Power Inverters - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By MikeFL

Old 03-19-2018, 11:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,872
Default Power Inverters

Looking for a low power inverter for low power 10-100W applications where there is no power available. Need 10 hours run time. Can't seem to get that out of a UPC so I'm leaning towards an inverter and I'll pick up a battery from the auto parts store.

Found this "Mighty Max" inverter on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/1000W-Power-I...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Are those things any good?

Anyone have any experience with this brand or any other brands?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2018, 11:51 PM   #2
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,360

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
Looking for a low power inverter for low power 10-100W applications where there is no power available. Need 10 hours run time. Can't seem to get that out of a UPC so I'm leaning towards an inverter and I'll pick up a battery from the auto parts store.

Found this "Mighty Max" inverter on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/1000W-Power-I...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Are those things any good?

Anyone have any experience with this brand or any other brands?
I have heard good things about them as a cheaper brand. But why buy a 1000 W inverter when all you need is 150 W (for cushion)?

100 watts on 12 V is about 10 amps factoring in conversion losses. A deep cycle battery could probably do that for 10 hours easily, but I've learned the hard way that car batteries and other "cranking" batteries aren't meant for power supply applications. They are designed to deliver a lot of amps in a short amount of time. They aren't built to supply continuous current for long periods. They just don't have the life or deep cycling wherewithal, but they are cheap. If I needed backup power from a battery source, I'd get a golf cart battery(ies).

Last edited by RePhase277; 03-20-2018 at 01:06 AM.
RePhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,183

Depends entirely what you are powering. If you are ok with a choppy square wave looking output, head over to Harbor Freight. If you need true sine wave, the price goes up.
samgregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2018, 12:16 AM   #4
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

What kind of load it will be feeding to the item you need to be on the inverter?

keep in your mind there is two verison of inverter on market one is modifed or square wave or sine wave.

few items will work only on sine wave so be aware of it.

Ya can get larger deep cycle battery or diesel cranking /deep cycle battery or get multi ( 2 or more ) set up to make it longer.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:12 AM   #5
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,028

There are lots of UPS that can do 100W for 10 hours but you wind up with extra batteries. I did a quick calc with one brand I have used a lot and it comes out to right about 10 hours but it's $1300. They have rackmount too.

With the UPS the main unit isn't too bad for a high quality inverter and rectifier, but you're paying a LOT to attach little extra batteries, when you roll your own you can take advantage of big batteries but you don't get as neat of a package.
Attached Thumbnails
Power Inverters-screenshot-shopping-cart.png  

frenchelectrican likes this.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:09 AM   #6

The inverter I quoted is (according to manuf) pure sine wave. One review on Amazon (if true) shows it connected to a scope with a nice waveform. Reason I'm considering the 1kW unit is that a 500W unit is only $10 cheaper.

As to battery, I'll go for the golf cart battery. Plenty of battery houses around here and plenty of golf carts around here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
Old 03-20-2018, 08:30 AM   #7
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,008

Quote:
The inverter I quoted is (according to manuf) pure sine wave. One review on Amazon (if true) shows it connected to a scope with a nice waveform. Reason I'm considering the 1kW unit is that a 500W unit is only $10 cheaper.

As to battery, I'll go for the golf cart battery. Plenty of battery houses around here and plenty of golf carts around here.
Ah the bennies of living in retirement land.....
MikeFL likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #8
Band Member

Rewards Points: 848

Quote:

Depending on how you will use it, I'd consider a Low Voltage Disconnect. If you drain those batteries, you're really killing their lifespan.

You can get a fairly cheap LVD (adjustable for various cell technologies) for auto applications, or just use a solar charge controller ... you'll get the LVD (HVD as well) , and if ever you want to hook up a panel to it your ready for it.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:33 PM   #9

If we fry one golf cart battery that's ok. But thanks.

We get asked to do public demonstrations from time to time and it would make things so much easier to have our own power source.
samgregger likes this.

(833) GPS-TIME