Stoopy Tool Question - Page 2 - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Awg-Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dayton Ohio
Posts: 3,171
Rewards Points: 362
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janagyjr View Post
No Home Depots nearby, also, I do not shop with them. Period.


Wassup wit dat?
__________________
I feel sorry for people who don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's the best they will feel all day.
Awg-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #22
God-fearing Volt-head
 
janagyjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: McMinnville, TN, USA
Posts: 1,221
Rewards Points: 536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumnut08 View Post
Wow , lowes doesn't carry 1" benders , huh ? I bought all mine at a supply house years ago . A decent supply house should stock a 1" EMT bender though !
I'm going to see if I can order one from my supply house. Lowe's used to have 1" EMT benders, now they just have 1" IMC. I'm not sure what's up.
__________________
Owner, Trinity Electrical and Handyman Services
All original content licensed via the OWL (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) from date of post.
janagyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #23
God-fearing Volt-head
 
janagyjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: McMinnville, TN, USA
Posts: 1,221
Rewards Points: 536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awg-Dawg View Post
Wassup wit dat?
I have my reasons. (:
__________________
Owner, Trinity Electrical and Handyman Services
All original content licensed via the OWL (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) from date of post.
janagyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #24
Coffee drinking member
 
Wirenuting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 11,966
Rewards Points: 5,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janagyjr

I'm going to see if I can order one from my supply house. Lowe's used to have 1" EMT benders, now they just have 1" IMC. I'm not sure what's up.
A 1" is the only size I don't have. It's the luck I the draw that I don't need it very often. When I do I borrow a co-workers. I offer my 1 1/4 bender, but they never want to borrow it. LoL
__________________
Teacher, my brain is full... Can I go home now?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wirenuting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Deep Cover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SE WI
Posts: 2,923
Rewards Points: 2,024
Default

For those that are skeptical as I was, go to their website and search for conduit benders. Unbelievable.
Deep Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deep Cover For This Useful Post:
drumnut08 (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #26
Moderator
 
John Valdes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 15,619
Rewards Points: 2,842
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janagyjr View Post
I'm going to see if I can order one from my supply house. Lowe's used to have 1" EMT benders, now they just have 1" IMC. I'm not sure what's up.
Are you certain its really an IMC bender? If its marked on the shelf, I bet its wrong. Big Blue does not even sell IMC.
Are you getting this info from the bender itself? Or from the item tag?

Why would they even stock a ridged bender? They stock EMT to 1"?

Make zero sense.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Valdes For This Useful Post:
drumnut08 (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
drumnut08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New jersey
Posts: 2,559
Rewards Points: 1,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes

Are you certain its really an IMC bender? If its marked on the shelf, I bet its wrong. Big Blue does not even sell IMC.
Are you getting this info from the bender itself? Or from the item tag?

Why would they even stock a ridged bender? They stock EMT to 1"?

Make zero sense.
I just went on my lowes app . Sure enough , the kid is right . They're calling everything an IMC bender . If its wrong on the site , I'm sure everything in the stores is tagged wrong too .
drumnut08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #28
God-fearing Volt-head
 
janagyjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: McMinnville, TN, USA
Posts: 1,221
Rewards Points: 536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
Are you certain its really an IMC bender? If its marked on the shelf, I bet its wrong. Big Blue does not even sell IMC.
Are you getting this info from the bender itself? Or from the item tag?

Why would they even stock a ridged bender? They stock EMT to 1"?

Make zero sense.
Several others have confirmed it, they are on the website and in-store (I called, got someone who really doesn't know their tools though, kept on having to repeat myself, "no, not 1" conduit, 1" conduit bender for EMT). I will have to order online it looks like.

I really do appreciate the lesson on the difference in benders, though I do need more bender heads, the right tool for the job is always best.
__________________
Owner, Trinity Electrical and Handyman Services
All original content licensed via the OWL (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) from date of post.
janagyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
drumnut08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New jersey
Posts: 2,559
Rewards Points: 1,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janagyjr

Several others have confirmed it, they are on the website and in-store (I called, got someone who really doesn't know their tools though, kept on having to repeat myself, "no, not 1" conduit, 1" conduit bender for EMT). I will have to order online it looks like.

I really do appreciate the lesson on the difference in benders, though I do need more bender heads, the right tool for the job is always best.
I really think what lowes carries are EMT benders , but are listed as IMC . A 1" EMT bender will bend 3/4" IMC or rigid and a 3/4" EMT bender will also bend 1/2" IMC and rigid . It is stamped on the bender shoe as to what it will bend . Often it will say that it does both EMT and heavy wall . If you're looking for a 1" EMT bender , lowes has them but they're calling them IMC benders because they're a box store and don't know their ass from a hole in the ground ! Go to lowes a d look at one close . It shod say what it is meant for on it . No hand bender is purpose built just for EMT or rigid , they're meant to be universal . This is one reason I hate lowes , lol ! Good luck !
drumnut08 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drumnut08 For This Useful Post:
janagyjr (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #30
God-fearing Volt-head
 
janagyjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: McMinnville, TN, USA
Posts: 1,221
Rewards Points: 536
Default

I was about to ask about that as I found this just a moment ago. I'm really reconsidering what I get though the box I want for the job apparently doesn't have 3/4" ko's (all I need is a 3/4" EMT for 4 conductors (1/2" for 2 conductors, but this is 240V/50A circuit, so need 3 6AWG conductors and the ground which isn't counted for conduit fill purposes IIRC) which I find odd, honestly, so I'm upping everything to 1" which is overkill.
__________________
Owner, Trinity Electrical and Handyman Services
All original content licensed via the OWL (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) from date of post.
janagyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
drumnut08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New jersey
Posts: 2,559
Rewards Points: 1,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janagyjr
I was about to ask about that as I found this just a moment ago. I'm really reconsidering what I get though the box I want for the job apparently doesn't have 3/4" ko's (all I need is a 3/4" EMT for 4 conductors (1/2" for 2 conductors, but this is 240V/50A circuit, so need 3 6AWG conductors and the ground which isn't counted for conduit fill purposes IIRC) which I find odd, honestly, so I'm upping everything to 1" which is overkill.
The welder does need a neutral ? Regardless , you can fit 4 # 6 thhn / thwn copper conductors in a 3/4" EMT . Most welders I've hooked up are straight 240 volt single phase and a ground , but you may have something different there ?
drumnut08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #32
God-fearing Volt-head
 
janagyjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: McMinnville, TN, USA
Posts: 1,221
Rewards Points: 536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumnut08 View Post
The welder does need a neutral ? Regardless , you can fit 4 # 6 thhn / thwn copper conductors in a 3/4" EMT . Most welders I've hooked up are straight 240 volt single phase and a ground , but you may have something different there ?
I can, but the box I'm ordering for the receptacle doesn't have 3/4" ko's according to my supply house.
__________________
Owner, Trinity Electrical and Handyman Services
All original content licensed via the OWL (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) from date of post.
janagyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
drumnut08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New jersey
Posts: 2,559
Rewards Points: 1,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janagyjr

I can, but the box I'm ordering for the receptacle doesn't have 3/4" ko's according to my supply house.
I'd personally use a 2 1/8" deep 2100 ( 4 11/16 " square ) box with a raised device cover for this . Not sure what you ordered , but you can get these and 4" squares ( 1900 boxes) with 1/2" , 3/4" , or 1" knockouts if you want ? If not , a unibit will make any size you need .
drumnut08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #34
corn-fused
 
papaotis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: on the river, near the corn
Posts: 4,769
Rewards Points: 620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumnut08 View Post
I just went on my lowes app . Sure enough , the kid is right . They're calling everything an IMC bender . If its wrong on the site , I'm sure everything in the stores is tagged wrong too .
imagine that, lowes gettin it wrong!
papaotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #35
God-fearing Volt-head
 
janagyjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: McMinnville, TN, USA
Posts: 1,221
Rewards Points: 536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumnut08 View Post
I'd personally use a 2 1/8" deep 2100 ( 4 11/16 " square ) box with a raised device cover for this . Not sure what you ordered , but you can get these and 4" squares ( 1900 boxes) with 1/2" , 3/4" , or 1" knockouts if you want ? If not , a unibit will make any size you need .
4 11/16" box is what I ordered on recommendation in another thread. If a 4" will do, I'll go with that then. I'm tired of all this run-around.
__________________
Owner, Trinity Electrical and Handyman Services
All original content licensed via the OWL (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) from date of post.
janagyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
drumnut08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New jersey
Posts: 2,559
Rewards Points: 1,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janagyjr

4 11/16" box is what I ordered on recommendation in another thread. If a 4" will do, I'll go with that then. I'm tired of all this run-around.
For # 6 I prefer a 4 11/16" box . A few more cubic inches helps with bigger wire . Either will work though .
drumnut08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #37
God-fearing Volt-head
 
janagyjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: McMinnville, TN, USA
Posts: 1,221
Rewards Points: 536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumnut08 View Post
For # 6 I prefer a 4 11/16" box . A few more cubic inches helps with bigger wire . Either will work though .
I would like to get the bigger one myself. I'll see what my supply house has when I pay them for the materials I used on my Knoxville job. If I can get it with 3/4" ko, I'll go with 3/4" emt and bender head (which they do have). Otherwise I'll have to get the 1" bender head from Lowe's.

Also, I found a good cataloge of bender's from Garnder. Are they any good? I might use another local supply house and pick up my bender head from there instead (they have a 3/4" Gardner bender with a built-in bubble-level).
__________________
Owner, Trinity Electrical and Handyman Services
All original content licensed via the OWL (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) from date of post.
janagyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #38
Tool Fetish
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: new jersey
Posts: 716
Rewards Points: 500
Default

I don't think that you have a catalogue of benders from "Garnder". I think that you have a tool catalogue from "Gardner Bender", GB for short, that has benders in it. Their stuff is OK.
SteveBayshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #39
Part Time A hole
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 102
Rewards Points: 75
Default

The built in level is a kick ass feature imo..
pistol pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #40
God-fearing Volt-head
 
janagyjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: McMinnville, TN, USA
Posts: 1,221
Rewards Points: 536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBayshore View Post
I don't think that you have a catalogue of benders from "Garnder". I think that you have a tool catalogue from "Gardner Bender", GB for short, that has benders in it. Their stuff is OK.
Please forgive my typo.
__________________
Owner, Trinity Electrical and Handyman Services
All original content licensed via the OWL (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) from date of post.
janagyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to janagyjr For This Useful Post:
SteveBayshore (07-26-2013)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Klein Tool bag question ericg2000 Tools, Equipment and New Products 2 06-04-2011 01:57 PM
Tool List question scott_8222 Union Topics 46 10-25-2010 07:16 PM
Another tool bag question lectric_hand6855 Tools, Equipment and New Products 11 10-05-2010 10:35 PM
Question about a tool ToddH General Electrical Discussion 15 07-16-2010 06:00 PM
tool question drizt27 Union Topics 30 03-10-2010 10:02 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com