Scrappers - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By sbrn33
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR

Old 08-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 183
Default Scrappers

Does anybody else get these scrap guys just dropping in wanting to buy copper or old vans, the ones we get stop by every couple of months. Always Tex/Mex
ROLLS OF CASH they must travel together because we always get 2 or 3 the same week, when asked they never heard of the guy that was here the day before.
EC2253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,290

Do not, I repeat do not let them into your shop. They will distract you and steel you blind. If you do decide to sell them copper make them stay out side and bring it to them. I wouldn't even do that.
MechanicalDVR and readydave8 like this.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,796

I had two guys show up one day while the owner was out of town.
Motor shop to be exact.
We had tons of burnt wire bailed and a giant pile waiting to be bailed that they keyed in on immediately.
That's when the guy pulled out a big wad of cash and made me an offer for the pile.
Offer without weighing it.

It took some convincing to get them to leave. They wanted to buy old transformers too.
But they did leave and they said they would return when the owner returned.

I called another shop near us and asked if they knew these guys. They did and only had good things to say about them.
When my boss returned, he told me they learn how to judge weight and the only one who looses money with them is us.
They don't need a scale. They estimate it in seconds and have money ion hand within seconds as well.
The other shop sold to them. We decided to stick with our regular scrap yard.

I always thought, now that they saw all that scrap, they would be back at night. Never happened.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2

Regarding them eyeballing the weight of a pile, one would have to assume the scrap yards scale is on the up and up. Not saying that they aren't, but I wouldn't be surprised, and almost expect, them to lean in favor of the house. Same with the tare values assigned to the different containers.

Cost of doing business is the way I look at it and not really upset if that be the case.
drewsserviceco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 183

The ones we get always seem to have a nice new truck, nice clothes and gold jewelry.
EC2253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:56 PM   #6
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 972

The apprentice does a good job when I am fortunate to have him to work with. I give him whatever's left. He likes the extra cash to support his skydiving hobby. He was hungry enough to come take away two old generators with bad rotor/stators and a couple of extra dead motors. Works out well.
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #7
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,600

We have a couple that walk through the shop to the office to ask if we want to sell anything. They know where the scrap wire is kept.

They're good though, they don't ever steal anything. They're just mildly annoying when you have to tell them you don't have anything and to come back another time.
Cow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:33 AM   #8
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

For the few i know, it's not what they scrap, it's the refuse that they can't scrap that becomes the problem via midnight dump runs....~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:53 AM   #9
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,052

Around here there are a lot of junkies and bums that cruise the alleys looking for an open overhead door, they'll wander around hoping there's nobody in sight and see what they can grab, anything they can pawn. If they run into someone, they ask if there's any scrap they can haul off for you - just a cover story for larceny.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:57 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,517

I used to have a spun out tweeker take all of the scrap from demo . Give him a call and all the steel , copper , brass , aluminum etc all gone .

I left a 600 dollar drill on a job and he left me a note with his number . Called him and drill back in my hands . An honest tweeker go figure huh . So He worked out great till he OD and died YO .
catsparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #11
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
Around here there are a lot of junkies and bums that cruise the alleys looking for an open overhead door, they'll wander around hoping there's nobody in sight and see what they can grab, anything they can pawn. If they run into someone, they ask if there's any scrap they can haul off for you - just a cover story for larceny.
That sounds like the NYC type!
splatz likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote