Receptacle Behind a Gas Range - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By frenchelectrican
  • 1 Post By A Little Short
  • 2 Post By HackWork
  • 2 Post By Going_Commando

Old 09-15-2017, 09:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,146
Default Receptacle Behind a Gas Range

Customer wants a receptacle for a gas range. It is a "free standing" range. What is the height needed for these?
Does it need to go low like an electric range so it can go against the wall?
Don't remember ever having to do one for a gas range and don't know if there is a void anywhere on the back of them so the plug can go into that to allow it to be pushed back to the wall.

A Little Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2017, 09:32 PM   #2
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 21,898

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Short View Post
Customer wants a receptacle for a gas range. It is a "free standing" range. What is the height needed for these?
Don't remember ever having to do one for a gas range and don't know if there is a void anywhere on the back of them so the plug can go into that to allow it to be pushed back to the wall.
The freestanding gas ranges useally cant slam aginst the wall due the gas pipe come up from the wall or floor .,

I useally keep the gas range receptacle low side due some of the gas range the back part of the range get pretty hot.

but most modern gas range do have some type of cavity in back so they can countersunk it more deeper I think about 3 inches the most.

but the customer will have to be aware about the gas shut off valve location ( that will show up on gas code / state codes )
A Little Short (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 09:47 PM   #3

Do they have a drawer at the bottom like an electric range?
If so, that usually allows the recep to clear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2017, 10:04 PM   #4
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Short View Post
The gas range should have an area towards the bottom of the appliance. Put the receptacle low. Get the model # and google it. You should be able to find information online such as specs and possible areas to locate the receptacle.
Chris1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:05 PM   #5
MTW

Rewards Points: 11,332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1971 View Post
The gas range should have an area towards the bottom of the appliance. Put the receptacle low. Get the model # and google it. You should be able to find information online such as specs and possible areas to locate the receptacle.
I found out about this the hard way once.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:07 PM   #6
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
I found out about this the hard way once.
I feel your pain.
Chris1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1971 View Post
Lady just moved in and hasn't ordered the range yet. So I don't have a model yet.
frenchelectrican likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to A Little Short For This Useful Post:
Chris1971 (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 11:00 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,261

In my experience gas stoves have a large cutout behind them for the gas piping. It's not like electric in which the back is flat other than the bottom behind the drawer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #9
Magic Smoke Remover

Rewards Points: 1,966

I used to put them high but lately the stoves have shown up and where the box ended up was nailed horizontal to the bottom plate of the wall! Gas convection can be really really tight for hookups.
matt1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1124 View Post
Gas convection can be really really tight for hookups.

Your telling me I spent 4 hours moving a gas line 2.5 inches back above a WH, in between framing, water and gas lines going every which way. 4 hours just to get the stove 2.5 inches farther back and I still couldn't get it far enough back to get it all the way against the wall. At least they were happy and paid for my time. The 2 and half inches did make a pretty big difference when your talking the stove sticking almost 4 inches out from the wall originally.
oldblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:57 PM   #11
Magic Smoke Remover

Rewards Points: 1,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
Your telling me I spent 4 hours moving a gas line 2.5 inches back above a WH, in between framing, water and gas lines going every which way. 4 hours just to get the stove 2.5 inches farther back and I still couldn't get it far enough back to get it all the way against the wall. At least they were happy and paid for my time. The 2 and half inches did make a pretty big difference when your talking the stove sticking almost 4 inches out from the wall originally.
The problem come from these online only companies. Any time a customer orders appliances online from some Chinese middleman it's going to be a pain. Had a customer buy THOR KITCHEN one time, we were there all day hooking that junk up!
matt1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to matt1124 For This Useful Post:
rrolleston (09-20-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 08:12 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,620

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1124 View Post
I used to put them high but lately the stoves have shown up and where the box ended up was nailed horizontal to the bottom plate of the wall! Gas convection can be really really tight for hookups.
That's what I do now. Nail the box right on the shoe of the wall.
frenchelectrican and matt1124 like this.
rrolleston (09-20-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #13
neutral member

Rewards Points: 258

I don't do many gas ranges but suspect that there is no location that will work with every model

So far been lucky and had range or cut sheet