Splicing fan wires - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By B-Nabs
  • 3 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 2 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 5 Post By splatz
  • 3 Post By Signal1
  • 1 Post By CoolWill
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By zac

Old 06-22-2019, 01:33 PM   #1
zac

Rewards Points: 820
Default Splicing fan wires

Quick question concerning splicing. I have to extend some fan wires and was wondering the best method of the two:
A. Butt splice (insulated)
B. Heat shrink
C. Both?
This should be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zac is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #2
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 466

Personally I would do solder and heat shrink.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
micromind likes this.
zac (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #3
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,010

A. What type fan are you talking?

B. What environment are the wires located in?

C. What wire size / amp draw are you talking?
Bird dog, MikeFL and Max C. like this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
zac

A. Residential.
B. Rod.
C. Probably 1/2 amp.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #5
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
A. Residential.
B. Rod.
C. Probably 1/2 amp.
Insulated butt splice.
sbrn33 and Max C. like this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MechanicalDVR For This Useful Post:
zac (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #6
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,054

A western union splice, soldered and insulated with heat shrink, is super secure and strong but it's overkill IMO in this case. If it had to be bomb proof it's a good way to go. If was low voltage you could splice legally without solder and it would be great.

The insulated stakon type butt splices are great with stranded wire but so-so with solid wire. In this case I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If it's solid wire, I'd take an uninsulated butt splice and heat shrink over the insulated type. You can crimp these down harder and deform the solid wire some so it grips better.
Insulated, they aren't made to crimp down super hard, the die is made so the tool bottoms out before you mangle the insulation. It's very easy to heat shrink over the uninsulated.

Stagger the butt splices so they don't overlap, and use three pieces of shrink tube, two small pieces over each butt splice then a bigger piece over both. I usually use the marine type with glue inside because why not.
zac (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #7
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,757

I wish Wago would make an inline levernut, similar to the Ideal Spliceline inline connectors.

I like the Splicelines for solid but I don't think smaller stranded wire like fan wiring pushes in right.

Name:  f9bb49208d6f77cd21ecaa735d1c9fb8.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  12.7 KB

In your situation I would just use butt splice crimps with 2" wide tape around it.
zac (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #8
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 2,138

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
A western union splice, soldered and insulated with heat shrink, is super secure and strong but it's overkill IMO in this case. If it had to be bomb proof it's a good way to go. If was low voltage you could splice legally without solder and it would be great.

The insulated stakon type butt splices are great with stranded wire but so-so with solid wire. In this case I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If it's solid wire, I'd take an uninsulated butt splice and heat shrink over the insulated type. You can crimp these down harder and deform the solid wire some so it grips better.
Insulated, they aren't made to crimp down super hard, the die is made so the tool bottoms out before you mangle the insulation. It's very easy to heat shrink over the uninsulated.

Stagger the butt splices so they don't overlap, and use three pieces of shrink tube, two small pieces over each butt splice then a bigger piece over both. I usually use the marine type with glue inside because why not.
The wire will break before that comes apart.
micromind, B-Nabs and splatz like this.
Signal1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:11 PM   #9
Mensa Player

To piggyback onto zac's question, what do you do when you need to lower a chandelier and there is not enough wire, and you can't open it up to run a new wire?
Old 06-22-2019, 06:46 PM   #10
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
To piggyback onto zac's question, what do you do when you need to lower a chandelier and there is not enough wire, and you can't open it up to run a new wire?
I guess there's really only two options there, splice onto the end of the original wire and hope nobody really looks at it, or, cut the wire off with just a couple inches at the top, and splice on new wire as I described, with the big shrink tube right up to the base.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:16 PM   #11
zac

Quote:
I've seen one once. The chandelier had a sleeve that went around the chain and wire. To lengthen the chain the wire needed to be spliced. The sleeve covered the whole length of the chain like a sock so the splice wasn't scene.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:20 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,378

You guys crack me up. Solder and heat shrink for a ceiling fan Take that nonsense back to the desk-tricians over at Holt's.
JoeSparky likes this.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:27 AM   #13
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
I've seen one once. The chandelier had a sleeve that went around the chain and wire. To lengthen the chain the wire needed to be spliced. The sleeve covered the whole length of the chain like a sock so the splice wasn't scene.
I've never done it, but I asked a friend who said that he has used those little blue wirenuts with a wrap of white tape and you could only see them if you were looking for them.

This is another place where the Splicelines would work well since they are straight-thru and clear, but I can't imagine that little stranded wire would push in well.

I really gotta talk to Wago, I want a straight thru levernut connector like I mentioned here as well as a 4-port levernut in a square configuration instead of inline. For all the promotion of their product that I'e done, they owe me
JoeSparky likes this.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:43 AM   #14
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,677

Quote:
I've never done it, but I asked a friend who said that he has used those little blue wirenuts with a wrap of white tape and you could only see them if you were looking for them.

This is another place where the Splicelines would work well since they are straight-thru and clear, but I can't imagine that little stranded wire would push in well.

I really gotta talk to Wago, I want a straight thru levernut connector like I mentioned here as well as a 4-port levernut in a square configuration instead of inline. For all the promotion of their product that I'e done, they owe me
I’m sure they’ll get right on that .
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:56 AM   #15
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 2,138

Quote:
For all the promotion of their product that I'e done, they owe me
Made me a customer.
Signal1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:06 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 4,036

Residential or commercial / industrial?

In some resi ceiling fan I would not even bother with a spice, I would just marrette some wire and be done with it.

If it was on a high velocity fan say in a barn or heat exchanger, I would be more inclined to solder and heat shrink due to the potential vibration issues.

If it was something that had to be changed out quickly or often, I might actually go with some sort of terminal block arrangement.

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Navyguy For This Useful Post:
zac (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #17
zac

I just inline spliced in with insulated butt splices and wrapped scotch 33 around it.
The fan is properly bonded so all should be good. Thanks guys.

samgregger likes this.