So I get a call from a local dentist office.... - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By A Little Short
  • 1 Post By matt1124
  • 1 Post By macmikeman

Old 07-02-2018, 06:20 PM   #1
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,267
Default So I get a call from a local dentist office....

They are having breaker tripping problems. Could I come over and have a look?

That was two months ago. What I found is they more or less just moved a dental clinic into an existing office / storefront space and just ran extension cords and plug in strips and set up 5 or 6 little areas with dental chairs, PortableDrill center appliances, portable water and suction appliances, portable x-ray machine, and some laptops, and the reception desk with a couple more computers, and the back area with a server and some other gear plugged in . It's all on outlets built into the concrete block wall spaced ten feet apart- total 4 of them. The bolt on breaker serving all 4 outlets was cooked, and so was the bolted bus it was bolted to. I was the guy who first wired those 4 outlets. I remember it. It was about 28 years ago. It was for a Little Caesars Pizza sit down lobby, that pizza joint has been gone long time ago and at least three other tenants have used the same space since. Little Caesars needed only one circuit for the lobby outlets. Are dentists that ignorant? I stuck my clamp on when they were working on two patients out of 4 chairs that day and saw 35 amps. They were running 4 chairs and the reception desk. So anyway I moved the wire to another breaker space as a temp fix and returned next day with a typed out proposal. Two months go by, and finally they called me back in last Friday cause the new breaker is tripping now......... I end up running 4 new circuits with emt, insulated ground, and gfi outlets , one for each chair. The existing outlets didn't even have any gfi protection on them, and the "dentists" were drilling and watering teeth with zero gfi installed prior to now. So after today they also have a brand new bolt on BAB gfi breaker for the existing circuit that they were overloading. Will they shortly be mixing up where to plug in which appliances to which outlets and start tripping the one gfi breaker I installed for the existing flush old lobby outlets? You bet they will.........

I know Sabrina, I know..... Too long , didn't read.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,181

Well at least they called you back and you you got paid, that's more than most these days.
samgregger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421

Um. Nice job?
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
MTW

Rewards Points: 8,312

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
Will they shortly be mixing up where to plug in which appliances to which outlets and start tripping the one gfi breaker I installed for the existing flush old lobby outlets? You bet they will.........
That's ok, Trump will take care of that for you.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:23 PM   #5
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,654

Should have just put a 30 in it. That would have fixed it.........well, that's what Uncle Bob said........
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 860

I know why they called you!
They looked in the yellow pages and saw you listed under "Dentist/Orthodontist"
macmikeman likes this.

A Little Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:02 AM   #7
Magic Smoke Remover

Rewards Points: 1,966

That's BS, you should have warrantied it. You put it in originally. Should have done a better job bolting her down, not the customers problem.

J/K

That dental operation sounds shady as ****. No way I'd sit down in a big lobby with a bunch of stingers connecting all the equipment and let them drill on me.
Otterinaround likes this.
matt1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:29 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 38
Default what is it about the medical field?

Well...
Coulda been worse....

Ever had an Operating Room lose its pixies?

Freaked the living daylights out of me!!!

It was a LOOOONG procedure and doing a "Whipple"(yeah if you google it you get how to due a Rue and Y stomach bypass).... BAD news if you gotta get one of those....

EVERYTHING went down... cautery(electric cauterising blade), respirator (that is, after the UPS died), and the lights...

Talk about getting back to the 1800's.

Lucky we had a transport heart rate monitor!

I wonder if any patients felt "that DIFFERENT" tingly when they got a shot of water from the drill (spiced with a few electrons)?
Otterinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:34 AM   #9
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Short View Post
I know why they called you!
They looked in the yellow pages and saw you listed under "Dentist/Orthodontist"
Hey! I forgot all about that angle........ LOL.....
Old 07-03-2018, 01:43 AM   #10
Senile Member

Should I re-open my shop and put these guys out of business? It would be in the public's best interest I think.........
Otterinaround likes this.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:45 AM   #11

Default Welp that would be great!

Quote:
Should I re-open my shop and put these guys out of business? It would be in the public's best interest I think.........
If that was directed at my post....
It happened in another country.... in a different life....
where the power...
generators... and all sorts of wonderful.... other OTHER issues can crop up.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:48 AM   #12
Senile Member

You must be new around here. ..... .. .
Old 07-03-2018, 04:29 AM   #13

Default yup!

Quote:
You must be new around here. ..... .. .
VERY new....
apologies if I unintentionally offended or misunderstood.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:15 AM   #14
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,022

@MikeMan, this sounds like your kind of place. I like the sound of it, I'd like to open up something like this. You should put in more receptacles than you think, they will probably start doing haircuts too, you don't want the hair dryers blowing breakers. You should ask if you put in a receptacle for yourself and take care of things, maybe they'll let you set up a chair. See if there's room for one for me if you have a chance.

Last edited by splatz; 07-03-2018 at 05:18 AM.
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:45 AM   #15
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,673

This is unusual. Dentists and doctors are usually golden. I have a couple of clinics and an optometrist I do work for and they're about the only customers I can charge at mac rate . And they like to git 'er dun.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:40 AM   #16
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,146

There is a trend to open an office and have visiting dentists rotate through to keep the chairs busy.
Dental insurance programs.
I suspect a " manager" setup the space, and booked clients and dentists.

I wonder how dangerous it was for us in the 60s without GFCIs.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote