Romex Racer's Residential Spreadsheet - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 11-17-2014, 11:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,332
Default Romex Racer's Residential Spreadsheet

Can anyone here hook me up with his spreadsheet? I've tried pulling it off the old EKR website, I tried shaking down some of the older members here who were around during his time - no luck....

Celtic was gonna email it to me, but then he went MIA and the trail went cold. Anybody else here have access to it, or did it disappear with Richard? This has really turned into the search for the Lost Ark....

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Ditch Digging Dummy

Rewards Points: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHElectric View Post
Can anyone here hook me up with his spreadsheet? I've tried pulling it off the old EKR website, I tried shaking down some of the older members here who were around during his time - no luck....

Celtic was gonna email it to me, but then he went MIA and the trail went cold. Anybody else here have access to it, or did it disappear with Richard? This has really turned into the search for the Lost Ark....
I have never heard of this spreadsheet you speak of. What does it's mysteries contain?
3D Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Electric View Post
I have never heard of this spreadsheet you speak of. What does it's mysteries contain?
Tales of illegal immigrants, backstabbing #14, outwitting treacherous GC's, adventure, mayhem....... Seems to to be cursed...

Mostly it's just a very well put together unit pricing spreadsheet for Romex jobs. Every time I've tried to get my hands on this thing, everybody gets real quiet and tells me to talk to someone else.....
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
Ditch Digging Dummy

Rewards Points: 52

Quote:

Tales of illegal immigrants, backstabbing #14, outwitting treacherous GC's, adventure, mayhem....... Seems to to be cursed...

Mostly it's just a very well put together unit pricing spreadsheet for Romex jobs. Every time I've tried to get my hands on this thing, everybody gets real quiet and tells me to talk to someone else.....
Sounds mysterious. I would also like to see this spreadsheet. We end up on a lot of romex jobs and it may come in handy
3D Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 256

im interested in this as well. very hush, hush. a secret like anything else.. perhaps biggest gripe of this whole industry. i did a Bing search and pulled up some screenshots from various links.. even found the original link to his spreadsheet but alas Safari says server is gone. figure someone interested enough could build from those screenshots.. hours of work tho.
theJcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
RIP 1959-2015

Location: Reporting From Fenway Park Home of the Boston Red Sox....
Rewards Points: 180

Quote:

Simple spreadsheet for determining flat rate pricing for remodels or for bidding remodel jobs. I have preset the parts costs, they are an approximation of what the parts would cost plus about 30%.

I have also thrown together the labor units associated with this work, I figured that even under the worst circumstances a guy can rough in 10 boxes a day, YMMV so change values to reflect your performance expectations. I figured triming out about 3 fixtures per hour, again, just customize to suit.

In the upper right there's an area with a gray background, all you do there is plug in your labor rate, I've preconfigured it with $80. This gray area is where your results are listed, total rough hours, total finish hours, total hours, total parts cost and finally the job price.

Insert rows for additional items where needed, just make sure to copy and paste any formulas...

This is pretty simple, and should allow you to arrive at what you should be charging for remodel work and it will also be useful for bidding jobs. The rough and finish times I think are helpful for anticipating how long a job will take.

Enjoy it, play with it, use it, delete it, whatever makes you happy!

http://www.haskinselectric.net/whoop...Rate_Sheet.xls

Romex Racer Oh, one more thing bears mentioning. The leftmost column is marked "code". This is simply the row number of the item. I've come up with a code system for every item. The code for any given item is the "code number" followed by a 3 digit number for rough labor units followed by a 3 digit number for finish labor units.

IE: The CODE number for a Smoke Detector is: 19070010

If you give your electricians code numbers and they are being paid piecework, they can easily look at the code number and know that they will be paid .1 x their hourly wage for trimming out a smoke detector. I'm a big believer in providing incentives to reward productive workers. If a guy roughs in 2 smokies in one hour and each smokie is worth 42 minutes, he will be paid for 84 minutes for that hour.

Whoop! Whoop!

http://www.electricalknowledge.com/f...hives/2744.asp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #7

This guy (Romex Racer), printed up a very detailed sheet with material & labor costs. He posted it on an old electrical forum called Electrical Knowledge Repository, which is long gone. You can still pull it up the forum with Google and read it, but none of the links.

Several members here were members at that site when he was around - Getting them to share this file has been WAY more of a challenge than I ever thought it would be, and so far I've had no luck.

FWIW, I've been bugging some of these guys for over a year for this thing.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #8

Harry, that link goes to a page that says error. I've tried pulling out up several times before.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
RIP 1959-2015

Quote:
Harry, that link goes to a page that says error. I've tried pulling out up several times before.
Yes sorry....

Check out this post by Celtic...

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f15/f...94/#post931666

Old 11-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,312

Romex racer is not a member here by that name. Here is a post by Celtic with a txt file on unit pricing

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthrea...ht=#post672717
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #11
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,382

When I retire completely I'm going to try and write an app for this.

I've a wonderful spreadsheet I wrote over the last 10 or 20 years somewhere on my crashed drive.. I've recovered many files so don't really think there should be a problem.

Actually based on an estimating program I took in 1975.

Probably no good today and it's Canadian anyway.

Forget I posted this.

I like perfect.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daveEM For This Useful Post:
chicken steve (11-17-2014), dronai (01-06-2015)
Old 11-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #12
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

Judging by what I can find online, it looks eerily similar to the Excel program I've written over the years.
niteshift (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #13
Premium Member

Rewards Points: 439

Make your own guys, it's not that hard.
dronai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dronai For This Useful Post:
fargowires (11-17-2014), glen1971 (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 4,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronai View Post
Make your own guys, it's not that hard.
Especially with market variables in prices and manpower abilities... Not too mention some in the northern climates may want to add in something for winter work, where as an electrician in Florida may not even need to worry about it..
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #15
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 21,775

We stored it on Planet Macmikeman where it is considered to be a interplanetary treasure

http://expirebox.com/download/6cd96b...c1c811906.html
Black Dog (11-18-2014), daks (11-19-2014), jw0445 (11-18-2014), mdfriday (11-18-2014), The_Modifier (11-17-2014), Ultrafault (11-18-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 11:27 PM   #16
RIP 1959-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
We stored it on Planet Macmikeman where it is considered to be a interplanetary treasure

http://expirebox.com/download/6cd96b...c1c811906.html

Planet Macmikeman

Old 11-17-2014, 11:31 PM   #17
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 21,775

Not real sure, but I believe that to be Celtic's rework of the original RR spreadsheet. Whoop Whoop!
The_Modifier (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 11:59 PM   #18
RIP 1959-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
Not real sure, but I believe that to be Celtic's rework of the original RR spreadsheet. Whoop Whoop!
Good stuff Either way....

Old 11-18-2014, 12:06 AM   #19
fertilizer distrubuter

Rewards Points: 554

Macmike, I will kiss you on your mouth.
Ultrafault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:17 AM   #20
RIP 1959-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrafault View Post
Macmike, I will kiss you on your mouth.

No He don't want that...