Sealing Traffic Loops - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By wcord
  • 2 Post By sbrn33

Old 08-17-2016, 07:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 563
Default Sealing Traffic Loops

I was wondering what other contractors use to seal the traffic loops they put in concrete or asphalt road surfaces? I know many electricians may have never installed a loop, but some have. For those that do/have, what did you use to seal them?
power is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2016, 08:05 PM   #2
Sparks fly from my finger

Rewards Points: 4,457

We have some loops cut into the concrete for doors. They seal them with the same stuff the concrete guys seal their cuts with.

If the concrete is out we build them with PVC.

Obey your Master.
Jhellwig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jhellwig For This Useful Post:
power (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 09:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,186

Way back when ,when I worked for the DOH we used a 3M calking called Weatherban 101. you had to buy it by the case and in the mid 70's it was like $ 110.00 a case.
Sometimes you can find state DOH specifications on line and it will specify what your state uses. If your city has a traffic engineering department pay them a visit. They may even tell where you can buy what they use.

LC
macmikeman (08-20-2016), power (08-17-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Crapshooter View Post
Way back when ,when I worked for the DOH we used a 3M calking called Weatherban 101. you had to buy it by the case and in the mid 70's it was like $ 110.00 a case.
Sometimes you can find state DOH specifications on line and it will specify what your state uses. If your city has a traffic engineering department pay them a visit. They may even tell where you can buy what they use.

LC
Always built them before the concrete went in, but I remember the equipment installer talking about 3M

did a search, found this
http://its-traffic.com/wp-content/up.../LOOP_5000.pdf
MechanicalDVR likes this.
wcord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wcord For This Useful Post:
power (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 09:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,186

Always put them in after concrete was poured. Then we would blow the water out then calk with the Weatherban 101. After that we would stretch toilet paper over the calking. then open the lane back up. The toilet paper would hold the calking in place until cured. Once cured the traffic would ware the toilet paper off and the calking would stay in place.
Done it several times.

LC
power (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 10:05 PM   #6

You guys have been real helpful.....I'm gonna check this Weatherban stuff out!
Old 08-18-2016, 05:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,022

There are several self leveling options out there that you pour in. Like sealex e-z, better then the caulking method.
power (08-18-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,998

In my city we put them before they put asphalt (about 3-4 inches asphalt over them) , so they are just a basic pvc loop and we fill junctions box with plastic silicone (one that isnt corrosive to copper) . Always worked great till they remove or cut asphalt and scrap the loops so i replace them every 5-10 years
oliquir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:05 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,288

I have always just used black driveway caulk/sealer. Never really thought a second time about it.
power and splatz like this.
sbrn33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:22 AM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,010

I remember the last place I worked getting 5 gal cans of a self leveling sealer from a chemical company called Drummond America but I couldn't find them in a search.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:21 PM   #11

I appreciate all your guys help. Some of the products that were mentioned in this thread don't seem to be available anymore. I liked the comment that sbrn33 made....I too have used driveway caulking....its worked fine.....after all, we're not building a piano here.....
Old 08-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #12
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,283

Weatherban 101 was the specified sealant here too for DOT contracted drive loops.