pre hire process - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Signal1

Old 11-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,114
Default pre hire process

What pre employment testing do you do?

Did you create your own tests or purchase them?

Trying to develop a better hiring process
drspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2016, 09:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 306

Last two companies I worked for had their own test. They included a few "what size wire for this size load" , some trickerier code reference, basic calculations. And a few aptitude questions- If a buss or neutral bar has corrosion on it, do you clean it or replace the panel- sort of things.

I always like when people are able to show me their work and I will have this a requirement of my own. I want pictures of panels, rough wiring, show me what you have done.

How long do they stay at any one company. If they start a new job every 1-2 years, I woudn't hire them. But if they tend to stay 4+ years they might be worth hiring.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 436

We do a colour blindness test as well.

BRINGING RESPECT TO THE TRADES IS IMPERATIVE. DO YOUR PART!
The_Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,790

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Modifier View Post
We do a colour blindness test as well.
Why?
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrton View Post
Last two companies I worked for had their own test. They included a few "what size wire for this size load" , some trickerier code reference, basic calculations. And a few aptitude questions- If a buss or neutral bar has corrosion on it, do you clean it or replace the panel- sort of things.

I always like when people are able to show me their work and I will have this a requirement of my own. I want pictures of panels, rough wiring, show me what you have done.

How long do they stay at any one company. If they start a new job every 1-2 years, I woudn't hire them. But if they tend to stay 4+ years they might be worth hiring.
Most jobs I have been on you will get walked off the job if you pull out your cell phone to take pics.
kg7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:07 PM   #6
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 2,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
Why?
I once worked with a guy who was colorblind. He couldn't tell between green or blue.
He had to be kept away from panelboards, J-boxes, devices, fixtures, anywhere there were blue wire branch circuits. Always reversing the blue and green or even splicing them together, landing green on a breaker etc..

For some reason the same guy would constantly cut the marked ends off after a wire pull, so we had to ring out feeders and re-tape them., Not sure if that was related but nobody wanted to be the one throwing the breakers when this guy was around.

Nice guy too, but it was a problem.
The_Modifier likes this.
Signal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
Taco eating member

Rewards Points: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal1 View Post
I once worked with a guy who was colorblind. He couldn't tell between green or blue.
I could see this being a problem too if there was work to be done on delta systems with a high leg. I worked with someone who couldn't differentiate between shades of red (including orange).
BrettC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:18 PM   #8
Taco eating member

Rewards Points: 162

I have never had to hire anyone for electrical work but the places where I have applied, Shell and USS-Posco, had loonnnnnggg written tests. Shell had an extensive personality test too ("When driving, do you ever seek revenge on other drivers?")

UP had a second test which was all "show me" type stuff, meggering a motor, wiring a push button station, soldering, etc. Photos are great but not necessarily proof.
BrettC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #9
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettC View Post
I could see this being a problem too if there was work to be done on delta systems with a high leg. I worked with someone who couldn't differentiate between shades of red (including orange).
Some kinds of color blind confuse red and green.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:47 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal1 View Post
He had to be kept away from panelboards, J-boxes, devices, fixtures, anywhere there were blue wire branch circuits. Always reversing the blue and green or even splicing them together, landing green on a breaker etc..

For some reason the same guy would constantly cut the marked ends off after a wire pull, so we had to ring out feeders and re-tape them., Not sure if that was related but nobody wanted to be the one throwing the breakers when this guy was around.

Nice guy too, but it was a problem.
I have been hearing this all my career, yet I never knew anyone that was colorblind, nor have I ever worked for anyone that asked about this or even gave it a second thought.
I was thinking it was an old electricians tale?

Something I learned though in this same regard.
I never trust wire colors and always make sure. I have ran into old work where people used green as a hot conductor.
Yes, the plant maintenance supervisor admitted he was there when it was done and they did it because they had no other wire on hand. (3 F"n supply houses within a few miles).
From that day on, his name was hack.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:10 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 404
Default Wrote our own

We wrote our own because we could taylor it to the job we were hiring for.

We also did a hands on part that they followed from a paper so everyone was given a equal chance.
Draw and build a 3 wire circuit, now add this.
Bend a 90 with a 1" kick and a box offset.
hook up the laptop and open a program, load it, change it and save it.

Amazing how many people try to fake it.