Shot in the dark regarding pipe routing - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By btharmy2
  • 1 Post By wildleg

Old 08-10-2017, 06:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 228
Default Shot in the dark regarding pipe routing

Don't know if anyone will have any bright ideas, but I'm sure this problem has been encountered by people here before.

I'm doing a commercial building, but we're only doing the base build - fire alarm, emergency lighting, and powering the roof top units. Then the tenant shows up and builds whatever else they want.

For the RTUs, I have to get 5 pipes out of the electrical room (basement) and onto the ceiling of the 2nd floor, so there are two slabs to bust through. Here's the problem. Because it's only a base build, we only really have exterior walls (and a couple very small interior walls, none big enough to fit five 1" emt pipe into) to run pipe through, which is fine, but it seems that at the top and bottom basically every wall on the 1st floor, there's a giant steel I-beam at the bottom of it, making it impossible to get a pipe through it.

How do you find routes in this sort of place?
quarky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Run them exposed up the wall of the electrical, mechanical or janitor closet on each floor.
MechanicalDVR and telsa like this.
btharmy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,274

Keep them close to columns. They will box around them later.
cabletie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2017, 11:20 PM   #4
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,010

Like cabletie said I'd look to run up along side a column.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 8,942

Brian said dryer duct was the conduit... Being super flexible it should help out some!

I like Cabletie's suggestion....
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:50 AM   #6
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,291

Smart fellers just run ser cable up the columns and poke thru the middle of the H. I seen drywallers using spray on 3M adhesive to install bull nose and corner bead , so maybe you could use the same for vertical supports every 4-1/2 feet....
Old 08-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 228

Thanks for the advice - sadly there are no electrical/janitors closets besides the main electrical room, but I really like the column idea. They're going for a future "industrial" look in the final building, so they're not boxing out the columns (I know, electrical pipe would add to that decor nicely, but whatever...), but I'm definitely keeping that idea under my hat, thanks!

We found two crappy non-structural walls we're going to run through though. It involves a bit of sneaky work with pull elbows.
quarky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:01 PM   #8
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarky2001 View Post
Thanks for the advice - sadly there are no electrical/janitors closets besides the main electrical room, but I really like the column idea. They're going for a future "industrial" look in the final building, so they're not boxing out the columns (I know, electrical pipe would add to that decor nicely, but whatever...), but I'm definitely keeping that idea under my hat, thanks!

We found two crappy non-structural walls we're going to run through though. It involves a bit of sneaky work with pull elbows.
Why try to hide it if they are going for the industrial look?

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:08 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,234

....run up the wall that houses the stairwell, that wall remains the same for the life of the building
360max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:29 PM   #10
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

your profile says you are an apprentice, so I am answering the post with that in mind.

when you run into a wall and have no plan showing how something is to be installed, you have to think of a few things.
1) how much does what you propose to do going to cost ?
2) is your installation practical ?
3) what does the client want ?
4) what do the plans and specs indicate ?
5) what did your company include in the bid for this item ?

these questions should always run through your mind when you are planning some work. If you install a gold plated solution for something that your company estimated based on a dime store budget, you are not doing anyone, including yourself, any favors.

Installing pulling ells and hard to install pull runs because someone didn't provide a place for the pipework is also not necessarily the best solution.

Sometimes these type of things come up and a best fit solution based on the estimate/bid, the plans, and a compromise needs to be worked out with the powers that be, whether that is onsite jobsite management or above.

just my 02
B-Nabs likes this.