 90% of the time, the rest we were getting before the job anyway.

Light and lean is the way to go.
HackWork and stuiec like this.
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #8
cog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched View Post
I have had vans stocked to the brim... only to find we were using the same small items 90% of the time, the rest we were getting before the job anyway.

Light and lean is the way to go.
probably saves on brakes/suspension/gas too
Old 11-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuiec View Post
probably saves on brakes/suspension/gas too
I think you could go from a 1 ton to a half ton van.

I've got an EC friend (He posts on here every once in a while), he runs a half ton van and very limited stock. He probably makes more money than me doing it.
shocksystems and HackWork like this.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:30 PM   #10
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 2,026

If you're doing residential, you really don't need a shop.

Get rid of it.
HackWork likes this.
Signal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched View Post
I think you could go from a 1 ton to a half ton van.

I've got an EC friend (He posts on here every once in a while), he runs a half ton van and very limited stock. He probably makes more money than me doing it.
Yup, I couldn't agree more about the van.

The things that you need on a van are hardware, basics like wirenuts/connectors, and tools. In addition, it is good to have some extras for either repairs (breakers, a small assortment of devices), upsells, and changes.

Things like various size boxes for when you cut out a hole in a wall that is only 2" deep. Some mulberry covers, crap like that.

For everything else, there is the supply house. If you are going for 1 item, you might as well get everything.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsparky14 View Post
So I just acquired a shop, and now I want to get it all setup nice for residential electrical work. Post pictures of your setup and any ideas/recommendations you have.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't want to be negative about your shop, I just don't want to see you waste time and (lots of) money like I did, just to spend more time getting rid of the stuff

Whatever you do, take lots of pictures, we love pictures!
Signal1 likes this.
Drsparky14 (11-20-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 01:55 PM   #13

I have a new Jman starting right after Thanksgiving. I am taking all of next week off and will be going through the van I am putting her in to restock it, clean it up and tool it out.

It'll be much much leaner than in the past.

I also agree you probably don't need a shop until you get a number of guys rolling. The shop for all of them can be the van, a shop that produces income.

I use a shared office space that I can utilize a conference room for meetings and such. Then I have a couple of storage units in the areas we work in. I have a few parts (mostly from items that were purchased years ago and bulk purchases like boxes) and tools. I keep ladders, wire caddy's, large hammer drills, generator, etc. in the storage unit.

When someone needs something, they can swing in and grab it, use it, and then return it when done. Works just like a shop but at a 80-90% discount.
Southeast Power likes this.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:01 PM   #14

I will put up some pics, I only have a few and they are from a long time ago. They are mainly to show what not to do.

Here is me getting material ready before I got my vans. I would say that 95% of that stuff I did not need and have been working to get rid of. I also don't use those briefcase style organizers anymore, I put the material into open eurobins so it's easy to access. I only have 3 briefcase style organizers on the van now, they are for the really small stuff.

Post pictures of your shop setup!-img_0484.jpg

Post pictures of your shop setup!-img_0506.jpg

Post pictures of your shop setup!-img_0507.jpg
micromind likes this.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #15
cog

Quote:
I will put up some pics, I only have a few and they are from a long time ago. They are mainly to show what not to do.

Here is me getting material ready before I got my vans. I would say that 95% of that stuff I did not need and have been working to get rid of. I also don't use those briefcase style organizers anymore, I put the material into open eurobins so it's easy to access. I only have 3 briefcase style organizers on the van now, they are for the really small stuff.

Attachment 130168
whats a eurobin?
Old 11-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #16

Quote:
whats a eurobin?

There are a lot of different lengths and widths. They are great for putting on van shelves. You can put dividers in them to hold lots of different stuff and the front isn't opened so you can load them high without stuff falling out.

Post pictures of your shop setup!-img_0828.jpg
stuiec and Switched like this.

Last edited by HackWork; 11-17-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #17
cog

Quote:
There are a lot of different lengths and widths. They are great for putting on van shelves. You can put dividers in them to hold lots of different stuff and the front isn't opened so you can load them high without stuff falling out.

Attachment 130176
What brand is the one you use? It looks similar to what I have, but I'd like to get a better look at it.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #18

Quote:
What brand is the one you use? It looks similar to what I have, but I'd like to get a better look at it.
I can't get the link to work right. Search https://www.globalindustrial.com/ for "Euro Drawer". The brand I have is Quantum.
stuiec (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 02:46 PM   #19

Quote:

Attachment 130176
I like it, but for some things, like EMT fittings, I prefer the briefcase style bins. I can grab my 1/2" EMT briefcase and I have all the items I need right there, straps, WT fittings, SS fittings... No need to pick and choose through bins for x amount of this or that.

Looks good and I see the value of doing it that way for a lot of items.
zac likes this.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #20
cog

Quote:
I can't get the link to work right. Search https://www.globalindustrial.com/ for "Euro Drawer". The brand I have is Quantum.
I see what you mean about the closed front, those look nice. Still have some open shelf space, might have to try those.