Setting up a woodworking shop - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 10:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Setting up a woodworking shop

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and posted a bit about myself in the ""intrductions" section.

I have been working in the custom cabinetry trade for the past 18 years and I'm looking to switch professions. I believe I know what are typically considered the "basics", but my current situation is a bit more involved and requires responses from someone who knows their stuff, especially when it comes to making relay switches work with my machinery/dust collector.

My wife and I just purchased a new home, about 3,500 sq ft that we are moving into next month. The bozo homeowner decided that he was going to run the electircal wiring for the pool table light using "lamp cord" To make things worse, he ran all of the plug in outlets in the basement using extension cord. Needless to say, that all needs to be fixed. That part I can handle.

Here is the deal:

We currently have 200 amp service with a sub-panel and there are only a total of 2 spots left. Because of some of my woodworking machinery being 220, that takes up two slots right there and I need a minimum of 6 open slots. I will be running condiuit from the existing panel, across the basement and to the garage to another sub-panel. which is where I will have the breakers for the garage/shop. Connected to this will be at least 1 relay switch so when I kick on let say my table saw, the dust collector will kick on at the same time. Both my table saw and dust collector require 220. I want to also add a disconnect switch at my table saw too. How do I determine which relay switch and what brand to go with, along with learning how to wire it? We are going to hire an electriction to change out the panel from 200 to 400 amp. Any ballpark figures of what to expect for just changing out the panel and marking the existing electrical properly? In the garage, I will also be adding 8 foot magnetic ballast shop lights too. I know there is a rule of thumb to go by in regard to how many lights you can add to either a 15 or 20 amp breaker. With this, I'm searching for an explosion proof motor/fan and explosion proof lights to go into a spray booth that I will be making. I had a commerical grade spray booth in he past, but considering that I'm now doing this as a hobby and it's out of my home, I don't see a point in spending the money on that. My total work space will be about 30'x33'. A 3 car garage and almost tandem deep.

With all of the different machinery I have, what suggestions do you all have as a first step to this process? There is already conduit running to the garage, but it's for regular outlets. Should I run a 1" pipe from the new box out to the garage so I can run more wires in one shot or do say two 3/4" pipes? I have a pretty decent distance to go from the panel to the garage, so would you recommend 10 gauge wire from one panel to the next?

Thank you ahead of time

Mike
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2007, 11:01 PM   #2
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
Closed Thread