PVC under cement walkway - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 07-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 214
Default PVC under cement walkway

Still have an older code book. Doing a job where we need to run a 20a line under a side walk in a restuarant. I could use ridgid and wrap it 6 ", or can I use PVC under cement? Does it need to be schedule 40 or 80? Do I have to go 12" or can it be 6 " with the ridgid PVC? schedule 80.
thx, Al
alselec53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by alselec53 View Post
Still have an older code book. Doing a job where we need to run a 20a line under a side walk in a restuarant. I could use ridgid and wrap it 6 ", or can I use PVC under cement? Does it need to be schedule 40 or 80? Do I have to go 12" or can it be 6 " with the ridgid PVC? schedule 80.
thx, Al
2011 Code:
Pvc= 18"
PVC under 2" concrete= 12"
PVC under 4" concrete (no vehicles)=4"

Sch 80 req coming out of ground (seal in 1st JB)

I like 4" concrete w/ 4" cover. Just pour it dry over PVC, next day it's done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Semi-Ret Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Semi-Ret Electrician For This Useful Post:
johndom91 (07-04-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi-Ret Electrician View Post
2011 Code:
Pvc= 18"
PVC under 2" concrete= 12"
PVC under 4" concrete (no vehicles)=4"

Sch 80 req coming out of ground (seal in 1st JB)

I like 4" concrete w/ 4" cover. Just pour it dry over PVC, next day it's done.
Did they change under slab?
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Did they change under slab?
Under a building, the cover requirement is 0", per table 300.5 (under 600V)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,056

Whats a "line"?
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #6

You're asking the wrong question. What happens when the pipe comes out from under the walk?

Well, at that instant the pipe has to be 24" deep. How do you plan on getting it there?
Amish Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Electrician View Post
You're asking the wrong question. What happens when the pipe comes out from under the walk?

Well, at that instant the pipe has to be 24" deep. How do you plan on getting it there?
You lost me..Code ref. please

Old 07-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Electrician View Post

Quote:
You lost me..Code ref. please
Amish has the depth for PVC (18") confused with that for direct-buriable cable (24"), but his point is valid if the conduit is going to cross from being under a concrete walk, for example, into a yard. You can put it at 4" down under the walk but it has to be at 18" as soon as it's under dirt.

Was born in HACKensack, NJ
CraigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigV View Post
Amish has the depth for PVC (18") confused with that for direct-buriable cable (24"), but his point is valid if the conduit is going to cross from being under a concrete walk, for example, into a yard. You can put it at 4" down under the walk but it has to be at 18" as soon as it's under dirt.
It doesn't make sense..with that reasoning how would come out of the ground w/ PVC into a meter?

Old 07-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,006

Quote:
It doesn't make sense..with that reasoning how would come out of the ground w/ PVC into a meter?
Apples -v- oranges. Transitions to above ground are supposed to be vertical. Amish was referring to horizontal runs. Would you emerge from under a concrete pad at 4" depth and then transition to 18", or would you make that dive while under the pad, so you're at 18" as you cross to the dirt? The former would result in insufficient cover for the length of the transition. I see no leeway in code for this, though I've often been granted some by ahj's.

Was born in HACKensack, NJ
CraigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigV View Post
Apples -v- oranges. Transitions to above ground are supposed to be vertical. Amish was referring to horizontal runs. Would you emerge from under a concrete pad at 4" depth and then transition to 18", or would you make that dive while under the pad, so you're at 18" as you cross to the dirt? The former would result in insufficient cover for the length of the transition. I see no leeway in code for this, though I've often been granted some by ahj's.
Most sidewalks are 4" thick..why not trench 4" down after you leave the sidewalk to the point you want to go vertical and pour concrete over it?

Old 07-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes
Whats a "line"?
"hey baby, you must be tired cause you have been running through my mind all day". Best used while wiggling your eyebrows....
fondini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 510

Quote:
Most sidewalks are 4" thick..why not trench 4" down after you leave the sidewalk to the point you want to go vertical and pour concrete over it?
So if you had 100' to go until your riser, you would pour 100'x 4'' x trench width of concrete?
347sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347sparky View Post
So if you had 100' to go until your riser, you would pour 100'x 4'' x trench width of concrete?
Depending on the circumstances that would be one way to do it.

If I had to use a trencher I would go down 18" (or 24" street) per T300.5 and forget about concrete.

I would also drop a warning tape 12" above buried service conductors per 300.5 D3

Old 07-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 510

Quote:
Depending on the circumstances that would be one way to do it.

If I had to use a trencher I would go down 18" (or 24" street) per T300.5 and forget about concrete.

I would also drop a warning tape 12" above buried service conductors per 300.5 D3
So if you are trenching along at 18" and come to a sidewalk you would still keep it at 18" under the sidewalk and continue on the other side at 18" until you reach your destination. I believe that is what Amish is trying to convey. You would not go up to 4" under the sidewalk but keep it at 18".
347sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347sparky View Post
So if you are trenching along at 18" and come to a sidewalk you would still keep it at 18" under the sidewalk and continue on the other side at 18" until you reach your destination. I believe that is what Amish is trying to convey. You would not go up to 4" under the sidewalk but keep it at 18".
In that case if the sidewalk was pretty narrow I would try to stay about 18" down and do a horz. bore under the sidewalk. It would be crazy to change elevation, just because of a sidewalk.

If the job was sitting on a bedrock, I would wouldn't use chipping hammers to get down to 18" either. After 50 years I've found every job is different.

The Following User Says Thank You to Semi-Ret Electrician For This Useful Post:
347sparky (07-03-2012)