Star/delta Motor Fault - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Star/delta Motor Fault

just connected a star/delta motor up ,checked all motor connections and starter box , the motor is running up on star then when changes over onto delta then the motor stops.Any ideas?Maybe delta windings faulty.
andyd1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andyd1970 For This Useful Post:
theinzan (01-21-2013)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

[quote=andyd1970 just connected a star/delta motor up ,checked all motor connections and starter box , the motor is running up on star then when changes over onto delta then the motor stops.Any ideas?Maybe delta windings faulty. Well tell me how many conductors are going to that motor 3 or 6 wires there is no star /delta seperate windings ,they are just changed star to a delta same windings by contactors in your starter if your wired correctly then its your motor or maybe your overloads the wrong size ? check your taps in the motor to the motors name plate it has a diagram 123 456 . start time to the run time should only be a one second click is it longer than that ? best to ya

Last edited by nick; 02-22-2009 at 12:14 PM.
nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,700

I use to service these units one of the most common issues is transition from start to run, if there is an overlap real issues happen fast.

Is this open or closed transition?

Check timing, check all aux contacts operate continuity check open closed, check mechanical interlocks.

Disconnect the line and load (once the unit is repaired) energize the secondary of the control transformer and then you can safely watch the operation safely.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,842

This one of the most common calls I get regarding wye/delta starting. If it runs in the wye configuration the motor is good.

The problem lies in your connections, or contactors. Since it stops when it transfers to delta, I would make sure the two delta contactors are closing and making the circuit. Secondly, if the motor growls or tries to run in the opposite direction while going into delta, this is also a byproduct of mis-wiring and or contactor failure.

Do you have 6 or 12 leads? If you have 9, you have the wrong motor.

Assuming you have six leads try this out.
Swap leads 1&5 or 2&6 or 3&4. Do this swap one at a time. If the motor then tries to run in delta, but makes a racket or tries to reverse, swap 2 line leads.

I am sorry this is a trial and error type troubleshooting process. But I know of no other way to be sure. You cannot trust connecting 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 ect...

Last resort is to call your local motor shop. However, they will perform similar steps that I have described in your facility. It must be done on site, not the motor shop.
Search this forum for member (micromind). He's real sharp on motors. Send him a PM.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Well biggest problem for me is when a post ask a question we only do new work i never think about if it ran before never doing service work we only think bad taps wrong wiring . So to the op did it run before ya did the work or is this a service call ? best to ya
nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10
Smile tripping issue

one of the winding of motor may be open ...
so in star motor runs completely and during changeover in delta motor gets tripped...
rjnitesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnitesh View Post
one of the winding of motor may be open ...
so in star motor runs completely and during changeover in delta motor gets tripped...
This thread is over 4 years old. I hope that he found the answer/solution by now.