Smoking - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 06-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 3,796
Default Smoking

Does it seem like as many apprentices are smoking as did when you were an apprentice?

I really thought todays guys and girls would be wiser?

At my kids colleges the percentages seem smaller , is it an further education thing?

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,018

Haha funny you say that...I started smoking when I was second year, what a stupid mistake. I would have to say that about 60-70 percent of electricians I have worked with smoke.
cdnelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

lots of em smoke. and its GOT to be marlboro. you aint cool if it aint marlboro. how much does a pack cost these days ?
paul d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2009, 08:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 922

Hmmm...I would say I am seeing less guys smoking that 10-15 years ago. Definitely less than 20 years ago.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

brian, just curious; why did you put this in the " union " sub-forum ?
paul d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul d. View Post
brian, just curious; why did you put this in the " union " sub-forum ?
No particular reason, should actually have been in the off topic.

I have tried everything to get my men to quit, some quit and stuck with it, some quit and went back, others did nothing with the offer.

One guy quit for 5 years and started back, said he thought about cigarettes every day.

Last edited by brian john; 06-14-2009 at 08:47 PM.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

-moved-
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 410

I had to let I good guy go last year because he would not stop smoking in no smoking zones. Not a apprentice but a 55 year old.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
Zen Student

Rewards Points: 250

Marlboro's cost about 7.45 here in the DC area...
I've been smoking since i was like 15....i want to quit...but it's really hard man. I have heard about Chantix or whatever, but i don't want to take a pill for anything. I don't even take tylenol, or aspirin for a headache...
Anyway...Maybe if i get hooked up with a good family doctor i will get on the patch or something...i've heard smoking cessation is covered by my insurance at 100%...i don't know if it's true....we'll see.

Brian, did you ever smoke in your life?
Buddha In Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
Wire Ninja

I had a helper one time who'd light up the split second he'd get out of the truck. Sometimes he'd barely wait for the truck to completely stop. The final straw was a time we rolled up on a service call. Nice house, immaculate landscaping. He fired one up and sucked on it like nobody's business while he was getting his bags on. As we walked up to the front door, the homeowner already had the front door open and was standing just on the other side of the storm door, waiting to open it for us. About 6 feet from the front door, he took the cigarette out of his mouth and flicked it into the front yard, in full view of the homeowner. I couldn't believe it. I asked him, "Were you raised in an orphanage"? I made him go pick up his butt and sit in the truck while I did the call. He was gone after that.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,464

June 14,Flag Day was my quit day,8 years ago.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #12
Zen Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
I had a helper one time who'd light up the split second he'd get out of the truck. Sometimes he'd barely wait for the truck to completely stop. The final straw was a time we rolled up on a service call. Nice house, immaculate landscaping. He fired one up and sucked on it like nobody's business while he was getting his bags on. As we walked up to the front door, the homeowner already had the front door open and was standing just on the other side of the storm door, waiting to open it for us. About 6 feet from the front door, he took the cigarette out of his mouth and flicked it into the front yard, in full view of the homeowner. I couldn't believe it. I asked him, "Were you raised in an orphanage"? I made him go pick up his butt and sit in the truck while I did the call. He was gone after that.

Assholes like that are the reason i don't smoke at work except for lunch. I have seen dudes take three or four smoke breaks a day, and barely get anything done. I have seen it worse than that too...so i never take smoke breaks. To me, your addictions are incidental and if they interfere with your job performance, you aren't responsible enough to have that addiction. In other words, if you can't control yourself enough to do your job without stopping every damn fifteen minutes to smoke, than you shouldn't be there.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
Professional Nit Picker

Rewards Points: 2,280

I see more younger people smoking now then before, too bad. It is a really tough habit to kick. I know !
I used to smoke. I quit once for 2 years then started again. smoked for another 7 years,then decided it was time to quit for good.
The biggest thing to quitting is , you have to get it in your head that your quitting for good. Quitting is 75% mental and 25% physical.
If you do not have your head wrapped around the idea of quitting you won't.
you can't ween yourself off either. Just quit cold turkey.
It took me about 6 months to get to it in my head that I was going to quit for good. I had no date set. I used no pills, no patches, or no gum, just pure will power and peppermint lifesavers
I quit in the middle of a work day. I smoked a cigarette and tossed the rest of the pack away. Haven't smoked one since. It's been 6 years
I did gain some serious weight ,but I have since lost most of it.
manchestersparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha In Babylon View Post
Marlboro's cost about 7.45 here in the DC area...
I've been smoking since i was like 15....i want to quit...but it's really hard man. I have heard about Chantix or whatever, but i don't want to take a pill for anything. I don't even take tylenol, or aspirin for a headache...
Anyway...Maybe if i get hooked up with a good family doctor i will get on the patch or something...i've heard smoking cessation is covered by my insurance at 100%...i don't know if it's true....we'll see.

Brian, did you ever smoke in your life?
Started smoking at age 14 quit at 26. I am a quitter at heart.

I just threw them away one day.

I quit drinking
drugs
Cigarettes
caffeine
meat

And I am NO FUN TO HANG WITH

I told my guys to do a 3 prong approach, the patch, acupuncture and hypnotism, or any combination of any 3 available and I would pay for them. At one time I offered a $1.00 raise but I caught 2 of the 3 that took the offer lying and cheating.

In Canada they were 10.50 Canadian dollars

I think children of smokers are more likely to smoke a good reason to quit if you are a parent.

Also last week the FDA was given authority over cigarettes. Not sure what that will mean.

Last edited by brian john; 06-14-2009 at 09:20 PM.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #15
Zen Student

no drugs...fine. no smokes...fine...no beer....uh what?......no meat...fine by me....
no COFFEE???? you are a mad man.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
no drugs...fine. no smokes...fine...no beer....uh what?......no meat...fine by me....
no COFFEE???? you are a mad man.

NO BEER, NO COFFEE!!!!
cdnelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #17
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

More than once I've heard of smokers referred to as 'Eighty-Five Percenters".
Old 06-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #18
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnelectrician View Post
NO BEER, NO COFFEE!!!!
Seems like that makes sense. You're paying double for one to counteract the other. Beer is a depressant and coffee is a stimulant. Do without either one, and you stay "normal".
Old 06-14-2009, 10:19 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 2,012

Quote:
Assholes like that are the reason i don't smoke at work except for lunch. I have seen dudes take three or four smoke breaks a day, and barely get anything done. I have seen it worse than that too...so i never take smoke breaks. To me, your addictions are incidental and if they interfere with your job performance, you aren't responsible enough to have that addiction. In other words, if you can't control yourself enough to do your job without stopping every damn fifteen minutes to smoke, than you shouldn't be there.

When I'm on the job,I'm on the job.

My big down fall is the travel, Smoken' double. I gotta find a way to occupy myself during those long trips.
leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:19 PM   #20
Zen Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
More than once I've heard of smokers referred to as 'Eighty-Five Percenters".
You know, i haven't heard smokers referred to like that, but having it put to me that way makes me want to quit even more. I do everything i can to stay out of that category as it is...