RV generators - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By backstay
  • 1 Post By Bird dog
  • 2 Post By Bird dog

Old 09-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 214
Default RV generators

I purchased a new Champion 3100 watt generator for our camper. Has the usual 30a 120 RV recept, and a 20a 120v regular recept. Instructions say the neutral is isolated from the ground and frame, and attached to the stator in the generator. So the ground tied to the frame would not be grounded, unless a jumper is put in tieing neutral and ground together. Also I called Champion and they said newer camper trailers with GFI recepts in them would not work either. unless the neutral and ground are tied together in generator. Which seems to make sense. So on older campers without GFI recepts, the Ground on the generator could become hot and not trip anything? including trailer grounds. Doesn't seem right. Also there is a ground terminal on the outside of the generator that the book says you can tie to a ground rod. Also doesn't make sense since a ground rod is completely separate from the generator. I do electrical work but first newer generator. ..Any input would help.
(Also it has the inverter built into it for better output at any RPM.)
alselec53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 296

Where to start...tying ground to neutral is called bonding. GFCI receptacles don't need a ground to function. Does the RV panel have the ground and neutral bonded in the service panel? I hope not, yet the GFCI receptacles would work just fine. If you run the generator as the power source to the RV, the neutral/ground need to be bonded somewhere. It would be done at the power pedestal in an RV park. You also should drive a ground rod or two at the generator location, but most people don't.
Bdm likes this.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:33 PM   #3

Default RV generator

Not plugged into a RV park, generator only, is different.
The RV GFI recept will work without a ground but probably will not trip on a ground fault.
What is the ground rod for if its grounded to nothing. The generator is its own power source, separte from any power company, making the ground rod useless. The ground rod has to have a path to the source whatever that path may be. Where am I wrong here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2017, 04:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,058

Quote:
Originally Posted by alselec53 View Post
The RV GFI recept will work without a ground but probably will not trip on a ground fault.
What is the ground rod for if its grounded to nothing. The generator is its own power source, separte from any power company, making the ground rod useless. The ground rod has to have a path to the source whatever that path may be. Where am I wrong here?
The ground rod would be a static electricity drain, so, no one is shocked if they're outside and touch the RV. It's not a return path for the generator or the GFI.
Speedy Petey likes this.

Popcorn munching forum observer
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." Sun Tzu
Bird dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 296

Quote:
Look into two wire receptacles replaced with GFCI receptacles. You don't need a ground to a gfci to function. Try this, remove the ground wire to a gfci receptacl. Then take your Wiggy and touch the hot and the ground you removed. It will trip. If you're brave (dumb) use your fingers.

Last edited by backstay; 09-13-2017 at 06:36 PM.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:26 PM   #6

Default RV Generator

Your right about the GFI tripping without a ground wire, because it is taking another path other than the correct neutral path.
So on the generator the camper GFI should work with even having the separate ground wire only tied to the frame of the generator. That makes sense..
But in the event of the ground becoming hot, I don't see how the breaker on the generator would trip, .. being an isolated neutral.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:29 PM   #7
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,360

Just make a cheater to tie the generator neutral to ground.
RePhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 PM   #8

Default RV Generators

Yes, .. actually, I think they have a jumper in the generator to do that.
Also they have a ground rod terminal, which seems useless with a generator.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:21 PM   #9
Band Member

Rewards Points: 2,500

Quote:
I purchased a new Champion 3100 watt generator for our camper. Has the usual 30a 120 RV recept, and a 20a 120v regular recept. Instructions say the neutral is isolated from the ground and frame, and attached to the stator in the generator. So the ground tied to the frame would not be grounded, unless a jumper is put in tieing neutral and ground together. Also I called Champion and they said newer camper trailers with GFI recepts in them would not work either. unless the neutral and ground are tied together in generator. Which seems to make sense.

So on older campers without GFI recepts, the Ground on the generator could become hot and not trip anything?
Ground on any system could become hot, and not trip the breaker !!!

including trailer grounds. Doesn't seem right. Also there is a ground terminal on the outside of the generator that the book says you can tie to a ground rod.

Also doesn't make sense since a ground rod is completely separate from the generator.
... A ground rod on a floating neutral genset, would put the frame at ground potential ... It's also required if the genset is a separatly derived system

I do electrical work but first newer generator. ..Any input would help.
(Also it has the inverter built into it for better output at any RPM.)
As others have said ... If a gfci is tripping, it's because there is an imbalance between hot and neutral currrent.

There would have to be a neutral to ground bond somewhere in that trailer, and the current is taking 2 paths.... Even thou your generator doesn't have a ground rod... it's sitting on the ground, and the current sees that as a separate path.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:22 PM   #10
Band Member

Quote:
Yes, .. actually, I think they have a jumper in the generator to do that.
Also they have a ground rod terminal, which seems useless with a generator.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #11

Don't listen to which guy?
Old 09-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,058

Quote:
Don't listen to which guy?
It's Emtnut's signature & it's said jokingly.
dronai and emtnut like this.

Popcorn munching forum observer
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." Sun Tzu
Bird dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:25 PM   #13

I know.. lol
Old 09-15-2017, 07:34 PM   #14
Band Member

Quote: