Stuff I see at (fill in the blank) - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree28Likes
  • 3 Post By macmikeman
  • 3 Post By HackWork
  • 4 Post By matt1124
  • 3 Post By frenchelectrican
  • 4 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 3 Post By matt1124
  • 2 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 2 Post By SummitElectric1
  • 2 Post By LARMGUY
  • 1 Post By matt1124
  • 1 Post By emtnut

Old 10-15-2017, 01:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 296
Default Stuff I see at (fill in the blank)

Today I needed a two inch grounding bushing. So I was going by Lowes and stopped. I walk by a guy with a cart, he has a Siemens panel and two Sq D HOM breakers in it. Normally I keep my mouth shut, but I thought I'd help out. Told him the breakers aren't made for that panel. He told me they were. I should have walked away. I said "No they aren't listed to fit that panel". He said he tried them and they fit fine. I told him they have 50 amp Siemens breakers. He told me the wire wouldn't fit. He then explained this was for a RV and 3/0 wire wouldn't fit in the Siemens breaker. I then walked away.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2017, 01:27 PM   #2
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,315

When I clicked this thread I though it was really going to be a "fill in the blank" thread . So I was going to tell you about the thongs I see on my way home when I follow the beach route........
Old 10-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,801

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
When I clicked this thread I though it was really going to be a "fill in the blank" thread . So I was going to tell you about the thongs I see on my way home when I follow the beach route........
Yes in all these years you have never once posted a pic of these chicks... Such bologna.
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
Magic Smoke Remover

Rewards Points: 1,966

I used to always drive past this house in the summer, it was college chicks in bikinis, they had a trampoline and a pool. Guess they moved away, never see them anymore, just the ugly shirtless dad cleaning the pool.

I think it's funny at Lowe's when people are in the electrical isle on the phone. "Yeah, I got the hard blue box dealies and the yellow wire. Do I need to get any switches for the fuse box?"
matt1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:02 PM   #5
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstay View Post
Today I needed a two inch grounding bushing. So I was going by Lowes and stopped. I walk by a guy with a cart, he has a Siemens panel and two Sq D HOM breakers in it. Normally I keep my mouth shut, but I thought I'd help out. Told him the breakers aren't made for that panel. He told me they were. I should have walked away. I said "No they aren't listed to fit that panel". He said he tried them and they fit fine. I told him they have 50 amp Siemens breakers. He told me the wire wouldn't fit. He then explained this was for a RV and 3/0 wire wouldn't fit in the Siemens breaker. I then walked away.

Sound like some bakas ( idiots ) was watching too much tool time and think the bigger is better
Old 10-15-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,018

I like seeing mc cable, blue carlon boxes, carflex, and conduit fittings in a cart pushed by a woman in Lowes.

I never say a word because the one time I did I got the "my husband is an engineer" story.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:05 PM   #7
Premium Member

Rewards Points: 3,995

How about when people at these stores see my shirt with the logo, and start asking me questions.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:10 PM   #8
Magic Smoke Remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronai View Post
How about when people at these stores see my shirt with the logo, and start asking me questions.
I'll usually help if it's simple. Based on when the house was built you can recommend 3 or 4 wire dryer cords.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:11 PM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
When I'm up in MD folks tend to listen to the paid aisle walkers in H Depot rather than ask or listen to someone that looks like a professional that may charge for advice or tell them something that might be code like and cost more.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:21 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 100

Quote:
When I'm shopping in a big-box store and I get stopped by a customer that notices the logo on my shirt my reply is simple...

"I'm here to pick up supplies for a job that another customer is paying me for right now so I am on the clock and on their dime. Would you like to schedule an appointment for $xxx.xx during which I can fix your problem or install your electrical...". And then I take out my phone and open Google Calendar and ask for their contact information and whether a Tuesday or Wednesday appointment in 3-4 weeks would work best. No appointment, no free electrical advice.

What really scares me is when I overhear one of those shoppers asking an employee for electrical instruction and hearing advice that is way off base. It always amuses me, but never surprises me to hear the things that some people actually believe are acceptable when it comes to electrical work. MechDVR's post about Carlon boxes and MC gets played out daily in the big box stores in metro Atlanta.
circuitman1 and Nutmegger777 like this.
SummitElectric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:54 PM   #11
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Yes in all these years you have never once posted a pic of these chicks... Such bologna.
Who said they were chicks?
emtnut and CynthiaMarie like this.

LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:10 PM   #12
Magic Smoke Remover

Home Depot actually had a mock up of a breaker panel back fed for a generator. Mounted to the shelving, wires going everywhere. No interlock, hell, no clamps even in the knockouts. I found the manager and demanded they remove it. I explained that this arrangement will electrocute a lineman and when they do manage to re-establish service, the generator will catch fire. I had photos of it and the instructions about turning off the main first, and if it didn't come down, I would follow the instructions and intentionally cause a fire and we would go into litigation. It was gone the next day I went in there and I've never seen a "demonstration" there ever again.
mpoulton likes this.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:53 PM   #13
Band Member

Rewards Points: 878

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1124 View Post
Home Depot actually had a mock up of a breaker panel back fed for a generator. Mounted to the shelving, wires going everywhere. No interlock, hell, no clamps even in the knockouts. I found the manager and demanded they remove it. I explained that this arrangement will electrocute a lineman and when they do manage to re-establish service, the generator will catch fire. I had photos of it and the instructions about turning off the main first, and if it didn't come down, I would follow the instructions and intentionally cause a fire and we would go into litigation. It was gone the next day I went in there and I've never seen a "demonstration" there ever again.
Party pooper
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:54 PM   #14
Band Member

Rewards Points: 878

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARMGUY View Post
Who said they were chicks?
I was LMAO, .... until I got the visual ... I don't know if I can forgive you for that
CynthiaMarie likes this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote