rain sucks... My rant - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 03-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
Never Used Scotchkote

Rewards Points: 2,032
Default rain sucks... My rant

I think i'm in the mood to rant about my day...
Woke up this morning, did all my stuff, and was ready to go to school, 5 people called me at the same time to tell me school was canceled due to flooding, i was excited, so I planned on going back to bed, took a look out the window on my way back to bed, and saw that the yard was beginning to flood. Lost my idea of going back to bed, and went outside, and down to the basement to make sure everything was OK, the basement is known for flooding, I have 3 pumps in it that have held up fine in the past storm. saw that there was enough water collecting down there that it was getting close to the oil burner, found out that one of the pumps clogged up (due to my dirt floor basement), so I went out to the garage to get a screwdriver or something to unclog it, when I got to the garage, I found that the back half of it was flooded with about 3 inches of water(front and back sections of garage floor are at different heights). So I moved anything important up off the floor, and cursed that out a bit (NO part of the garage has ever flooded). After the pump was cleaned out, I moved the hoses that were about 6 inches under water where I had them outside, and moved them all out WAY behind the house with a lot of garden hoses, and pool hoses, and a bit of 1" 1/4 EMT, about 200 ft away from the house. By then then it was pouring like hell. so I went into the garage to clean up a little bit since the water was rising.
Got that all cleaned up, went in and changed back into dry clothes, and fiddled around a bit on the internet, by about 2:30 ish I went to check on everything, and found that the water rose so fast that the pumps couldn't keep up fast enough, and it rose to the motor of a NON-submersible pump, and tripped the breaker, and since the basement is dirt floored, and uneven, the water went from 1 ft to 3 ft in spots, I had to call in TMLP to come and pull the meter for about 5 mins so I could safely go in the water and reset the breaker, I know it seemed like over-doing it, but if you guys saw my sh*tty panel..... So TMLP came, and we tried to figure out how they were going to get to my meter (also the meter had the barrel lock, so I couldnt pull it myself. There is the equivalent of a moat around my house right now ranging from 1 ft of water to 3 ft all around the house.
We decide that the TMLP truck couldnt make it in my driveway due to all the water that my moms BF would get them from the parking lot next door to the dry area around the house for them to get to the meter, we would drive them over with our big pickup. we got them there and back fine the first time, but they decided to take my meter with them until the linemen came to assess if the house could be turned back on due to all the water. When they opened meter box, they expected it to be full of water, but it was dry as can be. The lineman said since my dad approved it and since he was an electrician that they could re-energize the house, I had every breaker off when they de-metered me, and when they powered it back up, I had to go IN THE WATER and turn it all back on, with the water up to my waist, I think that was the slowest amount of time it took me to flip maybe 30 breakers back on, I kept following evey wire to check that it wasnt in the water...once that we had the meter in and the power back on, we had to get the TMLP guys off of my "island" and back to their trucks. My moms bf wasnt so smart and drove too far onto the grass, and ended up spinning the tires, and got the trucks front passenger tire stuck in the yard. thankfully my mom works as a dispatcher for a towing company, and we got the truck out, and the TMLP guy got back to his truck with out getting wet. They said my yard was the worst they have ever seen, and one guy was working there for a good 25 years as a meter reader, the other lady took out her phone and took pics of it saying "no one is going to believe this".
After that mess, I saw that the driveway was getting over flooded, and got the bright idea to get my tractor with the plow on it to push the water out of the driveway, and into the woods across the street, it worked for a little while, but then turned to be useless, so I parked it back in the garage, and watched the garage flood to about 2-3 inches in the front part now, and double in the back part. At about 3:30 ish I had to get my brother from the bus to the house since the front yard is a POND (and some ducks showed up earlier) so I grabbed my tractor, and pulled it up to the end of the driveway, and turned on my flashing lights (tractor video at end of post if i can remember) and waited for him. Once i got him back to the house, I put the tractor away, and went and checked on the pumps and hoses, which I have been doing every few hours, and probabily will be doing all night. Just about an hour ago i found an inner-tube for a pool, and blew it up and went out in the water for a few mins to let my mom take some pics, about 3 cars stopped to take pics. the water was COLD! So here I am now, garage flooded, yard as a pond, and the basement still with 2 ft of water, and 3 pumps pumping non stop, and me sitting on my computers facebook-ing and chatting away.... I hate rain like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_kCvMwaHYc
That's my awesome tractor, lol if i have to use it tomorrow, im going to attach the red strobe to it since people are too ignorant to see red better than 3 clear (one strobe, 2 wig wags) and 3 orange flashing lights (one plow light, and 2 tail lights)

Last edited by JoeKP; 03-30-2010 at 09:56 PM.
JoeKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,002

TMLP? You live in Taunton?
user4818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
Never Used Scotchkote

Berkley, but still in TMLP district
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,198

Okay, so you were standing, waist deep in water, turning on circuit breakers, and your mom's BF isn't very smart? Why don't she get rid of him?
RIVETER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RIVETER For This Useful Post:
leland (02-29-2012)
Old 03-30-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
NJ-IEC

Rewards Points: 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKP View Post
I think i'm in the mood to rant about my day...
Woke up this morning, did all my stuff, and was ready to go to school, 5 people called me at the same time to tell me school was canceled due to flooding, i was excited, so I planned on going back to bed, took a look out the window on my way back to bed, and saw that the yard was beginning to flood. Lost my idea of going back to bed, and went outside, and down to the basement to make sure everything was OK, the basement is known for flooding, I have 3 pumps in it that have held up fine in the past storm. saw that there was enough water collecting down there that it was getting close to the oil burner, found out that one of the pumps clogged up (due to my dirt floor basement), so I went out to the garage to get a screwdriver or something to unclog it, when I got to the garage, I found that the back half of it was flooded with about 3 inches of water(front and back sections of garage floor are at different heights). So I moved anything important up off the floor, and cursed that out a bit (NO part of the garage has ever flooded). After the pump was cleaned out, I moved the hoses that were about 6 inches under water where I had them outside, and moved them all out WAY behind the house with a lot of garden hoses, and pool hoses, and a bit of 1" 1/4 EMT, about 200 ft away from the house. By then then it was pouring like hell. so I went into the garage to clean up a little bit since the water was rising.
Got that all cleaned up, went in and changed back into dry clothes, and fiddled around a bit on the internet, by about 2:30 ish I went to check on everything, and found that the water rose so fast that the pumps couldn't keep up fast enough, and it rose to the motor of a NON-submersible pump, and tripped the breaker, and since the basement is dirt floored, and uneven, the water went from 1 ft to 3 ft in spots, I had to call in TMLP to come and pull the meter for about 5 mins so I could safely go in the water and reset the breaker, I know it seemed like over-doing it, but if you guys saw my sh*tty panel..... So TMLP came, and we tried to figure out how they were going to get to my meter (also the meter had the barrel lock, so I couldnt pull it myself. There is the equivalent of a moat around my house right now ranging from 1 ft of water to 3 ft all around the house.
We decide that the TMLP truck couldnt make it in my driveway due to all the water that my moms BF would get them from the parking lot next door to the dry area around the house for them to get to the meter, we would drive them over with our big pickup. we got them there and back fine the first time, but they decided to take my meter with them until the linemen came to assess if the house could be turned back on due to all the water. When they opened meter box, they expected it to be full of water, but it was dry as can be. The lineman said since my dad approved it and since he was an electrician that they could re-energize the house, I had every breaker off when they de-metered me, and when they powered it back up, I had to go IN THE WATER and turn it all back on, with the water up to my waist, I think that was the slowest amount of time it took me to flip maybe 30 breakers back on, I kept following evey wire to check that it wasnt in the water...once that we had the meter in and the power back on, we had to get the TMLP guys off of my "island" and back to their trucks. My moms bf wasnt so smart and drove too far onto the grass, and ended up spinning the tires, and got the trucks front passenger tire stuck in the yard. thankfully my mom works as a dispatcher for a towing company, and we got the truck out, and the TMLP guy got back to his truck with out getting wet. They said my yard was the worst they have ever seen, and one guy was working there for a good 25 years as a meter reader, the other lady took out her phone and took pics of it saying "no one is going to believe this".
After that mess, I saw that the driveway was getting over flooded, and got the bright idea to get my tractor with the plow on it to push the water out of the driveway, and into the woods across the street, it worked for a little while, but then turned to be useless, so I parked it back in the garage, and watched the garage flood to about 2-3 inches in the front part now, and double in the back part. At about 3:30 ish I had to get my brother from the bus to the house since the front yard is a POND (and some ducks showed up earlier) so I grabbed my tractor, and pulled it up to the end of the driveway, and turned on my flashing lights (tractor video at end of post if i can remember) and waited for him. Once i got him back to the house, I put the tractor away, and went and checked on the pumps and hoses, which I have been doing every few hours, and probabily will be doing all night. Just about an hour ago i found an inner-tube for a pool, and blew it up and went out in the water for a few mins to let my mom take some pics, about 3 cars stopped to take pics. the water was COLD! So here I am now, garage flooded, yard as a pond, and the basement still with 2 ft of water, and 3 pumps pumping non stop, and me sitting on my computers facebook-ing and chatting away.... I hate rain like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_kCvMwaHYc
That's my awesome tractor, lol if i have to use it tomorrow, im going to attach the red strobe to it since people are too ignorant to see red better than 3 clear (one strobe, 2 wig wags) and 3 orange flashing lights (one plow light, and 2 tail lights)
Old 03-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #6
Never Used Scotchkote

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVETER View Post
Okay, so you were standing, waist deep in water, turning on circuit breakers, and your mom's BF isn't very smart? Why don't she get rid of him?
He's not smart to my standards, wehn living with an electrician for 16 years, then having to switch to someone who barely knows how to reset a breaker can be kind of annoying.
and yes, WAIST deep, I checked all the wires, and there was noting in the water I needed to be concerned about
Old 03-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #7

Quote:
He's not smart to my standards, wehn living with an electrician for 16 years, then having to switch to someone who barely knows how to reset a breaker can be kind of annoying.
and yes, WAIST deep, I checked all the wires, and there was noting in the water I needed to be concerned about
How about yourself?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
Never Used Scotchkote

Quote:
How about yourself?
at that time, i felt a little uneasy, but it needed to all get turned back on, each breaker took me at-least a minute to get turned on
Old 03-30-2010, 11:08 PM   #9

Quote:
at that time, i felt a little uneasy, but it needed to all get turned back on, each breaker took me at-least a minute to get turned on
Why did they take a minute apiece? Were you praying?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,012

I read none of these.

But yes, the rain bites. sucks-I think get's censored.
leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
Never Used Scotchkote

Quote:
Why did they take a minute apiece? Were you praying?
Yes, I followed each wire, form the breaker, out of the panel and made sure that it wasn't in water (a few of the wires haven't been completely stapled up yet)
Old 03-31-2010, 11:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Yes, I followed each wire, form the breaker, out of the panel and made sure that it wasn't in water (a few of the wires haven't been completely stapled up yet)
I've actually done similar things, but now I wonder why?
Old 03-31-2010, 09:14 PM   #13
Never Used Scotchkote

heres the pics, i may add more later-ish
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=532ae2fa9b
Old 02-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #14
Never Used Scotchkote

bumping for nostalgia!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #15
Bababoee

Rewards Points: 2,030

Hitting the enter button with a little more frequency will make it easier to read this LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOng post..
Old 02-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #16
Never Used Scotchkote

Yes. I may go back and edit it after I find the post I originally went searching for
Old 02-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #17
Bababoee

Quote:
Yes. I may go back and edit it after I find the post I originally went searching for
You had me at I woke up this morning... almost had a J D Salinger sound to it.. but my eyes got crossed trying to read it ...
Old 02-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #18
Chairman of the Bored

Rewards Points: 2,540

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkirk View Post
You had me at I woke up this morning... almost had a J D Salinger sound to it.. but my eyes got crossed trying to read it ...
No sh*t. Edit yourself, no offense: put it in a few sentences...and use paragraphs if you need more.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #19
Bababoee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzKill View Post
No sh*t. Edit yourself, no offense: put it in a few sentences...and use paragraphs if you need more.
I would but its got to many run on sentances..
Old 02-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #20
Chairman of the Bored

Rewards Points: 2,540