Separated Garage sub panel - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Helmut
Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 05:36 AM   #1

Default Separated Garage sub panel

Hey guys,

So here's what's going on... I've been a contractor for around 15 years, I barely ever play with electric aside from the basics. Until recently anyway. I just moved into a new place and long story short, the garage for my house needs electric. Here's the deal..
Right now, my garage has a small fuse box with 1 light and 1 outlet off it. Then running out the wall, underground through conduit and into the basement is the connection to the main breaker.
The run from the Main to the Garage is roughly (just under) 200ft. I just upgraded the house main with a 200amp box. Now I want to install the old 100amp box into the garage.

Any recommendations on first, what size wire I should use for the run from the main to the sub panel? [Again, 200ft distance, with below ground conduit, to a 100amp subpanel] and also, any other recommendations or input anyone would like to put in, by all means I'm open to it! I'm trying to get this done asap. Like I said, I know most of what I'm doing, im just getting drained trying to figure out the best way to supply power to the panel.

Thanks ! -- Reaper.
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2016, 05:59 AM   #2
German Spy

Rewards Points: 4,535

Hire and pay an Electrician.
Majewski likes this.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:04 AM   #3

Lol i can do eveything myself, why hire one just to run a length of cable? I just am unsure what the best wiring will be to use given the voltage drop due to distance, etc. I've installed new switches on breakers, grounding rods, basically everything aside from wiring the meter to the main itself. But I appreciate the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2016, 06:06 AM   #4
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

the site has had a few bugs recently. did you happen to see any messages when you registered ?
Old 12-15-2016, 06:09 AM   #5

Aside from a welcome to the site message? Was there something I should be looking for?
Old 12-15-2016, 06:37 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 709

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWoodsReaper View Post
I'm not just a DIY person, im a contractor. I had assumed this was a forums site where other contractors gave tips and the like to others. It's called electrician talk, I didn't think it was just for gossip lol, I assumed it would be a.good place to get a simple answer.

But alright no big deal, literally thousands of other sites. Thanks guys, take care.

This site is for electrical contractors and electricians. It said that on the page you had to fill out to register.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2016, 07:10 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 642

I understand you are a contractor, even one who "barely ever play with electric aside from the basics", but this is still DIY question. This was made very clear when you joined the site.

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Last edited by Speedy Petey; 12-15-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Closed Thread