Still safe to run portable heaters? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dennis Alwon
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 11:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default Still safe to run portable heaters?

Hi everyone I hope I'm posting in the right place.

This is some what of a long story so please hang in there with me

So about 3weeks ago our heater went out in our home

So we were using the portable space heaters for our rooms
so my daughter plugs her space heater in and it flips a breaker
So we flipped the breaker back and it never flipped throughout the night again

So the next day we had two heaters running in the living room we had them on about 2 hours, then my daughter plugged her heater in in her room and the breaker flips again (same breaker) so we went to flip the breaker back up but everytime we did it went right back down so in the midst of flipping the breaker we were hearing a buzzing sound coming from the attic so as I glanced up I see lighting through the attic entrance door and buy this time were smelling something burning.

So we immediately called the fire department out of fear that our attic is possibly on fire long story short it wasn't thank goodness!

So the next day an electrician comes out and finds that a wire had been completely burned through and separated as well as another wire showing some burn marks (the lighting that I seen through the attic and buzzing he said was the sound of the bare wires touching and the smell, the insulation getting burned) OK so of course we had all the wires replaced. And that was that.

BUT what's still on my mind is was it the heaters that caused the wires to burn?
Was it possibly a rodent or something chewed through the wire (the one that got separated) and that made the wire weak? what was causing the other wires to start to show burn marks?

It is a older home, we've only been here about 2 years, we did have something getting into the attic as we would hear scurrying at night so we had the whole outside of the home sealed and have never heard anything since.

So my main question is it safe to still use a space heater every now and then?

I indeed did ask the electrician and he said he recommends to use the heater on the lowest setting which is 750watts

(Also btw we all had our heaters on the highest settings which were 1500w)

I honestly didn't think to ask the other questions I'm asking now I was actually quite sick to my stomach and couldn't really focus when he told me that if it wasn't for the flame ******ant insulation that the situation could've been alot worse.

So I do apologize for the long post anymore questions or if there's something I left out please ask and I will answer.

Thank you all.
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2018, 04:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,162

You really need to talk to your electrician. I doubt the wiring broke because of the heater and if I had to guess- squirrels got into it. We have worked on one house 3 times because of squirrels in the attic chewing thru the cables.

You really would be better off getting your main heater working but at the lowest setting it may work fine. If the breaker trips then don't keep resetting it.

I am sorry but I need to close this thread as this site is for professionals in the trade
electricguy and The_Modifier like this.
Closed Thread