Shop bathroom receptacle? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By flyboy

Old 05-06-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
Russian Bot

Rewards Points: 3,701
Default Shop bathroom receptacle?

Say a auto mechanics shop bathroom, not open to the public.

Landscaper shop bathroom, for employees...ect

Are you required to put a receptacle in there?

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 01:07 PM   #2
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 15,423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Say a auto mechanics shop bathroom, not open to the public.

Landscaper shop bathroom, for employees...ect

Are you required to put a receptacle in there?
Depends on your code cycle. If up to date then yes, bathroom receptacles are now required 2017 NEC to be gfi protected, dwellings and non dwellings.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #3
Russian Bot

Rewards Points: 3,701

oh, so in the 2017 cycle, they now require receptacles in non dwelling bathrooms?
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,601

The only rule is that if you do install an outlet it must be GFCI protected. It doesn't have to be 20A or dedicated, or exist in the first place.

I don't know of any change for the 2017.
Helmut (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 03:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
The only rule is that if you do install an outlet it must be GFCI protected. It doesn't have to be 20A or dedicated, or exist in the first place.

I don't know of any change for the 2017.
Hax is right, no need to put one in there and if you do just throw in a GFCI rec on any circuit you want.
Is hax smarter than Mikey?
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:12 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,601

Let me clarify. I am not saying that there is definitely no change for 2017. Just that I haven't seen one.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:35 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 14

No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DashDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:54 PM   #8
Senile Member

Are we sure? I thought it was one of the bullet points in the update code class I just sat thru for the 17 cycle. I admit I COULD be wrong, We are still on the 2008 code. Still. I don't even know why they make us go to code update classes. We are still on the 2008 code.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #9
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 3,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
Are we sure? I thought it was one of the bullet points in the update code class I just sat thru for the 17 cycle. I admit I COULD be wrong, We are still on the 2008 code. Still. I don't even know why they make us go to code update classes. We are still on the 2008 code.
YES

So if you're on the 2008 code why are you concerned about it? As of 2008, 2011, 2014 and 2017 there is no requirement for a receptacle in a commercial bathroom.

See 210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets.

See 210.52 (A) General Provisions. Again, the code speaks to and uses the term "dwelling units"

Dwelling Unit. A single unit, providing complete and independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for sleeping, cooking, and sanitation.

Guest Room and Guest Suites fall under the definition of Dwelling Unit and by definition a receptacle would be required in the bathroom of those occupancies.

No where in the 2017 NEC Handbook (Article 210 or anywhere else) can I find an exception or note that requires a receptacle be installed in a non dwelling unit bathroom.
sbrn33 likes this.

Last edited by flyboy; 05-15-2019 at 12:35 PM.
flyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #10
Senile Member

[QUOTE=flyboy;5196484]So if you're on the 2008 code why are you concerned about it? As of 2008, 2011, 2014 and 2017 there is no requirement for a receptacle in a commercial bathroom.

See 210.52 (A) General Provisions. Again, the code speaks to and uses the term "dwelling units"

Dwelling Unit. A single unit, providing complete and independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for sleeping, cooking, and sanitation.

Guest Room and Guest Suites fall under the definition of Dwelling Unit and by definition a receptacle would be required in the bathroom of those occupancies.

No where in the 2017 NEC Handbook (Article 210) can I find an exception or note that requires a receptacle be installed in a non dwelling unit bathroom.[/QUOTE

Zip your flyboy up. I admitted I might be wrong. I sat thru a four hour code upgrade class. I yawned a whole lot. Guess I screwed up. I sat thru a timeshare seminar once too. Didn't buy a timeshare. Got a free dinner at a hotel and a round of golf though.......
Old 05-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #11
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 3,318

[quote=macmikeman;5196490]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
So if you're on the 2008 code why are you concerned about it? As of 2008, 2011, 2014 and 2017 there is no requirement for a receptacle in a commercial bathroom.

No where in the 2017 NEC Handbook (Article 210) can I find an exception or note that requires a receptacle be installed in a non dwelling unit bathroom.[/QUOTE

Zip your flyboy up. I admitted I might be wrong. I sat thru a four hour code upgrade class. I yawned a whole lot. Guess I screwed up. I sat thru a timeshare seminar once too. Didn't buy a timeshare. Got a free dinner at a hotel and a round of golf though.......
Zip my flyboy up?
flyboy is online now   Reply With Quote