Starting work again Monday - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Dennis Alwon
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By Palm
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By 99cents
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 2 Post By drewsserviceco

Old 07-23-2016, 02:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 491
Default Starting work again Monday

I'm going back to electrical after almost a year off. Last construction job I was on was a year ago and then went to install ski lifts for a few months. Been out of the field since December. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I don't want to look like a fool for being a third year apprentice but you loose some finer points of tHe trade and some skills after not using them. Any tips or tricks, new tools, etc to get me back into it.

I'm going back, but this time I joined the union and will be completing my apprentice with them. I have decided that this is the best route for many reason, first is the training, I want to be the best JW I can be and I feel this is the path to accomplish anything that. Then there's the money, best paying electrical job I've had to date.

I report Monday for my first assignment and have been told that it's going to be big 60-70 bed assisted living facility. I guess what I'm wondering is should I try and show what I know or show some humility and tell my journeyman that I've been out for a while and it might take a little to get back in to the swing of things?
icdubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,264

Just do your best without trying to show others up... It is difficult for a foreman or others who have been there longer than you have been to listen to a know it all. Just do your assigned job he best that you know how.

If you see something that looks incorrect tell the foreman you noticed something and thst you thought it might be a code issue-- don't push it rightaway
readydave8 and Majewski like this.
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:27 AM   #3
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,008

Do what is asked of you, follow the chain of command and shelved skills will come back rapidly. Best of luck and hope you enjoy being back.
Majewski likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2016, 09:38 AM   #4
No Tie Self

Rewards Points: 120

Carry your dues receipt and not much more than the maximum tool list, until you learn otherwise. It's better to remain silent, ignoring/pushing through any decline in skills from the absence, rather than call others' attention to it.
Majewski likes this.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palm View Post
Carry your dues receipt and not much more than the maximum tool list, until you learn otherwise. It's better to remain silent, ignoring/pushing through any decline in skills from the absence, rather than call others' attention to it.
In a lifetime of Union involvement this has never been an issue anywhere I've ever been. WHo do you think is going to come up and ask to see it ? Are you in an area that has Union enforcers roaming jobs?
Majewski likes this.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #6
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,673

A year isn't a long time. You still have muscle memory and a lot of information stored in your cranium that will come back to you. Go with the flow and don't try to impress anybody.
Majewski likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #7
No Tie Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
In a lifetime of Union involvement this has never been an issue anywhere I've ever been. WHo do you think is going to come up and ask to see it ? Are you in an area that has Union enforcers roaming jobs?
Is he told to carry it?
Old 07-23-2016, 10:33 AM   #8
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palm View Post
Is he told to carry it?
I don't know, is he? I never was.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #9
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,653

Quote:
Yup. Organizers, BAs, and shop stewards from nearby jobs. Hell, any IBEW member can challenge you for your card. I used to do it a lot more often when I would see guys doing electrical work in retail stores. If they didn't show me their card (or at least convince me that they were union) I would call up that territory's organizer to let him know.
Majewski likes this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:37 AM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Yup. Organizers, BAs, and shop stewards from nearby jobs. Hell, any IBEW member can challenge you for your card. I used to do it a lot more often when I would see guys doing electrical work in retail stores. If they didn't show me their card (or at least convince me that they were union) I would call up that territory's organizer to let him know.
I have been asked if I was Union but never asked for my card. More often than not it was in my wallet and not on my person.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:39 AM   #11
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,653

Quote:
I don't know, is he? I never was.
I don't know about your union or your local, but in the IBEW and every local I know of, carrying your dues receipt at all times is a requirement. I remember having the shop steward go around and ask apprentices for their's as a random test.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:41 AM   #12
No Tie Self

Some are always the last to know. I'm curious to learn if people in authority at his local are advising it.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:43 AM   #13
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I don't know about your union or your local, but in the IBEW and every local I know of, carrying your dues receipt at all times is a requirement. I remember having the shop steward go around and ask apprentices for their's as a random test.
You were a 102 guy?

Old 07-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2

Any reasonable foreman can quickly identify a good egg in a short amount of time. Keep your eyes open and your mouth closed. Standing out is usually not a good thing and I've seen guys last way longer then they should have just by blending in. Don't be a squeaky wheel.

-Many apprentices underestimate the value of showing up on time prepared to work.

-Do what you're instructed as efficiently as you know, if you don't understand a task, ask clarifying questions. As mentioned above, tact will go a long way. Beware of sharpshooting your JW/Foreman.

-Try to stay busy, always be doing something.

-Work your tasks to a completed state before moving on to something else. Nobody wants to come behind a worker to find what they thought was completed is only half done, it can really mess with the foreman's planning.

I wouldn't necessarily volunteer your time off during your first conversation with anyone. If they ask, sure. If it comes up through normal conversation, sure. I wouldn't want you to paint yourself in a certain light when it may not even be necessary.
MechanicalDVR and Majewski like this.
drewsserviceco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:11 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,372

Quote:
Originally Posted by icdubois View Post
I guess what I'm wondering is should I try and show what I know or show some humility and tell my journeyman that I've been out for a while and it might take a little to get back in to the swing of things?
Above all working people admire honesty and integrity !
So don't bull**** to them, or pretend to be what your not !
They might rib you a little at first,
but long run they will respect your honesty.
Best road always !

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:47 AM   #16
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
Above all working people admire honesty and integrity !
So don't bull**** to them, or pretend to be what your not !
They might rib you a little at first,
but long run they will respect your honesty.
Best road always !

Be aware of guys that don't rib you a little.