Retro potlights in soffit - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 06-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 278
Default Retro potlights in soffit

Had a job today adding some spotlights into an existing soffit I had good access from the attic so I used new work potlights and was able to screw them in.

My question is has anyone used retro or old work pot lights in a soffit ? Do the clips clamp down enough ?

Does the soffit hold it adequately or do they look like crap and sag?
JPRO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JPRO2 For This Useful Post:
Chink (06-25-2012)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
jza
Mad as Hell Member

Rewards Points: 2,318

Clips work fine.
jza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,058

Depends on the soffit material, right? I imagine in an exterior vinyl soffit they might sag.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #4

Typical installation would be light guage tin I imagine it would hold fine but I'm not sure I remeber there was a thread about this recently but forgot who the member was that posted it
Old 06-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
felonious smile.

Rewards Points: 572

I take it to an extreme , if it's vinyl I remove the section, cut a square and mount new work cans. Replace the section and rotozip the opening and the adjust the depth on the can to where the vinyl sags. Otherwise i noticed the cut ins suck sections of soffit up while others have settled in their sag.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,004

I was on a job where we installed 30 4" Halo LED retros in a sheet metal drop ceiling. The light they delivered was amazing, but the housings hung out of the ceiling a little bit because the clips wouldn't grip something that thin. Luckily they were very high up and nobody could see. Certain styles of trim could hide this, but not your average standard white eyeball or regressed. If you had a Contrast style housing, with screw-down clips, it would probably hold just fine. Springy Halo-type clips wouldn't give you the same fit.

Not sure about making the soffit itself sag though. Seems like a new construction housing would probably be the best at preventing that if there's access.
Vintage Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

In most cases I remove the clips and put screws through the clip holes into the 1 by 4.
Theriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:36 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

It's the trim that worries me. During pressure washing they could be blown right out the can. Wasp is a problem here also if the cans aren't turned on enough they find their way in through the siding and the trim. This is a trend putting the lights in the sofit lately. Every other house wants them.
Theriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #9

Thanks for the input everyone I might try it out on a piece of soffit I have around before I cut a hole in a customers soffit. Today was no problem using new work cans but I won't always be that lucky