Radio Interference - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 01-14-2015, 10:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 181
Default Radio Interference

I have 15 florescent T8 two tube fixtures that are causing extreme radio interference. The old fixtures with magnetic ballast did not cause any interference. Have any of you guys experienced this? I had an issue with this years ago and it was a grounding issue. This is not the case here, everything is grounded properly.
bigdan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #2

Verify your grounding connections. Make sure there is nothing interfering with your grounding connections.
raselectroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:02 AM   #3
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 68

Do some googling and you'll see ee is a popular problem. I've seen it also, but never ever with quality fixtures. Only withjunk from big box stores. Where did you get the lights?
rookie sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2015, 12:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I agree with the above post , it seems quality electronic ballast do not cause this problem . I've seen it alot and its usually caused by the cheap ballast .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wireman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #5

The fixtures came from my local supply house not the big box stores.

The grounding has been verified.

Changed out the ballast on a few of them just to see if that helped if there is just one on the radio is fine, but with two or more it's better but not good, and it doesn't matter which two or three are on.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:21 PM   #6
evil bastard

Rewards Points: 746

Verify the age of the ballast. The government has limited the amount of rfi a ballast can have, but if they've been on the shelf a while, you might not be meeting the latest standards.
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,568

Maybe you live in an area that has poor signal to noise ratio ?
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:42 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,206

Put in some high output fluorex lights. Have a Board inside. Have ballast built in lamp. Put it above overhead door with residential operator. When the light was on, the remote for the opener would not work. Pita... Saved big money at menards.
Cl906um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:46 AM   #9
Just trying to get home

Rewards Points: 38
Default Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
Maybe you live in an area that has poor signal to noise ratio ?
Okay, I'll bite...WTF is that supposed to mean???
cuba_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cuba_pete For This Useful Post:
drsparky (01-18-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 08:05 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba_pete View Post
Okay, I'll bite...WTF is that supposed to mean???
that radio signal is weak
oliquir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 4,969

What kind of issues are you having?
Bad Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Electrician View Post
What kind of issues are you having?
Radio signal is fine until you turn the lights on. Then it screeches loudly. This also happens with a radio head set (wireless). I am sure that it's due to the electronic ballasts.

I also remembered a time we had a college hallway we changed the lighting in and after we were done it was interfering with their custodians radios. That ended up being just one faulty ballast, so yesterday I went through and took each ballast out of the circuit at a time and still had the same issue.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:48 PM   #13
Just trying to get home

Rewards Points: 38
Default still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliquir View Post
that radio signal is weak
I was expecting to hear the poster respond to what they meant. What signal to what noise? And how the heck does signal to noise relate to a specific "area"...as in geographical or...? (for lighting???)

It's an off-the-wall comment that I don't see a point to...as in, illogical.
cuba_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:12 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 127
Default Signal to Noise Ratio WTF

SNR refers to either transmitter or receiver electronics. has nothing to do with interference from outside.
reddog552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:30 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 508

There's nothing wrong with your radio.I have the same problem. There's nothing wrong with anything. They make two grades of ballasts:industrial and residential. All my fluorescent fixtures were free from commercial jobs. I removed some fixtures from a house that were new and put their ballasts MARKED RESISDENTIAL in my fixtures. Problem gone. Interference before change was really bad even on expensive receiver.

Actually the box store is a better source for quiet fluorescent fixtures than supply house because they're more likely to be residential.look at the ballast. Bet it says industrial.I looked at all the replacement ballasts at supply house and none were marked residential. Looked at the replacement ballasts at box store and they HAD had both type and the residential ones were more expensive because they require more rfi filtering. if the ballast is multivoltage(120-277) they're not residential.
farmantenna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to farmantenna For This Useful Post:
bigdan1 (01-18-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 11:58 PM   #16
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl219um View Post
Put in some high output fluorex lights. Have a Board inside. Have ballast built in lamp. Put it above overhead door with residential operator. When the light was on, the remote for the opener would not work. Pita... Saved big money at menards.
Dafuq?

LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LARMGUY For This Useful Post:
mcclary's electrical (01-18-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 01:41 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 160

I'm assuming that you are talking about cordless radios? Not sure what the ballasts are interfering with, but if you have checked grounding, do this:

Rewire one of the lights so that the the blue wire goes to.. lets say the north end and the yellow to the south end. Then wire the other bulb with the yellow wire to the north and the red wire to the south. Get it? Shorten the wires as much as possible still leaving enough if the ends need to to be trimmed for any reason.

It is the ballast causing the interference, and they use those wires as the "transmitter" of the EMI. Running them in opposite directions should cancel out a whole lot of the signal.

Edit, keep the lamp wires close together under the cover.

Last edited by amigi968; 01-18-2015 at 01:43 AM.
amigi968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigi968 View Post
I'm assuming that you are talking about cordless radios? Not sure what the ballasts are interfering with, but if you have checked grounding, do this:

Rewire one of the lights so that the the blue wire goes to.. lets say the north end and the yellow to the south end. Then wire the other bulb with the yellow wire to the north and the red wire to the south. Get it? Shorten the wires as much as possible still leaving enough if the ends need to to be trimmed for any reason.

It is the ballast causing the interference, and they use those wires as the "transmitter" of the EMI. Running them in opposite directions should cancel out a whole lot of the signal.

Edit, keep the lamp wires close together under the cover.
I will try this.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 160

Let me know. We order our troffers for schools wired this way. They always seemed to interfere with the intercom system until we did that.
amigi968 is offline   Reply With Quote