Running initiating and signal circuits in the same conduit? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 08-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 228
Default Running initiating and signal circuits in the same conduit?

I'm in Alberta, Canada, and working with a fresh journeyman who insists he learned in school that for addressable systems, the initiating and signal circuits need to be in separate conduits.

I've wired systems in the same conduit before, and they've all passed inspection. Is there a CEC or fire code rule I'm missing?
quarky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2017, 11:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarky2001 View Post
I'm in Alberta, Canada, and working with a fresh journeyman who insists he learned in school that for addressable systems, the initiating and signal circuits need to be in separate conduits.

I've wired systems in the same conduit before, and they've all passed inspection. Is there a CEC or fire code rule I'm missing?
It's been a while since I've been involved in FA work..but with all the wiring rated for the same voltage ; and is all for the same FA system ; we've used same conduits for both.
scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 428

several years ago I researched this question and found nothing in NFPA 70 or 72 that required them to be separated .
farmantenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2017, 04:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25,704

I've never seen an addressable notification circuit. These operate by DC polarity reversal.

So they have no potential to generate cross-talk nor to detect it coming the other way.

Consequently, there is no theoretical reason that they can't share a conduit.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #5
MTW

Rewards Points: 8,098

It's standard practice to run them in the same raceway here, unless dictated otherwise by manufacturers requirements. So far I have never seen that to be the case.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 514

No reason they can't be ran together

Also @telsa Simplex has both addressable strobes and speakers
halfamp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to halfamp For This Useful Post:
telsa (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #7
MTW

Rewards Points: 8,098

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamp View Post

They do, but everyone hates Simplex. In my area, people avoid it whenever possible.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 514

While I'll admit that their service is great in some areas, other areas it is certainly less than perfect. Their product I believe is truly second to none, and just as addressable inputs proved to be the trend of the future, I'm sure other manufacturers will also trend to addressable outputs as they can be much better tailored to local reporting functions (CO alarming, suppression system notification)

I've had more than my share of hair pulled out from dealing with simplex
halfamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,454

I think it's more practical than a specific requirement. I see no reason unless it is easier to run them together. In large buildings, why should I run my pull station wire through all my horn & strobe boxes.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:24 PM   #10

Quote:

Thanks all, that's exactly what I thought. I have no idea where this fellow got the idea they had to be separated.

I've actually installed Simplex addressable strobes - they're pretty awesome, and make the VI an absolute breeze! Our engineer was comfortable with the following procedure: disconnect the loops one by one, and ensure that the appropriate devices disappear. Then, just create a ground fault at the first and last strobe in the loop (assuming Class B), and you're good to go!

A tip if anyone sees these though - pictured is the the culprit, for the love of god DON'T snap the strobe into the speaker portion until you've cleared all your troubles. The only way you change the address after you've done this involves 4 flatheads and a lot of luck, or cutting the back open to get at the DIP switches. I learned this the hard way.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #11

Quote:
While I'll admit that their service is great in some areas, other areas it is certainly less than perfect. Their product I believe is truly second to none, and just as addressable inputs proved to be the trend of the future, I'm sure other manufacturers will also trend to addressable outputs as they can be much better tailored to local reporting functions (CO alarming, suppression system notification)

I've had more than my share of hair pulled out from dealing with simplex
I've had terrible luck with Simplex hardware and their technicians. I'll take Edwards over them any day!