Which size Core bit for octagon box - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By RePhase277
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By Navyguy
  • 5 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By 99cents
  • 1 Post By 99cents

Old 05-30-2017, 09:22 AM   #1
NDC

Rewards Points: 2,342
Default Which size Core bit for octagon box

I have been using a 1/8 bit to drill into brick, outlining the box with small holes with great success.
Now I've been asked to add additional octagon boxes for security lighting to the side of some row townhouses. I have to add 8 in total.

Do you guys normally use 4" or 4-1/4" for core bits to fit octagon boxes?

I know 4-1/8" is perfect for fitting an octagon into drywall but with the vibration of the bigger drill, I'm wondering if a 4" core bit will actually make a better fitting hole.
NDC is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 13,511

Go 4 1/4. The fixture will cover it up. Verify first so you can sleep at night .
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:38 AM   #3
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,360

Trace the box, score it with a diamond blade angle grinder, smash it with a hammer.
telsa likes this.
RePhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 900

If you want to be a tightwad, the 4" bit is also good for 3.5" conduit (rigid and EMT - both same size! look it up if you don't believe me )

I don't know if you'd ever care about that, it would be of value for me. I don't work on big service laterals or etc. but I use that for wall and floor penetrations for big bundles of cable.

Of course if you have to do octagon boxes again maybe you'd rather have the exact right bit.

How much slop you'll get when drilling really depends on the concrete, and the bit. A dry diamond core bit in block makes a nice clean hole in seconds, no slop. A percussion core bit in mushy basement concrete with big aggregate is sloppy.

If you mark your spot and make 3/8" holes at the corners before you drill with the 4" bit, I bet you could get a really perfect fit.

If you don't get a perfect fit, you could scrap one octagon box, turn it over and smash it face first into the hole with a hammer. Putting square pegs in round holes is the mark of a man. (Some dweeb came up with a SDS hammer bit that works this way, drives a box shaped bit through the concrete.)
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 2,846

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
If you want to be a tightwad, the 4" bit is also good for 3.5" conduit (rigid and EMT - both same size! look it up if you don't believe me )

I don't know if you'd ever care about that, it would be of value for me. I don't work on big service laterals or etc. but I use that for wall and floor penetrations for big bundles of cable.

Of course if you have to do octagon boxes again maybe you'd rather have the exact right bit.

How much slop you'll get when drilling really depends on the concrete, and the bit. A dry diamond core bit in block makes a nice clean hole in seconds, no slop. A percussion core bit in mushy basement concrete with big aggregate is sloppy.

If you mark your spot and make 3/8" holes at the corners before you drill with the 4" bit, I bet you could get a really perfect fit.

If you don't get a perfect fit, you could scrap one octagon box, turn it over and smash it face first into the hole with a hammer. Putting square pegs in round holes is the mark of a man. (Some dweeb came up with a SDS hammer bit that works this way, drives a box shaped bit through the concrete.)
Normally I see eye to eye with you but the bit for box hole si think is great if you need to do a series of them on one job, it would save time and make a good fitting recess.

Would I buy it for an every now and then single hole, nope!
splatz likes this.

I've been known to make snowflakes whine!
Posts may contain sarcasm and guttural humor!
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MechanicalDVR For This Useful Post:
splatz (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 01:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,960

Rent a SDS hammer drill with a 4" bit. I would never waste my time with a small bit and outlining anything. If you are worried about the bit drifting first, drill a 1/4" pilot hole in the centre and use that for the core pilot bit.

It will be slightly larger then the box, which then you can mortar in place; done it a million times (well maybe not a million times, but enough that it feels like a million).

Cheers
John
MechanicalDVR likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 26,374

I'd never tool up for such a rare penetration.

I'd go with a right-angle grinder -- which is nearly a universal tool -- and which I can control like a wand.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:27 PM   #8
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 17,741

If it is likely to be exposed finished work, I roto zip it using a tile bit. If it is going to get plastered over with stoe or something like that then I use a diamond blade in my mini grinder and cut a ton of slice cuts and break those out with a screwdriver and hammer after. Then I mix up some fast healing cement mixed with plaster of paris , or just by quickcrete and seal it all in if it needs a bandaid before the finish guys get to it.
Drudge Report
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:31 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,089

There is nothing wrong with making the hole bigger.

Drill the hole with a 4 1/4" bit.
Tapcon the box to the brick or throw a spacer behind it and screw into the sheathing behind the box.
Install the light with the canopy that will cover it all.
Profit.
Sit down and eat your bacon sammie while watching the other guys play around with rotozips and angle grinders.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 02:34 PM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard

With all due respect to you guys that like the grinders and that type thing, those methods really sound labor intensive and time consuming.

How much depth can you get off an angle grinder? Maybe 1 1/8" max?

Getting paid by the hour is one thing but if it was my dime I'd use the core bit I have or rent the right size.

In soft brick I've drilled out the majority with the largest corebit possible and then a chisel in a demo hammer to clean the edges up.
AK_sparky likes this.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:25 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 26,374

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
With all due respect to you guys that like the grinders and that type thing, those methods really sound labor intensive and time consuming.

How much depth can you get off an angle grinder? Maybe 1 1/8" max?

Getting paid by the hour is one thing but if it was my dime I'd use the core bit I have or rent the right size.

In soft brick I've drilled out the majority with the largest corebit possible and then a chisel in a demo hammer to clean the edges up.
I can't remember the last time I faced something like this.

Around here, this would be a very odd-ball task.

I'd shift gears, and attitude, if I ran into this all the time.

I'm insanely over-tooled as it is.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #12
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

I like diamond bits and core drills, because of the smooth cut. But there is always a right tool and a wrong one for the job. There's also a million kinds of brick, concrete, stucco, marble, etc. A hard glazed brick can chip or shatter if you use a hammer drill. Whatever works quicker, cuts fast, does not damage the finish, and pays for itself quickly is the tool I'd use.

your results may vary
Old 05-30-2017, 06:44 PM   #13
Registered Member

The grinder just scores the surface so the other brick doesn't chip. Once it's scored either chisel it with a hammer drill, or smash it with an American made Estwing. I do it all the time, maybe twice a month. Someone always wants outlets and lights added on brick exterior.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:22 PM   #14
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePhase277 View Post
The grinder just scores the surface so the other brick doesn't chip. Once it's scored either chisel it with a hammer drill, or smash it with an American made Estwing. I do it all the time, maybe twice a month. Someone always wants outlets and lights added on brick exterior.
Get er done!

Old 05-30-2017, 10:19 PM   #15
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Estwings are durn good hammers.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:06 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
Estwings are durn good hammers.
I don't think there are other hammers. Anything but an Estwing might as well be a rock tied to a stick.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #17
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
I don't think there are other hammers. Anything but an Estwing might as well be a rock tied to a stick.
And made in the USA. When I buy an Estwing, I support my American brothers, sisters and everything in between .
RePhase277 likes this.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:01 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
And made in the USA. When I buy an Estwing, I support my American brothers, sisters and everything in between .
And we know you had choices, and you chose us.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:06 AM   #19
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
And we know you had choices, and you chose us.
Keep this up and you're going to bring a tear to my eye .
RePhase277 likes this.