Service Entrance... a few questions - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 186
Default Service Entrance... a few questions

Hi guys I need your help again for personal research

Q1 - How do we call the neutral cable unshielded actually supports the line conductors and on wish a messenger wire is attached for the neutral?

Q2 - Is a special wire required outside (from the pole to the building)... ABC? I'm guessing steel instead of copper

guitarboyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

Messenger wire.

The middle strand is steel. ACSR stands for Aluminum Conductor Steel Reinforced.
Big Pickles (02-23-2015), nbb (02-24-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

If your talking about that cable you have pictured there, we call it quadplex. 4 conductors hence the "quad". They also make 2 and 3 conductor aerial cables. Called duplex and triplex. The uninsulated wire is commonly used as a grounded conductor. It has aluminum wrapped around a single steel wire for strength. Hope I answered your question? Be safe.
Hired Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 186

If I understand correctly both the unshielded wire that acts as a support for the line wire is called the messenger and so is the short portion of wire clamped to it near the service cap

Q3 - In a 3 phase entrance (for example main entrance connected to a switch gear or a splitter trough) the messenger goes directly to the neutral busbar or lug?

Q4 - How is the messenger sized?
guitarboyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,382

The bare conductor of the overhead wire is the Neutral. It goes to the neutral bar. 'Hired Hand' explains that particular cable.

It is sized by the cable manufacturer... You decide on the amperage of your outbuilding and look it up in the code and order the cable, be it tri or quad plex.

Install your 'point of attachment' below the service head.

I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6

I hope I understand your question correctly, forgive me if not. The short portion of wire I think your talking about which goes into the weather head(service cap) is actually crimped into the bare "messenger" wire your referring to. Just like any typical meter/panel main you have your conductors running from the meter base to the outside of your weatherhead. The bare in most cases will be crimped onto your grounded conductor(neutral) outside the head with the other cables. You or the poco(depending on how nice yours is) will install a bolt on porcelain or rubber knob to your pipe going through the roof about 1 foot under the cap. Then they will attach what's called a "catch off" to the bare conductor which will clamp on to the knob or bolt on clamp. Then all the weight/stress of the cable is on the steel wire in the bare conductor. From there they will probably crimp on to all conductors coming from your mast. Be safe.
Hired Hand is offline   Reply With Quote