Romex in Channel : Wood Cabinet - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By backstay
  • 5 Post By splatz
  • 3 Post By PlugsAndLights
  • 1 Post By onilozay
  • 2 Post By hardworkingstiff

Old 12-27-2016, 07:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 241
Default Romex in Channel : Wood Cabinet

I've got a contractor who wants to install a cabinet next to a window in the bedroom. It has a small sitting area with 2 sconces for reading area.

He wants to run romex inside the cabinet wood by routing a channel so its buried in the wood. Then he covers it with a 1X4 which is part of the cabinet design. Goes to pancake box for sconce. He doesn't want MC Cable because of custom cabinet.

My understanding is Romex can go in walls but is it ok to embed it inside the wood like this?

My gut feeling is no, for 2 reasons (NEC 334.15(B) Protection from Physical Damage),

1) heating of wire has no way to cool should it heat up in the channel

2) if cabinet gets loose from wall or moves even a small amount, romex has week spot from wall to cabinet.

Has anyone run into this before, is it up code to embed romex in wood?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
onilozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2016, 08:09 PM   #2
German Spy

Rewards Points: 3,847

Quote:
Originally Posted by onilozay View Post

My understanding is Romex can go in walls but is it ok to embed it inside the wood like this?

Has anyone run into this before, is it up code to embed romex in wood?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Yes, and yes.
Helmut is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Helmut For This Useful Post:
onilozay (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 08:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 296

A built-in cabinet is part of the wall. That said, you protect the wire with steel. In log homes, I buy long strips of steel from Menards and make the groove big enough to lay it in over the romex. Then I will cover it with 1x material.
hardworkingstiff and Majewski like this.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2016, 08:30 PM   #4

That sounds like an interesting method, thx for the pointer.

So just like a bottom flat peice, then romex then top piece, sandwiched.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:39 PM   #5
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,290

Try this method

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2001...-vintage-house

If you use a channel at least 1/16th inch thick you should be OK
onilozay (12-27-2016), telsa (12-28-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 08:48 PM   #6
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 2,880

And don't worry about the heat build up. If it can be encased in spray foam
it'll be ok anywhere.
P&L
backstay, five.five-six and Max C. like this.
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
PlugsAndLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:03 PM   #7

Thank all of you, this answers my questions! Yes, that diagram is sweet, so I'll just have to let the contractor know, he's a very good woodworker, clearly we'll have to protect it with steel casing, just like nail plates protect for screws. Thanks!
PlugsAndLights likes this.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:11 PM   #8
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,579

You'd love living around where I live. Older houses have cables running in a channel on all the baseboards capped with a little 1/2''x 1/2 '' cover nailed on over top . Then they go up a chase cut in door frames , all the way around any door, and sometimes are run below the aluminum floor jamb of glass sliding doors, and in thousands of houses the lights and many home runs are just run across the top of the roof plywood sheeting with a 2''' wet mop job right on top. At least thats how the older days. We still run lots of wood molding to cover wiring. 7/8'' thick, 1-5/8 '' wide . A U cut out of one side for covering the cables. But all new houses have to be framed by minimum 2''x 4'' construction nowadays. Those get drilled holes. In the middle.....
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:25 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 8,890

Why not just run it in MC?
Liberal Paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only authorities have guns. We have such a place. It's called prison.
five.five-six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:35 PM   #10

I initially thought MC cable too, but he doesn't want it showing, aesthetics I guess.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:03 AM   #11
NDC

Rewards Points: 2,184

Quote:
Originally Posted by onilozay View Post
I initially thought MC cable too, but he doesn't want it showing, aesthetics I guess.
I think he means run MC and also have it covered. This would eliminate having to add a protection plate.
NDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:29 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 14,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDC View Post
I think he means run MC and also have it covered. This would eliminate having to add a protection plate.
I read 300.4(F) to require a protection plate for any cable or raceway installed in a shallow groove (like the OP is considering).

Also review 300.4(A)(2), the exceptions list some metal conduits but not MC.
splatz and Byte like this.
Three vastly different enemies, but enemies who shared one common trait. ALL of them stifle free speech. All of them bully, degrade and terrorize those who hold opposing views and who peacefully express them. All of them are intolerant and demand “loyalty” to the leader. Michael Sand
hardworkingstiff is offline   Reply With Quote