Red Wing boots to Wing Tip shoes - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By just the cowboy
  • 1 Post By MCasey
  • 3 Post By Going_Commando
  • 1 Post By nrp3

Old 08-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 70
Default Red Wing boots to Wing Tip shoes

Hey Guys
I haven't been on the forum in months. I've been working as an assistant project manager. I also received my journeyman licesne a few months ago. I've been working on doing estimates/bids, labor phasing, change orders, and all that. However, I'm realizing that I've been in the office almost 10 months, it seems rather mundane at times. We are required to work 45-50 hours a week which is fine. At the same time, I feel like part of me would rather go back into the field lol. It's great coming into the office and getting coffee, donuts, lunches etc whatever but it just seems like the project managers here work themselves to death. They just look like ****. I'm in my late 20's and I feel like there's more money to be made working in the field somewhere. Also, I really don't want to forget all my electrical training. The general consensus I get from this forum is starting your own one man business is just a pain in the ass. Is there any other part of the industry where an electrican can make around 100k a year and not have to answer phone calls on vacation/weekends like project managers? My other alternative is stick with the office route and eventually leave for company that pays more money or become an inspector of some sorts. Thoughts?

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,974

Everything has pros & cons. Will your body last until age 60 if in the field? Will you then have the means to retire? Think long term. I would opt for the office if I were good at it.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool612 View Post
Hey Guys
Is there any other part of the industry where an electrican can make around 100k a year and not have to answer phone calls on vacation/weekends like project managers?
You want the high pay you got pay for it somehow.

Cowboy
Bird dog likes this.
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
Government Services

Rewards Points: 4

In this field you are going t find that the people in the trenches doing the physical work generally make more money than office staff up to uppr management in large firms

Very familiar with all my numbrs for the second quarter of the year and labor payroll takes the lions share of what coms in.
glen1971 likes this.
MCasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCasey View Post
In this field you are going t find that the people in the trenches doing the physical work generally make more money than office staff up to uppr management in large firms

Very familiar with all my numbrs for the second quarter of the year and labor payroll takes the lions share of what coms in.
Are you union or non-union?
Old 08-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 26,208

Field troops usually face swinging wages -- especially seasonal layoffs -- until they've reached exalted status.

They also take hits to their body: knees, backs, wrists.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,498

I doubt there are more than a handful of jobs in the US that pay 6 figures and don't require phone calls and stuff after hours/on the weekend other than New York City employees and NYC union construction workers.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:48 PM   #8
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post
I doubt there are more than a handful of jobs in the US that pay 6 figures and don't require phone calls and stuff after hours/on the weekend other than New York City employees and NYC union construction workers.
But the fact that it's so god damn expensive to live there it probably levels the playing field. The more risk, the more stress, etc., the better pay, regardless of field. Usually using your head, rather than hands pays better, though not always. Yes, as other's have said, this, like other trades takes a physical toll on all of us. On the other hand, I know people who are lawyers who are in worse shape later in life, because of sports hobbies. It is what it is.
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:59 PM   #9
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,460

Working in the field does cause some wear and tear on the body, although if you're smart and a little lucky you'll avoid the worst of it. Conversely working at a desk his ill effects on the body due to inactivity but likewise with effort you may avoid those ill effects.

Believe it or not I'd say the more important difference is what working in the field or working at a desk does on your head. This is a very individual thing and it doesn't really have to do with ability but temperment.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:15 PM   #10
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 16

I think the best advice is to find balance. Know yourself and do what makes the most sense for you and your family if you have one.
Bird dog likes this.
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:13 PM   #11
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,344

You have a nice balance right out of the chute.
I would suggest getting a bit more field experience. That will make you a better project manager and gain the respect of the field crews.
Keep up on the industry and when you get right at the peak of your game, mid to late 40s, you would be a very valuable General Foreman, shop superintendent, PM or join the old men and be an estimator.

I think with the right experience, you have more choices than most people will ever have.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:48 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 330

$35 an hour , 50 hours a week is $100,100.00 a year,...
Wardenclyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:21 PM   #13
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardenclyffe View Post
$35 an hour , 50 hours a week is $100,100.00 a year,...
Lol. You are assuming OT.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:28 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 7,109

And I was going to congratulate you on your retirement. Never mind.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:32 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool612 View Post
Hey Guys
I haven't been on the forum in months. I've been working as an assistant project manager. I also received my journeyman licesne a few months ago. I've been working on doing estimates/bids, labor phasing, change orders, and all that. However, I'm realizing that I've been in the office almost 10 months, it seems rather mundane at times. We are required to work 45-50 hours a week which is fine. At the same time, I feel like part of me would rather go back into the field lol. It's great coming into the office and getting coffee, donuts, lunches etc whatever but it just seems like the project managers here work themselves to death. They just look like ****. I'm in my late 20's and I feel like there's more money to be made working in the field somewhere. Also, I really don't want to forget all my electrical training. The general consensus I get from this forum is starting your own one man business is just a pain in the ass. Is there any other part of the industry where an electrican can make around 100k a year and not have to answer phone calls on vacation/weekends like project managers? My other alternative is stick with the office route and eventually leave for company that pays more money or become an inspector of some sorts. Thoughts?
He Said it,...
Wardenclyffe is offline   Reply With Quote