Pvc coated rigid unistrut straps ? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Default Pvc coated rigid unistrut straps ?

Are these UL listed to be used with schedule 40, or 80 PVC also besides pvc coated rigid ?
bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #2
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 106

That would fall under the manufacturers listing. Whats the box say?
Old 02-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet View Post
Are these UL listed to be used with schedule 40, or 80 PVC also besides pvc coated rigid ?
Not likely. Straps for PVC conduit have to let the conduit slide because of the thermal expansion and contraction issues.
don_resqcapt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to don_resqcapt19 For This Useful Post:
360max (02-08-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 06:54 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a box of them. Does anyone know where I can find literature stating that these type of straps cannot be used? Schedule 40 and schedule 80 conduit are Rigid conduit. Some may say since pvc rigid conduit unistrut straps are for rigid pipe and pvc is rigid pipe then they may be used. ??? I need to show literature showing that it's either not UL, or manufacturer listed for the application.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
Quote:
Not likely. Straps for PVC conduit have to let the conduit slide because of the thermal expansion and contraction issues.
We use Stainless/Metal Heavywall straps or Rigid straps with PVC and I believe this is acceptable. The contraction and expansion which is written in the code book is very vague.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:34 PM   #6
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

I went down this road last year Bullet , thread is here , made on heck of a mess too! ~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken steve View Post
I went down this road last year Bullet , thread is here , made on heck of a mess too! ~CS~
Thanks a lot.
Did you wind up using PVC coated unistrut straps with schedule 40/80 ? Was this acceptable to the inspector ? I only have vertical runs from ground up to 4'.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:43 AM   #8
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

Quote:
Thanks a lot.
Did you wind up using PVC coated unistrut straps with schedule 40/80 ? Was this acceptable to the inspector ? I only have vertical runs from ground up to 4'.
Yes i did use pvc coated unistrut clamps on sch 40/80 bullet. It was acceptable to the ahj because pvc coated were listed. Know that they are expensive and not as available as normal strut clamps.

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:20 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 8,648

Quote:
This would depend on the length of the run.
Are you at a length where you need to have an expansion fitting?
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrannis View Post
Quote:
This would depend on the length of the run.
Are you at a length where you need to have an expansion fitting?
No short run 4' out of the ground to bottom of equipment mounted on stainless strut racks.

If these ar
Old 02-09-2015, 07:36 AM   #11

Is there going to be a listing saying that these are acceptable or it's just the AHJ who will decide whether to accept that or have me change it to stainless strut straps. I really wanted to see it in writing from the manufacturer or see it listed as for use with pvc also
Old 02-09-2015, 08:03 AM   #12

Quote:
No short run 4' out of the ground to bottom of equipment mounted on stainless strut racks.

If these ar
I think it would be a very good practice to strap it tight in this situation.
Is the conduit emerging out of concrete or is it an underground run coming up out of soil/ gravel?
Old 02-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #13
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 13,693

Expansion and contraction of 4 feet of pipe is nothing to be concerned about. If it's hard fastened in the middle, then you're talking about expansion and contraction in two 2' sections and that's even less to worry about.

Last edited by 99cents; 02-09-2015 at 09:16 AM.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #14

So I assume this means that these straps are UL listed to be used with PVC sch 80. Where does it say in the code that I can't use an EMT strap for schedule 80 conduit. Because this seems like an issue with using the correct materials.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #15

Quote:
So I assume this means that these straps are UL listed to be used with PVC sch 80. Where does it say in the code that I can't use an EMT strap for schedule 80 conduit. Because this seems like an issue with using the correct materials.
I think you are going to find the code says something like securely fastened.
I might be more like "does it fit" nothing I the code says we have to use unistrut, it's just easy to use. Not cheap but, easy.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:07 AM   #16

Quote:
I don't think you are going to find any kind of electrical NRTL listing on strut straps. They are considered hardware. You are going to have to look at what the conduit manufacturer tested the conduit with. I suspect it will be very vague.
I think you are looking for something that doesn't exist.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,044

Quote:
I think it would be a very good practice to strap it tight in this situation.
Is the conduit emerging out of concrete or is it an underground run coming up out of soil/ gravel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
Expansion and contraction of 4 feet of pipe is nothing to be concerned about. If it's hard fastened in the middle, then you're talking about expansion and contraction in two 2' sections and that's even less to worry about.
If coming out of freshly disturbed soil, wouldn't an expansion fitting be a good idea for soil shrinkage issues?
Ty Wrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #18
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 13,693

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Wrapp View Post
If coming out of freshly disturbed soil, wouldn't an expansion fitting be a good idea for soil shrinkage issues?
We just sleeve it inside a larger diameter piece of pipe if that's a concern.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:10 PM   #19

Thanks for all of your replies.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #20
Lurker...

Rewards Points: 322

Quote:
I don't think you are going to find any kind of electrical NRTL listing on strut straps. They are considered hardware. You are going to have to look at what the conduit manufacturer tested the conduit with. I suspect it will be very vague.
I think you are looking for something that doesn't exist.

Actually, there are NRTL Listings on all cable and conduit straps, beam clamps, and other related support hardware. Applicable products are manufactured to UL2239 - "Hardware for the Support of Conduit, Tubing, and Cable.", and also in the UL Whitebook as DWMU - "CONDUIT AND CABLE HARDWARE".

Many jurisdictions around the country are requiring Listed products to support conduit and MC/AC cable.
pete87 (02-11-2015)