Question about Solenoids (Relay/Starter/Contactor) - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Jhellwig
  • 1 Post By TRurak
  • 2 Post By B-Nabs
  • 3 Post By just the cowboy

Old 10-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,130
Default Question about Solenoids (Relay/Starter/Contactor)

The current required to cause a solenoid (or relay or starter or contactor) to close is ___ the current required to keep it closed.

Less, more, or the same?

I'm just starting to learn about relays and contactors. I understand the practicality and uses of them but don't really understand enough I guess to answer this question..

So a relay gets power and the NORMALLY OPEN contacts now close and the NORMALLY CLOSED contacts now open. So... I just don't understand the question.. Is this some sort of trick question or something, I just don't understand it haha.
JasonCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,536

I would guess that the kick in would be slightly higher than the hold.
how ever how significant it is I am not sure !

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:55 PM   #3

Found this little bit of information in my book.

"Solenoids are constructed of many turns of wire wrapped around a magnetic laminate assembly. Passing electric current through the coil causes the armature to be pulled toward the coil. Devices may be attached to the solenoid to accomplish tasks like opening and closing contacts."

So... Still I can't figure out the answer lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #4

Oh I misread the question and also found the answer in the mean time.

"Solenoid coils draw more current when first energized than the amount that is required to keep them running. In a solenoid coil, the inrush current is approximately 6 to 10 times the sealed current. After the solenoid has been energized for some time, the coil becomes hot, causing the coil current to fall and stabilize at approximately 80% of tits value when cold. Etc..."

So, the answer is MORE!

Thanks for your help! Got it now
Old 10-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #5
Sparks fly from my finger

Rewards Points: 4,559

The answer are always in the material. Good job finding it. If you can't figure it out don't ask just for the answer. Ask for the why also.
Miller6386 likes this.
JasonCo (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 08:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 52

80% of tits....... Lol
B-Nabs likes this.
TRurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRurak View Post
80% of tits....... Lol
Whoops! I guess I value tits at 80% when they are cold
Old 10-02-2016, 08:46 PM   #8
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 3,258

Here are some specs from the Allen Bradley book.....

Size 2 starter, (Max 25HP @ 460 volts), the coil inrush is 240 VA and the holding is 29 VA.

Size 6 (400 HP @ 460 volts) inrush is 4860 VA and holding is 254 VA.

700-HB relay (basic 3 pole ice cube type) inrush is 2.85 VA and holding is 1.9 VA.

An actual control power transformer is larger and heavier that a basic power transformer of the same rating because it is designed to handle the high inrush or a starter coil.

BTW, you've likely seen relay contacts listed as form A, B or most common, C. Form A is normally open, B is normally closed and C is double throw.

Further, you may have seen contact ratings expressed as A300, B600 or C150. The number here is the maximum voltage and the letter is A = 7200 VA make (closing of the contact) and 720 VA break (opening of the contact). B = 3600 VA make and 360 VA break, C = 1800 VA make and 180 VA break.

What will happen if a size 6 starter with a 120 volt coil is controlled by a relay with a C300 rating?

How about a size 2 with the same relay?
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:33 PM   #9

Ill answer this but its too late right now, got to head off to sleep. I'll give it a go tomorrow!
The Following User Says Thank You to JasonCo For This Useful Post:
micromind (10-02-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 114

Perry much anything with coils is going to be 6 to 8 times full load. You can read up on transformers to find out why. Gl

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk
Flyingsod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,094

ac = more pickup. DC = same
oliquir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #12
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 480

Also the holding current is lower than the pull-in current mostly because of the establishment of inductive reactance, not so much because of heat. Heat plays a role, I'm sure, but it's the inductive reactance that makes up the majority of the impedance in any inductive device (also eg. transformer, motor).
Big John and telsa like this.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 931

Depends on whether the solenoid has a DC or AC coil. They have much different characteristics. The AC coil has resistance and reactance. DC no XL just pure resistance of the windings.

So the AC coil has an inrush of current until the magnetic field builds up.

Grandpa was old, and he was slow. But he got there.
FaultCurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:53 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 800

Pull a spec sheet and look at the waveform.
It's going to be "greater than" but I want you to see that on the spec sheet so you see the magnitude and duration which helps you understand why.

Good luck with your studies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 326
Default Real world advice

Now that you may understand how it works, let me tell you something that may cause you to not look like a . Never remove the armature of a contactor or solonoid, then enegerize it. With out the iron center the current will never stabilize and burn it up, sometime pretty quick. So this way you won't let out the magic smoke.
Cowboy